10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 7:06 PM by nuRadical

Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing

nuRadical

This is my first time looking for help on the forums so I'm sorry if I'm leaving out information.

I've been working on a video game let's play and Premiere Elements keeps freezing on me. I'm currently using the Mac versions on the latest OS. This afternoon it started freezing after trying to add footage from the game to the timeline. Now adding any footage to the timeline causes it to freeze. When it finally becomes responsive again the preview window won't play but the audio will. This has been happening on both Premiere Elements 13 and 14. I've been using Elements since February and this is the first time it's done this. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is there something wrong with my computer?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

nuRadical

You say that you have been using Premiere Elements 13/13.1 since February 2015 and Premiere Elements 14 since at least after September 24, 2015.

What Mac OS were you using in February when you only had 13/13.1? And, what Mac OS are you using now in October for both Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14? Are both 13/13.1 and 14 on the same Mac computer?

How long did Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 work on your latest OS before the onset of your issues (started with game footage)?

Please describe the game recording device and the properties of the video audio that you are getting from it. Interested in all, but particularly whether the device recorded with a variable or constant frame rate.

Several possibilities. But, let us start with the above and then decide what next based on the details in the reply.

Any questions or need clarification as we exchange troubleshooting information, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
            nuRadical Level 1

Hi, thanks for responding. I'm using 10.11 El Capitan right now but when I first started using Elements 13 I think I was using Yosemite. I've been doing all my editing on the same computer since then. Elements 13 and 14 were working fine last night, the issues started occurring this afternoon. And yes, it only occurred this time because of the game footage

I am using the Elgato Game Capture HD 60. I'm not entirely sure the exact properties of the video and audio it records, but I record at 1080p 60fps. So I think it's a constant frame rate.

For what it's worth, I just tried importing a different game clip to Elements and added it to the timeline without it freezing at all. It appears to be just this one game clip and searching through Elements Organizer that's causing trouble.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

nuRadical

Thanks for the reply.

Many of these game devices record with a variable instead of a constant frame rate. Premiere Elements (many versions) does not do well with this type of situation. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. The way to know for sure - variable vs constant frame rate - is to run the video through the MediaInfo Mac video audio properties readout program (Tree View) and look for 3 frame rates - minimum frame rate, frame rate, maximum frame rate. I am not sure if MediaInfo Mac supports 10.11 El Capitan.

Sometimes your export settings in the recording device will give you a choice between variable frame rate vs constant frame rate. In this case, you look to the device's setting to find out about the frame rate(s).

The typical fix for the variable frame rate matter is to take the video through the free HandBrake program (Mac and Windows versions) to get the H.264.mp4 version with constant instead of variable frame rate. Then you take that H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate into the Premiere Elements project.

What does not make this clear cut is that just one game clip is involved. Since it is only this one clip, you might explore the HandBrake conversion outright in order to overcome the issue with this one clip.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
                nuRadical Level 1

Thanks so much. I had no idea that that could be a problem. I'll give HandBrake a try. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nuRadical

Thanks for the follow up.

Please let us know if you need any help with HandBrake. I have used only the Windows version, not Mac. But the key area of the workspace for me is under the Video Tab where I set the frame rate to the mid frame rate of the three (if variable frame rate)....do not use Same As Source and be sure to put a dot in front of Constant for the frame rate. Other important considerations --Video Codec H.264 (x264) and container MP4.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
                    nuRadical Level 1

I just converted the clip and it works perfectly, no freezing. I am a little upset that I had to convert it all, but thank you so much for the assistance.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

nuRadical

Great news of your success with the HandBrake conversion. Great job.

Is there any possibility of alternative recording settings that would enable you to bypass the HandBrake conversion?

If not, I believe that HandBrake can do batch as well as individual file conversion.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
                        nuRadical Level 1

As far as I can tell, the only recording settings I can change are the resolution and frame rate from 30 to 60. Nothing on variable or constant frame rates. Here's a screenshot in case I missed anything.

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 12.07.34 PM.png

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

nuRadical

I just found this "gem" of an online article about Elgato Game Capture HD60. In it, one of the persons replying in the article even suggests HandBrake conversion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElgatoGaming/comments/3gzdo7/can_we_get_an_update_to_record_in_co nstant/

Although one in the article calls the Elgato constant frame rate, another explains a variable nature to it and suggests the HandBrake conversion to a version with constant framer rate.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 13 & 14 keeps freezing
                            nuRadical Level 1

Thanks for the find. It's unfortunate because Elgato is one of the few options to capture game footage for Mac users. But I will hold onto HandBrake as my ace in the hole in case something like this happens again.