8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2015 5:38 PM by mikes88472535

lightroom catalog on portable hard drive

mikes88472535

lightroom catalog on portable hard drive

• 1. Re: lightroom catalog on portable hard drive
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi mikes88472535,

Could you please let me know what help do you need with Lightroom Catalog.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: lightroom catalog on portable hard drive
            mikes88472535 Level 1

I want to use LR on multiple computers but I have been advised against this because of slow network connections especially with video.  I am a dentist and we want to input photos into LR from different treatment rooms but this is not possible unless we have a portable hard drive which is impractical( we may as well just go to the one computer that has the catalog on it).  A network drive makes sense but the performance concerns me.  What do you think?

• 3. Re: lightroom catalog on portable hard drive
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Putting the catalog on a portable drive is a great way to share it between multiple computers since LR does not allow the catalog on a network drive.

You can  put the images on the portable drive, too, or put the images on the network drives.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: lightroom catalog on portable hard drive
                Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

You may keep the Catalog on an External Drive, however keeping the Catalog on a Network Drive is not recommended by Adobe.

• 5. Re: lightroom catalog on portable hard drive
                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

For Lightroom to function it has to read and write to the Catalog File constantly. This cannot be performed over a wireless network, the drive which has the Catalog file has to be physically connected to the computer that is running the Lightroom application. Performance will be affected by the weakest link, i.e. the connection e.g. USB 2, USB 3, Firewire.

Video?? I have no experience with this but while LR can import video files captured by digital cameras this is not one of its primary functions.

Lightroom is not Photoshop, it is primarily an alternative to the functions performed by Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop CS/CC, Lightroom is an application for the Management / Rendering of Raw files from Digital Cameras, and the sharing of the output via Web publishing, slide shows, printing and book publishing. Lightroom also has the ability to "tether capture for a limited number of Canon, Nikon and a couple of Lica Cameras" I am not aware if this also applies to video from the supported cameras.

There can only be a single user use of the application.

Lightroom license is single owner/user and can be installed on two computers for the use of the owner/user, with one in use at any point in time..

• 6. Re: lightroom catalog on portable hard drive
                    mikes88472535 Level 1

Thanks  for the responses.  I don't want to belabor the point but is possible to dedicate a computer with LR installed and then Remote Desktop into that computer and avoid the problem os sending files back and forth to the catalog.

I get that this interface might be slowed but it should not interfere with the actual functionality of LR.  Am I off base here?

• 7. Re: lightroom catalog on portable hard drive
                      tmcguire17 Level 1

I do this very thing and I personally would not recommend it ESPECIALLY for business. Lightroom (and it has to be lightroom because no other folders or files are affected) keep adding an access permission or I should say changes the permissions for the pictures folder so the lightroom running on the other PC cant find them. Its BS. It makes it a time consuming hassle EVERYTIME you switch from one to the other.

• 8. Re: lightroom catalog on portable hard drive
                        mikes88472535 Level 1

Thank you gentlemen.  I concede.