10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2007 5:34 PM by steveegge

Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7

rcshield
      We are using a pop-up menu on our Web site that was created in Macromedia Fireworks (mm_menu.js). The menus look fine in IE 6; however, the menu items are cut off in IE 7. Please take a look:

http://www.calbaptist.edu

Please let me know what can be done to correct this issue.

RS
        • 1. Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
          ~brenda~
          I am having the same problem on all sites made with the fireworks menu. It is only happening when using IE 7. I too am looking for a fix for this.
          • 2. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
            Cheryl_(CGA)
            Try changing all your spaces in the menu wording to non-breaking spaces (i.e. ampersand nbsp semi-colon). That solved it for us. Good luck.
            • 3. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
              bobby bro
              The   trick. You also might need to replace any dashes (-) in your menu with  

I am having a terrible time with the mm_menu items not being seen on the main state because they are defined as italic. IE7 doesn't recognize it, so I'm pulling it from the code. I noticed that there is already a hack for Opera provided in line 141 of the file "mm_menu.js". Here is what the problematic line of code looks like in my menu JavaScript:
              mm_menu_0715120903_0.fontStyle="italic";

which is where a menu ends, so it's on the line above this below:
              mm_menu_0715120903_0.hideOnMouseOut=true;
              mm_menu_0715120903_0.menuBorder=1;
              mm_menu_0715120903_0.menuLiteBgColor='#ffffff';
              mm_menu_0715120903_0.menuBorderBgColor='#555555';
              mm_menu_0715120903_0.bgColor='#000000';

Does anyone know a hack that I can add for IE7 into the mm_menu.js file so that I don't have to throw out the italics out of my drop-down?
              • 4. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
                rcshield Level 1
                Thank you, Cheryl (CGA)! It worked!

Robert Shields
                • 5. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
                  RobertKent
                  quote:

Originally posted by: bobby bro
                  The   trick. You also might need to replace any dashes (-) in your menu with  

I am having a terrible time with the mm_menu items not being seen on the main state because they are defined as italic. IE7 doesn't recognize it, so I'm pulling it from the code. I noticed that there is already a hack for Opera provided in line 141 of the file "mm_menu.js". Here is what the problematic line of code looks like in my menu JavaScript:
                  mm_menu_0715120903_0.fontStyle="italic";

which is where a menu ends, so it's on the line above this below:
                  mm_menu_0715120903_0.hideOnMouseOut=true;
                  mm_menu_0715120903_0.menuBorder=1;
                  mm_menu_0715120903_0.menuLiteBgColor='#ffffff';
                  mm_menu_0715120903_0.menuBorderBgColor='#555555';
                  mm_menu_0715120903_0.bgColor='#000000';

Does anyone know a hack that I can add for IE7 into the mm_menu.js file so that I don't have to throw out the italics out of my drop-down?

bobby bro - did anybody get back to you on this? I have an italics drop down which all browsers except IE 7 render just fine - and I really prefer the italics . . . my menu came from Fireworks 8 - would love any suggestions you might have. Can I, for instance, patch the menu.js file to behave differently for IE 7 (so everyone else gets the italics, and IE 7 users at least get menus they can see . . . ) If so - how?

thanks,
                  RK
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
                    BrianH88
                    This is insane. Where is the update for Fireworks that resolves this issue?

Adobe seems to be too busy making new toys to support it's existing customers. Alas, they do have a monopoly now. So what choice do I have but to hack my way through their broken products?
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
                      Level 7
                      Realize that they can't be all things to all people. I too think the menus
                      stink, but I've gone on and worked with other products.

Afterall, are there any other graphics programs that even attempt to make
                      menu? Obviously they need to update it, but I bet their focus is the graphic
                      side, not the broken menus.

"BrianH88" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:emgu19$ber$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > This is insane. Where is the update for Fireworks that resolves this
                      > issue?
                      >
                      > Adobe seems to be too busy making new toys to support it's existing
                      > customers.
                      > Alas, they do have a monopoly now. So what choice do I have but to hack my
                      > way
                      > through their broken products?
                      >

• 8. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
                        ChrisGarner
                        Given that Fireworks 8 is one of the graphic flagships of the industry, I am shattered that adobe has not fixed the pop up menu problem that occurs in IE 7. Firefox 8 is the current version and it is an ominous sign that nothing is being done to address this. The silence is deafening.
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
                          ChrisGarner Level 1
                          Given that Fireworks 8 is one of the graphic flagships of the industry, I am shattered that adobe has not fixed the pop up menu problem that occurs in IE 7. Firefox 8 is the current version and it is an ominous sign that nothing is being done to address this. The silence is deafening.
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks Pop-Up Menu in IE 7
                            steveegge
                            I also had this problem and found another solution on the net..... it is easy to implement.

the answer can be found on http://www.cre8asiteforums.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t42213.html

link to answer

basicly ... go to mm_menu.js and change line 136

var itemProps = ''; <= CHANGE THIS LINE TO => var itemProps = 'white-space:nowrap;';

in other words just paste var itemProps = 'white-space:nowrap;'; over the old line of code .... worked on our site

Steve Egge