3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 6:08 AM by BobLevine

Video quality very bad on Windows...

Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

A user (who attended my course) has created a heavy duty ePub FXL (190 MB in total), but her client complains about a lot of things. The video quality seems to be the biggest problem. Although the videos are compressed correctly (in H264, saved as .mp4 files) and the results look great on the Mac and iPad, on the PC the video plays very course and looks bland. A course playback could be due to a sluggish performance of the PC (maybe the large file is just too much to handle). But turning it bland ? I'm trying to verify which ADE version and PC specs they're using, but in the meantime: any thoughts on what could be a cause and a possible solution ?

• 1. Re: Video quality very bad on Windows...
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not a huge fan of ADE on Windows. Ask them to try using Readium for Chrome.

That said, Windows hardware is all over the place in quality, so getting those specs, including the video card, is a good first step.

• 2. Re: Video quality very bad on Windows...
            Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

I know ADE is not you're favorite reader, but to most viewers it's the easiest way to get and install their required reader.

Readium poses even a secondary requirement (the Chrome browser) and is a bit awkward to use. No matter how good it is, it is two steps back in ease of use. The only fall-back I'd suggest is Adobe's online viewer (through any modern browser).

Now that we have the whole ADE line-up available (OSX, iOS, Windows and Android) plus the online viewer, I think the best direction is to promote ADE and hope Adobe will be churning out updates real soon (with update warnings within ADE) to get this ePub 3 FXL ball rolling !

• 3. Re: Video quality very bad on Windows...
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Regardless. Readium is a superior reader and until such time that all readers catch up to the FXL format, it’s necessary to check the EPUB there.