4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2008 2:07 AM by Sarthak Singhal

CS3- Text roll over effect

j razz1
      Instead of turning all of my text into graphics, is it not possible in fireworks to connect a hotspot to a slice that covers a text object? If it is, how can I do this in Fireworks. I can do it in Sitespinner (a cheap program).

Basically I have an area on my page that I want text to appear when the target is touched by the mouse. When it leaves the target, I want the text to disappear. When the next target is moused over, I want it to appear in the same place and then disappear when the mouse leaves the target. Tell me I am missing something simple.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: CS3- Text roll over effect
          pixlor Level 4
          quote:

Originally posted by: j razz1
          Instead of turning all of my text into graphics, is it not possible in fireworks to connect a hotspot to a slice that covers a text object? If it is, how can I do this in Fireworks. I can do it in Sitespinner (a cheap program).

Basically I have an area on my page that I want text to appear when the target is touched by the mouse. When it leaves the target, I want the text to disappear. When the next target is moused over, I want it to appear in the same place and then disappear when the mouse leaves the target. Tell me I am missing something simple.

Thanks

Sitespinner is a home-use WYSIWYG HTML authoring program. Fireworks is a professional-level Web graphics program. The professional-level HTML authoring program is Dreamweaver.

Fireworks can export HTML, but it is intended for mockups, not production code. If you make a slice, Fireworks exports that as a graphic, because that's how it works. If you want a hidden layer with text on it to appear and disappear, then you need to do that in HTML code, using an HTML authoring program or a text editor.

• 2. Re: CS3- Text roll over effect
            j razz1 Level 1
            Dreamweaver is a WYSIWYG editor as well. Can I do that in Dreamweaver CS3 without having to go into the html coding? If so, can you point me to where I can allow for such an effect? Thanks.
            • 3. Re: CS3- Text roll over effect
              pixlor Level 4
              Um...no, I don't use that effect, but maybe if you ask on the Dreamweaver forum? Otherwise, it should be a simple matter of coding for the visibility of a layer (<div>)..
              • 4. Re: CS3- Text roll over effect
                Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
                It is easily possible in Fireworks CS3.

Just create the desired graphic object. Select it and goto Edit->Insert-> Rectangle/polygon slice.

Now create a new Frame in the Frames panel which can be accessed from Window->Frames. It will be default Frame 2 and the graphic will automatically be contained on Frame 1.

Enter the text you wish to appear on the roll over effect.Go back to Frame 1 and on the slice at the center is a dial icon. Click on it and select the "Add Simple RollOver Behavior"

Now preview the file is a browser. It should work.