9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2007 9:34 AM by C. Agruss (Adobe)

Bug in the flex builder installer

pombreda
      I found a bug in the Flex builder installer, while someone tried to install Flex on top of our EasyEclipse eclipse distro.
      I am making a post here since I could not find a way to report a bug anywhere on the Adobe web site :-\
      So the bug is that the installer is looking for an eclipse installation that is packaged exactly like the Eclipse platform, but also specifically checks for the presence of features named org.eclipse.rcp and org.eclipse.platform.
      Yet the flex features themselves do not care about other features only about the platform plugins to be present, as it shoudl be.
      It is considered a bad practice by the Eclipse platform team to have a dependecy on features, and it is recommended to use instead plugin depdencies.

See http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering#Versioning_features

As a result, Flex cannot be installed anywhere but on a vanilla Eclipse.

EasyEclipse does not ship the base features of the Eclipse platform, yet all the Flex plugins dependencies are statisfied.
      See our forum for more details:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3982548
        • 1. Re: Bug in the flex builder installer
          C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3
          Thanks for pointing that out. We'll take a close look at that to see if we can relax our current dependencies.

C. Agruss, Flex Builder Team
          • 2. Re: Bug in the flex builder installer
            wbailey4
            I have questions related to this problem.

a) Is this a problem with the on-disk installer (i.e. the purchased version) or only the trial download?
            b) Has it been fixed?

I ask this because I am having problems getting Flex Builder 2 to install and since I have at least two other Eclipse based tools installed on my machine I am suspecting my problem may be related. Each time I launch the installer, it unpacks all the files and gets as far as Installing Disk1... followed briefly by Installing Windows... and then the installer just exits. No error. Nothing.

I check the installed programs list and no Flex. I check the default install directory ... doesn't exist. It simply refuses to install. No errors in the windows event log. And if there is an install log, I'll be darned if I've been able to find it.

Although I am working with the trial version for now, I have purchased the full-blown version and am waiting on the shipment. I am going to be a most unhappy customer if I get the disk and it refuses to install on the same machine with my other dev tools.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate a timely response as I have invested a significant sum of money in this tool.

Thanks.

Bill Bailey
            • 3. Re: Bug in the flex builder installer
              wbailey4 Level 1
              I should mention that I've tried both installs (i.e. standalone and plug-in) and neither works. One time the plug-in version made it to the screen where you choose an Eclipse home and as soon as I clicked the Choose button, the installer disappeared. I have downloaded the file multiple times, both with Firefox and IE7. I have cleaned out my temp directory, pointed my temp env variable to a different directory, and about everything else I could think of, but absolutely no luck. If I could at least find a log file or otherwise force the darn installer to give me some feedback maybe I would have some hope of finding out why it fails, but with no error or anything I'm completely in the dark.
              • 4. Re: Bug in the flex builder installer
                wbailey4 Level 1
                One more bit of info. The other two Eclipse based tools I have installed are the BEA Workshop Studio and MyEclipse. I have them installed in two separate Eclipse homes because both tools are very feature rich and I had some issues get them to play well together in the same Eclipse home. I'd like to install Flex in a third Eclipse home, but I'd settle for adding it to either or both of the other two Eclipse homes if that is what it takes to get it running.
                • 5. Re: Bug in the flex builder installer
                  wbailey4 Level 1
                  I solved my own problem (after much pain and suffering). It turned out to have nothing to do with Eclipse.

I finally found the log file (for those of you who, like me, don't know where to look ... they are in C:\Windows\Temp and if there is a JVM abort (as there was in this case) the hs_err_pid###.log file is in C:\Windows\Temp\Downloaded Installers\subinstallers .... in the subdirectory for the version you are installing (plugin or standalone).

I found this hs_err_pid file and it contained a Bad Frame (paraphrase ... file is now gone) error in hmw_dll.dll. After a bit of research I discovered this DLL is part of Kensington Mouse Works (for my wireless mouse). Apparently, the version of the JRE that the installer runs with has some conflict with this DLL. So I uninstalled the Kensington software and tried again .... and it worked! Then I reinstalled the Kensington software so my mouse would work again and everything so far seems to be working ok (I guess only installer had a conflict with this DLL).

