18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 6:07 AM by donf25822457

text.rpln crash

joewrock Level 1

Hello,

I have an important file i need to open, for a very important trade show we are right in the middle of.  Indesign crashes as soon as the file is opened.  I can open other files, just not the one I need for the show.  any immediate help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

CRASH REPORT:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: InDesign.exe

Application Version: 11.1.0.122

Application Timestamp: 55bf8487

Fault Module Name: TEXT.RPLN

Fault Module Version: 11.1.0.122

Fault Module Timestamp: 55bf8a01

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000008a5fe

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: a934

Additional Information 2: a93484a9e200c04d8f460dea0072bdbd

Additional Information 3: 6e4f

Additional Information 4: 6e4f0d8f81f7a9d7826c248a651a7163

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• 2. Re: text.rpln crash
          jasonc98422988 Level 1

Same problem.  when placing images in a text box.  indesign CC 2015 crashing on multiple systems.   users are panicking.

• 3. Re: text.rpln crash
            joewrock Level 1

Thank you peter, however this did not solve my problem.  It did the blind export fine, but the file it exported also crashes upon opening, no chance to do any save as or exporting either as file crashes right away.

I just trashed the some 10 hours of work i had into it and started over, no choice, had to get it done.

• 4. Re: text.rpln crash
              joewrock Level 1

The above did not solve my problem,  i had to start the project over in a new file.

• 5. Re: text.rpln crash
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sorry to hear it wasn't successful...

• 6. Re: text.rpln crash
                  joewrock Level 1

I appreciate your post regardless, it taught me something new! 

Tanks!

• 7. Re: text.rpln crash
                    donf25822457 Level 1

This is a VERY close description of the problem I am having, though how I arrived at it may be different.

Windows 7 (64-bit). Originally I had ID CS6 installed and was happily learning the program and building documents with never a hint of a stability problem.

I then had CC 2015 installed via a remote installation tool (we do not have local admin rights).

I opened my book and tried to open some of its documents. That went through a conversion process to an internal 9.x file structure.

At that point my CC 2015 would APPCRASH with the same TEXT.RPLN condition described in this original post.

This crash occurs when trying to open the files, not just at program launch.

Since the files had been converted I could not open them in CS6.

So, one version crashes and the other can't open them. Not good.

Fortunately, I had the originals backed up. So, I reopened them in CS6 and exported all the documents to .IDML format.

Then tried to open the IDML in CC 2015. This ALSO yielded the same crash.

Add to this, my coworker has CC 2015 ONLY installed (never had CS6) and he can open my same book and documents (after conversion) with no problems.

The documents do not appear to be corrupted.

Also, I have some CS5 files which I got as part of a training course  and they open fine in CC 2015.

I am greatly puzzled by the odd "what works" and "what doesn't work" and "under what conditions" dimensions to this problem.

• 8. Re: text.rpln crash

Does CC 2015 open at all? Can you create new files?

• 9. Re: text.rpln crash
                        donf25822457 Level 1

hello Peter,

yes, I am able to open CC 2015--it does not crash immediately as I have seen others report.  As I said, I can even open some CS5 files that I downloaded as part of a tutorial, though they are just individual files for specific lesson. They perhaps do not push as hard as a multi-document book.

I am suspecting something in the realm of fonts in my CS6 documents that is causing trouble, but would expect ID to just offer a substitution rather than an APPCRASH. The fonts that I am using are not that unusual, most Century Gothic and the occasional Wingding or Webding for some special list styles. I thought perhaps trying to define bold or italic with a Webding (which does not truly have that font style) could be at fault but I have modified the styles to remove that notion.

Why CC 2015 crashes with the IDML files is even more puzzling, as I thought that would eliminate any ambiguous style/format definitions.

Thanks for considering this problem.

• 10. Re: text.rpln crash

A corrupt or poorly made font can easily crash ID...

• 11. Re: text.rpln crash
                            donf25822457 Level 1

I wanted to add troubleshooting steps/results to my portion of this discussion.

For one thing, I have to work with corporate IT to adminster my system (no admin rights) so that protracts the problem significantly. I had them remove BOTH ID CS6 and ID CC 2015, and then reinstall ONLY ID CC 2015. My problems with crashes persist when I use these particular files and other docs derived from them.

Original premise was that my template/style source documents worked fine on another user's ID CC 2015 instance, and only failed on mine. This is not true. He gets the same APPCRASH TXT.RPLN c00000005 error. So something is amiss with the files themselves, not my installation of ID.

I have exported all my files from CC 2015 to IDML. Then tried to reopen them and save back to INDD. Most of them crash on open, so this step does not work.

