3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 4:37 PM by toac60227793

does a canon ef 50mm f3.5 kit lens enough for magazine photos and after effects slideshow?

toac60227793 Level 1

I'm not sure if this is related to after effects

I am working with professional camcorders before (sony hdr fx7 and hitachi sk,) in my previous company (video production company)

but for some reason my current employer (accounting firm company) today doesn't give me a project related to footage. I am just doing motion graphics all the time.

our company owns a sony slt a57 with 50mm f5.6 lens.

I personally have  canon rebel t1i with 50mm f3.5 maximum lens I usually use it for weddings and birthdays.

these are basic lens together with the box.

do I need a really need a bokeh images in my slideshows? does my 50mm f3.5 more than enough?

or should I buy a 50mm f1.8, 200mm f2.8 or what will be the best?

I am shooting  in a studio for a wedding presentation and one guy said that a 50mm f3.5 won't make a good images for slideshow and it won't make me a good photographer?

• 1. Re: does a canon ef 50mm f3.5 kit lens enough for magazine photos and after effects slideshow?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Read Mr. Maschwitz blog:

Prolost

Otherwise I'm sure you can find plenty of photography forums that can help you. The combinations are simply too numerous between aperture, exposure duration and the sensor's ISO.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: does a canon ef 50mm f3.5 kit lens enough for magazine photos and after effects slideshow?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The camera and the lens have very little to do with how good a photograph is. I've seen some amazing work from a smart phone. Most of my work is done with prime lenses. 90% of all my video is shot with prime lenses. I recently shot a pilot for a TV series and the camera had a zoom lens but I did not shoot a single shot with a zoom, I only used the zoom for framing. I hate zoom shots. I have a short zoom on my personal still camera but only for convince. When I shoot portraits I usually use a fixed lens and it's usually a 50mm or 85mm equivalent because I like to be up close and personal with my subject.

Perspective is controlled by camera position, depth of field by distance to your subject, focal length and aperture. The quality of the glass controls the bokeh (quality of the out of focus areas) and each lens has a different look. Booked has everything to do with how the lens is made and you cannot get the same look from a DSLR consumer lens that you can get with a Cooke Lenses, and a set of Zeiss Lenses will give you a different look. Do you need special lenses to shoot for a slide show and make it beautiful? Not at all. You need the ability to find the light, pose and compose. That's it. Do you need a Zoom lens? Not unless you cannot control the camera position and you need to change the framing (think sports or wedding photography where you can not run up to your subject and take a head shot). If you can make images that you like with the gear you have then you do not need to spend any more money on the gear. If you want to change the look of the images you shoot then you should start experimenting with different lenses and not just focal length.

• 3. Re: does a canon ef 50mm f3.5 kit lens enough for magazine photos and after effects slideshow?
              toac60227793 Level 1

I think I already like 50mm. I actually like my lens because I can still do an image better than iphone images even if it is just f3.5. maybe I'll just save money for the repair of my Sony FX1 instead of buying a zeiss lens it was broken when I had an accident while doing a high angle shot above the building. is there any cheaper brand for a manual lens like zeiss?

anyway thank you Rick Gerardfor always answering my questions