Might want to add this one to the common installer problems. When I searched for kmw_dll.dll on google I got lots of hits (most not related to my problem) which suggests there are lots of other people using this same DLL who might have the same issue.

Bill

• 6. Re: Bug in the flex builder installer
                    Getting back to the original message in this thread, I want to post an update about what I learned on digging deeper. The Flex Builder 2.0.1 Plug-in version does not require a vanilla eclipse to install into, but it does impose some minimal constraints. Before release, we installed FB 2.0.1 Plug-in successfully with several customized Eclipse configurations, including RSA7 and BEA, each of which uses a different folder configuration for its product extension point.

I took a close look at the dependency list for our FB 2.0.1 features, and these have been plugin-based dependencies all along, not feature dependencies. I understand why it might appear as if they're feature-based though, because our installer requires that the feature named org.eclipse.platform be present.

We have the installer look for that feature, because that's the way Eclipse's update manager reports what's already installed and available. Eclipse's commandline API for updates only provides Feature info, not Plugin info:
                    http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/mis c/update_standalone.html

The FB Plug-in installer checks for the existence of org.eclipse.platform so that we have some assurance that the version of eclipse proposed is at least version 3.1.2 or higher. In our next release, we'll explore alternate way of gleaning this same information, with the intention of allowing plug-in installs into products such as EasyEclipse that don't include any Eclipse features in their products.

C. Agruss

quote:

Originally posted by: pombreda
                    I found a bug in the Flex builder installer, while someone tried to install Flex on top of our EasyEclipse eclipse distro.
                    I am making a post here since I could not find a way to report a bug anywhere on the Adobe web site :-\
                    So the bug is that the installer is looking for an eclipse installation that is packaged exactly like the Eclipse platform, but also specifically checks for the presence of features named org.eclipse.rcp and org.eclipse.platform.
                    Yet the flex features themselves do not care about other features only about the platform plugins to be present, as it shoudl be.
                    It is considered a bad practice by the Eclipse platform team to have a dependecy on features, and it is recommended to use instead plugin depdencies.

See http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering#Versioning_features

As a result, Flex cannot be installed anywhere but on a vanilla Eclipse.

EasyEclipse does not ship the base features of the Eclipse platform, yet all the Flex plugins dependencies are statisfied.
                    See our forum for more details:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3982548

• 7. Bug in the flex builder installer
                      pombreda Level 1
                      Chris:
                      Whetther or not you make feature level dependencies in your installer or in your feature has the same effect.
                      You are making yourself dependent on the certain way the eclipse platform has been packaged in a certain non-universal context.
                      Thanks for looking into it!
                      I would be glad to help in any way possible.
                      Cordially
                      • 8. Re: Bug in the flex builder installer
                        pombreda Level 1
                        PS: I would gladly help you create an OSGI level plugin dependency resolver, that would check that all the plugins you need are there.
                        Feel free to email me directly:
                        pom at nexb dot com
                        • 9. Re: Bug in the flex builder installer
                          Pom, thanks for the offer.

I don't think we'll need to go to that length though. More likely, we'll just switch the current error in the installer to a warning, when it can't find org.eclipse.platform, allowing you to proceed at your own risk in that situation. The installer is just doing some pre-install checking at that point, to make sure that the path chosen has a reasonable chance of being able to support Flex Builder. When we invoke eclipse's update manager afterwards to actually install our features, the update manager does the full dependency check at that time, and will log errors if the plugin dependencies aren't satisfied.

Is the reason that you don't include org.eclipse.platform with EasyEclipse that you don't want to include all of the plugins associated with that feature, or do you actually include them all, but just don't wish to include the parent feature manifest?

In the absence of org.eclipse.platform, perhaps we could check for EasyEclipse's own core feature as a viable alternative. Would you send me the name and version number of EasyEclipse's current feature, that you believe will support Flex Builder 2.0.1?

Thanks,

C. Agruss, Flex Builder Team