I often get crashes when trying to sync documents, or recalculate pages, etc. I have found that if I turn OFF the Sync Options for "Paragraphs" "TOC" "Cell" and "Table" then the sync or page update operation completes normally.

We both have occasions where some text is there with a paragraph style applied. As soon as you try to select it to edit the content, or even delete the paragraph ID will crash. I haven't yet tried UNLINKING the style. Next time I encounter one of these I will.

I also tried a technique offered on the web to create a new blank document with pages the same size as my troubled file. Then MOVE the pages from the bad file to the new file. For docs that crash ID, this step also crashes ID.

Not having admin rights there is little I can do with Fonts, but I really doubt BOTH of us would have the same corruption on one of just these few fonts we use: Century Gothic, Symbol, Webdings, Wingdings, Wingdings 3. Minion Pro is also mentioned in Adobe Bridge inspection, but we don't actually use it.

Since these files have "grown" as I was learning InDesign and developing styles as I went, my next track may be to start from scratch in InDesign CC 2015 (tabla rasa) and just recreate all my styles. That is somewhere around 50 style definitions, just for Paragraphs, and a handful for Characters, tables, cells, conditions, etc.

• 12. Re: text.rpln crash
                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Before starting totally from scratch you could try to import all your styles and conditions from the CS6 document with the styles panels.
                              Don't know if that will work, because the CS6 document will be opened temporarily by CC 2015 in the background for this purpose.

Make sure, that you open a copy of the CS6 document when you try to import styles so that a crash would not affect the original document.
                              Or best, duplicate the CS6 document before trying anything.

Uwe

• 13. Re: text.rpln crash
                                donf25822457 Level 1

To anyone following this thread, just an update.

My IT person re-installed InDesign CS6 on my system. I now have BOTH CS6 and CC 2015.

I opened my book and files in CC 2015 (very carefully) and exported them all to IDML format.

I then opened them all in InDesign CS6 and renamed (why doesn't it remember the filename?) and then added them all to a new CS6 book object.

I was able to work ALL DAY LONG, updating content, tweaking styles, synchronizing, publishing, etc. Not even a hint of a crash.

Is it possible that I defined some styles originally in CS6, that when "converted" to CC 2015 produced some unstable element? Porting it BACK to CS6 has resolved my problems.

• 14. Re: text.rpln crash
                                  donf25822457 Level 1

Thanks Uwe,

I did try importing styles as you suggested but it made no improvement. And in fact crashes in the operation.

Don

• 15. Re: text.rpln crash
                                    donf25822457 Level 1

I believe my situation is fixed!

Someone with more knowledge of the inner workings of InDesign can confirm my hypothesis and resolution, but I have been able to manage, update, and sync a long book using CC 2015 without any crashes since applying my fix.

In a nutshell, I modified the "Heading 1" paragraph style in all of my documents to make sure the /Span Columns/ property had the Paragraph Layout set to Single Column.

Our document page setup does not use multiple columns, just one text frame per page full size.

Also, Heading 2 was "based on" Heading 1 (with a few tweaks) and Heading 3 was based on Heading 2...etc. So correcting Heading 1 cascaded the problem and the solution to the other Heading definitions.

This one change "cured" the situation where syncing styles or even opening the IDML version of the file caused a TXT.RPLN crash. Sometimes all it took was trying to type text near where one of these malformed Heading styles was sitting.

Oddly, this style definition also existed (inadvertently) in CS6 books but that version tolerated it better.

A frustrating side effect of this condition is that I could not correct one document and sync to the others to propagate the change. I had to manually open and correct the style definition in each one. that is tedious with almost individual documents in my book.

However, once that was done, I could do all kinds of syncs and updates without any crashes.

I am also willing to bet this same crash condition can be achieved a number of other ways as well. I guess it is just the module frequently left holding the bag when things go south.

• 16. Re: text.rpln crash
                                      sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

• 17. Re: text.rpln crash
                                        sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

• 18. Re: text.rpln crash
                                          donf25822457 Level 1

I appreciate the willingness to look at my "corrupt" file. However, it is NOT corrupt and I have already fixed it. Our InDesign CC 2015 instance of our template and derived files have been stable since I made the revision to the Span Columns setting in my Heading 1 style. I would only cite the "bug," if you will, that ID CS6 was tolerant of this setting and CC 2015 was not.

• "In a nutshell, I modified the "Heading 1" paragraph style in all of my documents to make sure the /Span Columns/ property had the Paragraph Layout set to Single Column.
                                          • Our document page setup does not use multiple columns, just one text frame per page full size.
                                          • Also, Heading 2 was "based on" Heading 1 (with a few tweaks) and Heading 3 was based on Heading 2...etc. So correcting Heading 1 cascaded the solution (and the original problem) to the other Heading definitions."

Thanks!