3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 4:31 PM by Derek Cross

TTS stop reading page numbers in eBook

saraelizpor

How to you get Text to Speech (TTS) to stop reading the page numbers in ePub? Can that be done in InDesign or HTML?

• 1. Re: TTS stop reading page numbers in eBook
          Tom Semple Level 1

Can you be more specific? Which app are you looking at? Which version of iOS? What do you mean by Text to Speech?

iOS doesn't have system level support for Text to Speech. They do have system level support for Accessibility. In terms of reading out text, there are two features: VoiceOver (a full-featured facility for describing what is on the screen) and Speak Screen (a more focused feature which can read out all text on the screen, and may be extended to 'read continuously' for multi-page content. Support for these features varies considerably from app to apps. And none of this behavior ('what' is read out) is controlled by ePub formatting, so I would not concern yourself with it overmuch.

Speak Screen is probably the most similar to TTS, and at least in iBooks, it does not announce page numbers. It can highlight words as they are read out, so it is intended to assist people with normal vision, but perhaps with a form of dyslexia that prevents 'normal' visual processing of text. VoiceOver is more intended for people with more direct visual issues. So for example in iBooks, Speak Screen does not announce page numbers but Voice Over does. If you turn on scroll mode, then even VO will not announce page numbers. But again, other apps may not support either of these things very well.

That said, ePub 3 includes Text-to-speech guidelines: Text-to-Speech Overview | Text-to-Speech | EPUB 3 Accessibility Guidelines but I don't know what level of support for these features there is (if any) in various reading apps. I'm guessing 'not much'. It seems it would be a lot of additional work for example to format CSS and then test it. And it is more work for developers of reading systems as well. Publishers are probably not giving this much 'push.' Maybe when there is more general support for Accessibility we'll start to see more development.

• 2. Re: TTS stop reading page numbers in eBook
            saraelizpor Level 1

Thank you! Yes. I was referring to the text to speech tool that you use in iBooks. When you open an ebook then go to Edit<Start Speaking. It reads the page number, then reads the body text, but there are many errors in what is being read. Like there is no pause after headings. So it reads as 1 sentence. Not a heading then a sentence after that. It reads some numbers as 1-3 (one three) instead of 13 (thirteen). I just didn't know if there was a way to edit this? I didn't know if it had to do with the way it was designed in InDesign? Someone suggested CircularFLO. I have not used this before so not sure this will fix the issues or not. Thanks for your response. It seems as though no one has really been able to help me with anything dealing with text to speech issues.

• 3. Re: TTS stop reading page numbers in eBook
              Derek Cross Level 6

You seem to have two posts going on this subject on this forum.