5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 11:21 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I create a DVD containing many videos?

Ferro1945

I have used Premiere Elements 13 to create several projects and then published them as video files for watching in computer. Now I would like to burn these projects on the same DVD. I have seen the video about doing this for one video with markers, but I would rather mark my separate videos. Is it somehow possible to combine the projects and so get all the videos on the same DVD?

• 1. Re: How do I create a DVD containing many videos?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ferro1945

Premiere Elements 13 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 13 to 13.1 with an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

For your immediate question....

If you have several movie files on want to present them on DVD disc as DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc, then

a. you put them side by side on the project's Timeline and Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with presets = NTSC Dolby DVD or NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

b. if you want your viewer to be able to navigate the content on the DVD during its playback with the DVD player, then you work with Timeline markers, such as stop markers at the end of each Timeline movie content - you do not put a stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline.

From what you wrote, I think you have been through all of that. Consequently, I am not sure of your intent

I would like to burn these projects on the same DVD. I have seen the video about doing this for one video with markers, but I would rather mark my separate videos

Is the following related to what you have in mind?

If you have several projects, each with the content of one movie to go into the whole end project, then you export the content from each of the projects and then import those exports into one new project for the actual burn to DVD disc. If that is the case, then we can talk about project and export settings for each of the projects.

Please consider and give more information. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I create a DVD containing many videos?
            Ferro1945 Level 1

Hi ATR, and thanks for your fast answer!

My operating system is Windows 10, and yes, I have updated to 13.1.

The method of exporting the files and then again importing them to a new project surely works. My consern is the quality of the resulting output. I live in Finland and so have exported some videos that have been scanned from 8 mm films, to format HDTV 720p 25 High Quality, and some originating from 8 mm DV camera to format PAL DVD Standard. I do not know very much about different codecs, and so my fear is that if the files are first coded to some format in the first export, then imported, and coded once again to a perhaps different format for DVD, will the quality of the final export be lower than the original exports. To avoid that it would be nice if one could somehow concatenate several projects to a new project and so get the final result from the original files with just one export.

BR

Ferro 1945

• 3. Re: How do I create a DVD containing many videos?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ferro 1945

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 10 64 bit...PAL set up.

Thank you for the reply with important details for deciding Premiere Elements project settings strategy for the mixed Timeline content.

Premiere Elements project offers one project preset (project settings), and those are set by the program automatically or you manually to match the properties of the source media. When more than one source media format is involved, then priorities need to be decided on. And, it must be remembered that the extent of having to scale up could lead to pixelation. Scaling down will take the frame size down but without distortion.

1. Project Preset

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p25

and import your 1280 x 720p25 video with Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline Video 1/Audio 1.

2. Then import the 720 x 576 4:3 @ 25 frames per second into the project (Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline Video 1/Audio 1).

3. Then for each of the 720 x 576 4:3 @ 25 frames per second, click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box. Then, using one of the handles of the image's bounding boxes, scale the image to just fit the 1280 x 720 space in the Edit area monitor....just to the point where you do not see black borders. If black borders in the presentation are acceptable then you do not have to consider scaling to get rid of black borders which will present as 4:3 in the 16:9 frame.

You now have a 1280 x 720 @ 25 progressive frames per second project, ready for a 16:9 export to file or burn to disc.

If Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, then preset PAL_Widescreen_Dolby Digital.

What do you have more of....4:3 or 16:9?

Please consider. Then we can work through the details in your reply. Any questions or need clarification at any point in the suggested workflow please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...there are all sorts of supplemental details about manually setting the project preset if necessary, finding out what project preset has been set (Edit Menu/Project Settings/General), etc. Please let me know if you need supplemental information in those areas.

• 4. Re: How do I create a DVD containing many videos?
                Ferro1945 Level 1

Hi again, ATR,

Thanks again for your valuable advice. Now I know how to do it. However, I have come to other problems, see question "Very short dropouts in audio". In addition, the exported files are not shown in Windows Media Player, only audio works. And additionally, when I watch an exported video in VLC, it starts with a distorted part, either with a short completely green dislay, or some pixelation in the beginning. This takes place when I export in DVD PAL Standard format. However, if I export in HDTV 720p 25 High Quality format no distorted part exists. The exported file is, however, larger.

BR, Ferro1945

• 5. Re: How do I create a DVD containing many videos?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ferro1945

Thanks for the reply.

With regard to

And additionally, when I watch an exported video in VLC, it starts with a distorted part, either with a short completely green dislay, or some pixelation in the beginning. This takes place when I export in DVD PAL Standard format. However, if I export in HDTV 720p 25 High Quality format no distorted part exists.

Instead of DVD PAL Standard, please look at DVD PAL Widescreen to determine is that also has problems whereas the HDTV 720p25 High Quality does not.

The Windows Media Player of Windows 10 may has a problem with MPEG2.mpg video which will force you to use the VLC player for playback of that format. If the VLC player is giving you the problems described, going with PAL DVD Widescreen 16:9 instead of Standard 4:3 may be the key to making the match between project settings and export settings.

Please consider. We will be watching for your progress when your time permits.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR