8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 5:55 AM by A.T. Romano

Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14

RNZadmin

Hi Adobe Community,

Premiere Elements 14 doesn't seem to be coping very well with being located behind a firewall and having to access the internet (for online content) through a proxy (configured via proxy.pac... can't change that). Would anyone be able to provide URLs/DNS names/IP addresses with IP ports and protocol (TCP/UDP) that I need to allow through the firewall for Premiere Elements to be able to access the online content?

Thanks and cheers in advance,

Peter

• 1. Re: Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14
          A.T. Romano Level 7

RNZadmin

Premiere Elements 14 on what computer operating system?

Please try to contact online Adobe Chat Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up to determine if it would share its expertise with you on the matter of

Internet connection for your Premiere Elements 14 Online Services.

Contact Customer Care

Alternately your Internet Provider or Customer Service for computer security might supply the information that you seek.

ATR

• 2. Re: Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14
            RNZadmin Level 1

Hi Romano,

Thanks for your feedback. It's on Windows, but for this scenario, that's probably not relevant. I'd assume the Mac and Windows version will contact the same source at Adobe to download the online content.

We're in a corporate environment and I'm the IT guy... means I'm customer service for this computer Hence my question technical question of what I need to allow through the corporate firewall to make it work.

I've already been in touch with Adobe support. Their suggestion is to download all the content on another PC that has unrestricted access to the internet and then copy the files. I'll be provided with some instructions to do so... anyway, that's not very practical.

If someone from Adobe reads this:

May I suggest fixing the routines that download the online content. Premiere Elements 14 seems to be coping fine with going through a proxy (which is configured via a proxy.pac auto config script) when e.g. signing in with the Adobe ID or activating the product with the serial number. A trace on the firewall shows, that despite the proxy being configured and Premiere Elements successfully using it for the before mentioned other functionality, the "pull online content" function ignores these settings and is trying to go out directly (bypassing the proxy server).

Cheers,

Peter

• 3. Re: Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

What specific Windows operating system are you working from?

And, what type of Internet speeds are you dealing with - 25 Mbps, higher, lower?

How do your company computers fare with files coming from another computer to your company computers via USB? Does your company security block them outright or leave them alone if they just are not being downloaded from the Internet to the computer?

The Adobe Chat plan is not all that impractical if the ifs and buts and maybes can be ironed out.

The content for Premiere Elements can be thought of as two types - Content Download and Content Complete. With Content Complete, all that content installs with the program (all the folder and files for a theme complete, ready to work). Content Download is characterized by partial content that comes with the program install, and this partial content can be completed only by download from within the project - Movie Menus, Movie Themes, etc. What I would like you to do before I detail a possible solution to find out if you are getting all the Content Complete type.

1. Go to PART 3 CONTENT in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 14 First Look Details

and try to locate all the Content Complete type for each of the types of content. If you can account for all of the Content Complete type, then our goal is to get the Online Folder copied and transferred to your company computer. When we get to that step, my concern is whether or not your company computer will accept the Online Folder and/or you can overwrite the company computer to allow?

This is not Adobe. Rather user to use forum. And, the frequency of the appearance of Adobe Staff and Premiere Elements Help Team in this forum is undefined.

Right now I am seeing the realistic plan revolving around obtaining the completed Online Folder, copying it, and placing the copy in the company computer if it will accept it.

Any chances of working some more with the existing company settings?

ATR

• 4. Re: Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14
                RNZadmin Level 1

Hi ATR & whoever reads this,

Just got to the solution by using Wireshark to analyse what happens when Premiere Elements wants to download content like e.g. "Titles and Text". As mentioned before, seems a lot of Premieres internet traffic is successfully picking up the correct proxy settings and therefore is going through the proxy server.

Have managed to get Premiere Elements to download online content by allowing the following FQDN on the corporate Cisco firewall (no for Premiere relevant destinations are blocked on our proxy):

HTTP to static.photoshop.com

Hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers,

Peter

• 5. Re: Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

Thanks for sharing what worked for you to obtain the Content Download for Premiere Elements 14 in the situation that you described.

Never been there and done the firewall work that you described.

Is the FQDN (fully qualified domain name - host + domain) that you used specific to the Cisco firewall?

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14
                    RNZadmin Level 1

Hi ATR,

No, not specific...

Cheers,

Peter

• 7. Re: Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14
                      nuffbatch

I am having similar problems with Elements 14 on Windows 7.  Uploading to Facebook says the firewall is blocking but Norton setting are set to allow all traffic for Elements 14 . Rebooting machine solves for a while but then the problem re-emerges?

• 8. Re: Firewall exceptions for access to online content for Premiere Elements 14
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

nuffbatch

Is Norton controlling the firewall? What about Windows Firewall? Have you checked that.

Windows Firewall

Control Panel/System and Security/Windows Firewall and "allow a program through Windows Firewall"

ATR