8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 3:49 AM by williebegoode

how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?

mattylangdon Level 1

I have a bunch of .webm files that I would like to edit using Adobe Premiere Elements, but cannot open them.

Is this possible? and if not can we please have a patch to allow this ubiquitous format to be used?

(I do realise the work around of converting the .webm files but would rather like to avoid that)

• 1. Re: how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

webm is a new open media format for displaying video on the internet. Premiere Elements will probably not be able to edit it as not only the format but the codecs it uses are not standard editable codecs and formats.

Their web site offers no information on converting it.

The WebM Project | Frequently Asked Questions

This page of their site offers tools for transcoding the video -- but I still make no guarantees that any of these will produce an editable video.

The WebM Project | VPx and WebM Tools

Maybe someone else has a solution.

• 2. Re: how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mattylangdon

This is not Adobe. Rather essentially user to user.

WebM is not on the Premiere Elements Import or Export Supported Formats list. It looks like it has been that way going back to at least Premiere Elements 4 and continuing to Premiere Elements 14 (current version). I find that the WebM file will not open in the Elements Organizer either.

Including Premiere Elements 14, the only way that I have found to use the WebM file in Premiere Elements is by converting the WebM to another format with which Premiere Elements is compatible...my preference is WebM to H.264.mp4 using the free and quick and effective HandBrake program. https://handbrake.fr/

There are numerous free and for purchase WebM converters to be found online.

I realize that you seek to bypass the need for a conversion in this case and obtain a "patch" as a last resort. I do not see that happening. You could file an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form. Feature Request/Bug Report Form

I have not yet found a WebM plug-in for Premiere Elements that will enable the WebM file as is to be imported into a Premiere Elements project.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?
              fnordware Level 3

I'm not sure if Premiere Elements supports Premiere/MediaCore plug-ins, but there's one of those if it does:

http://www.fnordware.com/WebM/

• 4. Re: how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

fnordware

Is this your company behind the free WebM plug-in whose link you have posted? If so, do you have Premiere Elements with which to test support or no support for the WebM plug-in?

When you install this plug-in in Premiere Pro, where does install in the program files and where does it appear in the Premiere Pro workspace?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?
                  fnordware Level 3

A.T. Romano wrote:

When you install this plug-in in Premiere Pro, where does install in the program files and where does it appear in the Premiere Pro workspace?

OK, I downloaded the Premiere Elements trial and the plug-in does work. You can import WebM movies and render them out as well.

To Export from the Export & Share window, go to Devices > Custom > Advanced Settings and pick WebM as the format.

The installer should put the plug-in in the shared MediaCore directory, which Premiere Elements uses. On Windows that's C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\.

• 6. Re: how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

fnordware

Thank you for the follow up, going beyond the questions asked and actually downloading and installing the fnord software for use with Premiere Elements.

Bottom line: this needs more work.....but almost there?

I have just done this with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit and was able to import successfully a sample WebM video (640 x 360 @ 25 progressive frames per second). Before the install of that software, I could not import the WebM file into the Premiere Elements 14 project.

I set the fnord software installation files to the software's default which is C\Program Files\fnord software\WebM for Premiere\. With that kind of setting, I expected the software to enable all Premiere Elements installs on that Windows 10 64 bit computer.

Regarding export of the WebM, after import, the WebM choice did appear under Export & Share/Devices/Custom/ and its Advanced Settings format choices. And, I was able to export the WebM Timeline successfully to a .WebM file.

Problems:

1. Using Windows 10 64 bit and with the present default location for the fnord software files, I was able to import the WebM file into a Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 14 project, not a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project.

2. I do not know how typical the 640 x 360 sizing is for WebM, but for Premiere Elements 14, but not 12/12.1, manually setting of the project preset is necessary. The project is reading the properties of the WebM correctly, there are problems with the automatic setting of the project preset by the project. This appears to be a 640 x 360 problem and not a WebM problem.

Needs more work.

Thank you for this contribution. Much appreciated.

ATR

Add On...at this time, I am not seeing a way to get a WebM export from Premiere Elements 13/13.1, 12/12.1, or 11 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 14 64 bit (would not have expected it of 13/13.1 since I cannot import the WebM file into that version).

• 7. Re: how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?
                      markr69127851 Level 1

Almost two year on since this thread started and still no WEBM  solutions for HTML 5 development from Adobe.

I use webm and opus audio formats for working within the howler (web audio api) framework.

Still no attention to web development from Adobe. I wonder why ? hmmm ... it's not that flash is in the last throws of life could it ?

• 8. Re: how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?
                        williebegoode Adobe Community Professional

When WebM first arrived on the scene several years ago, it was seen as the cross-platform solution to video streaming, but since then, it appears as though that enthusiasm has waned. One of the best converters, Miro, Miro Video Converter FREE - Convert any video to MP4, WebM (vp8), iPhone, Android, iPod, iPad, and more.  seems to have abandoned ship. I used MVC for years, but no more. Here's what I'd suggest. Join the others who have abandoned the WebM movement, convert to a format recognized by Adobe (by the way, Adobe never did support WebM) and forget WebM. It's like trying to support Flash on a mobile platform.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic about WebM since I was a big fan of the open source WebM solution and video format, but when something isn't working out for whatever reason, quit wasting time with it and move on.