6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 8:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 14 won't let me timestretch to the vaules I set.

aimforsilence

I'm trying to timestretch a video i'm working on. I wan't the majority of the video to be 3000% faster than what it was recorded at. But after I type my 300% vaule in and hit enter it just timestretches to a random value instead. I've tried doing all my clips at once and also doing them individually. Nothing seems to work. And each clip is being given it's own random speed percentage, thus makiong my project inconsistent. Somebody please help, as i'd really like to finish my project.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 14 won't let me timestretch to the vaules I set.
          Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

Hi,

Could you please share the project settings, clip durations which you are using on timeline and values that you are seeing after applying 3000% timestretch. Usually, when a clip is small and speed as integer and number of frames do not correspond each other then some adjustment is done to percent value. And, this value should be close to what you apply and not a random value. Please let me know your observations and investigate if you are doing something and expecting a different result or is there really a bug here.

Thanks,

Tahseen

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 14 won't let me timestretch to the vaules I set.
            aimforsilence Level 1

The Project Setting is the default 1080p60fps setting. The clips vary in length. Is it at all possible to merge all my clips I want to timestretch into 1 clip.. or would I just export the clips I want and then import that back into Premiere?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 14 won't let me timestretch to the vaules I set.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

aimforsilence

What computer operating system? Assuming Windows for now...

I have looked at Time Stretch in Premiere Elements 14 Windows 7 64 bit and have not found any flaws in the Time Stretch use that you describe.

1. The project preset (1080p60 vs 1080i30) does not create any problem with the Time Stretch Feature.

2. When you set 3000% as the Speed% in the Time Stretch dialog, you are instructing the feature to have every 30 frames to become 1 to decrease the duration of the clip and create the fast motion effect. For my test with 1080i30 project preset and Time Stretch Speed % = 3000

a. If the clip has 17032 frames and apply this setting, I get 568 frames for the fast motion clip.

b. If the clip has 3000 frames and apply this setting, I get 100 frames for the fast motion clip.

c. If the clip has 1500 frames and apply this setting, I get 50 frames for the fast motion clip.

d. If the clip has 30 frames and apply this setting, I get 1 frames for the fast motion clip.

e. If the clip has less than 30 frames and apply this setting, Time Stretch will not work.

If you want to apply this Time Stretch setting to more than one clip at a time,

a. all the clips need to have the same duration to start with

and

b. apply Time Stretch to first clip, Copy the first clip, and then Paste Effects and Adjustments for the other selected other clips.

If you are not getting the above results, you might consider deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 14.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the path given.

Please consider. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 14 won't let me timestretch to the vaules I set.
                Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

You can select desired clips and then right-click>Group. This actually treats the group as single clip and you can move/adjust this group on timeline and the entire group moves together. Or, you can simply select the clips and apply Time Stretch. It should just apply the speed to all the selected clips.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 14 won't let me timestretch to the vaules I set.
                  aimforsilence Level 1

This was exactly what I needed! Thanks. Didn't know you could group clips. Again thanks!

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 14 won't let me timestretch to the vaules I set.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

aimforsilence

Good news of your success. Are you saying that you can control the Time Stretch dialog Speed % of the Group whereas you cannot for the individual clips?

I have found that, when the clips are Grouped, Time Stretch dialog (Speed and Duration linked) allows you to set the Speed % through the duration, the Speed % is not settable directly. If Time Stretch dialog (Speed and Duration unlinked) allows you to set the duration only...Speed % remains grayed out at 100. And, the requirement is still = all the clips need to be of the same original duration.

Are you still having the erratic results in 14 setting the Time Stretch dialog Speed % as you originally described?

ATR