8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 11:10 PM by danielb4195942

How do I return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and get a refund?

danielb4195942

Hi!

I've been using Adobe Premiere Elements 13 to cut together footage a big trip to Australia I did in 2014.

I've been having a lot of problems lately, mainly saving my finished work to PC or DVD. The project saves, but whyen I shut down, the encoding process stays stuck @ 0%  and I get a pop-up message saying: "Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has not shut down correctly Click now to close program, Windows 7 is looking for a solution to the problem".

Mr. A.T. Romano was very helpful in suggesting I run paqrt of the cut footage through Windows Movie Maker Version 2012, and that was successful in saving/burning onto DVD with Premiere Elements 13 - but when I later came to add transitions to the project, that didn't work.

Lately, I've found I cannot even leave a message on the support page chat room. Basically, I now want to return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 software, and get a full refund. I bought it from the John Lewis shop website for £79.95 in the UK. I went to that shop today, and they told me to contact Adobe directly to see if they can help.

I want to go back to what I was using before: Roxio software.

I appreciate ant help.

Regards

Daniel Bowes

• 2. Re: How do I return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and get a refund?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel Bowes

The link posted for return, cancel, or exchange an Adobe order is not going to be of any help to you under the circumstances. But, you can still rule it in or out by trying. Based on history, the odds are against you, and Adobe is likely to refer you to refer you to Ask The Community which is us, user to user.

If you purchase from Adobe as an online download and are within 30 days of purchase, you can ask for a return/refund using that link.

However, from your description, that is not the case. You have purchased from an authorized reseller or reseller. Under those circumstances, you are governed by the return/refund/exchange policy of the seller.

If you want to pursue the

I run paqrt of the cut footage through Windows Movie Maker Version 2012, and that was successful in saving/burning onto DVD with Premiere Elements 13 - but when I later came to add transitions to the project, that didn't work.

I will go back to read your prior threads and suggest what can be done about video and/or audio transition problem that you are now facing.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and get a refund?
            danielb4195942 Level 1

Hello Mr Romano,

Thank you for all your incredible help so far. I have not been able to reply to you for about a week due to the fact that the chatroom message function crashes when I click "Comment". But here is where I am so far:

1. I successfully managed to recut the same file of my Australian trip that was partly damaged, using Windows Movie Maker 2012. It was saved as an MP4 file onto my computer. I then added it as a separate file in Premiere Elements 13. I then managed to burn it onto DVD. Hooray!

But my success is shortlived. The remainder of the file, from when I started cutting at the beginning, to where I got up to last time - about 41 mins in length - that still doesn't save to my PC or DVD or ACHD: encoding process still at 0% Also, although it is autosaved, I still have the problem of: Premiere Elements not shut down properly. Click Close Now, Windows 7 is looking for a solution message.

More alarming is: when I go back into the Movie Maker MP4 file, I cannot add any transitions - for example the slow dissolve, which should be coloured grey between the panels, is still coloured with it's A-logo colour, so the transitions are not registering.

This is throwing up one issue after another, and I have investigated the possibility of ditching Adobe, in favour of going back to Roxio software.

I have also gone back to the shop named John Lewis (a big UK-based department store chain), where I bought the sof5tware physically over their Internet page. They said: though, that because this is software, they do not have the licence to refund it, and I should go back to Adobe direct. The other problem is: although I still have all the original email invoice documentation, I've had the product since February 2015 - that's way longer than 14 days.

Not sure what to do now...

Regards

Daniel Bowes

• 4. Re: How do I return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and get a refund?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel Bowes

Let us start here

But my success is shortlived. The remainder of the file, from when I started cutting at the beginning, to where I got up to last time - about 41 mins in length - that still doesn't save to my PC or DVD or ACHD: encoding process still at 0% Also, although it is autosaved, I still have the problem of: Premiere Elements not shut down properly. Click Close Now, Windows 7 is looking for a solution message.

Please list the number of clips with duration and format in those 41 minutes.

Name any transitions. Effects applied.

Then

More alarming is: when I go back into the Movie Maker MP4 file, I cannot add any transitions - for example the slow dissolve, which should be coloured grey between the panels, is still coloured with it's A-logo colour, so the transitions are not registering.

Where are you when you are doing that - I do not see any slow dissolve transition in Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

The reason that I am hoping to find a video editing solution for you relates to the fact that I am not optimistic about any chance of money back for 13 from the seller and Adobe. Please see Adobe link given to you in post 1 of your thread, and note the statement when your answer is "From a reseller" when the question is How did you buy your Adobe product?

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and get a refund?
                danielb4195942 Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thanks once again for your message and your continued support. I'm sorry to be such a pain to you. In response to your latest thread, I have the following information.

• The file I created exactly 7 days ago is called "My Movie: Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary" (in relation to the location in Australia where the footage was shot). This was made by using Windows Movie Maker Version 2012. The properties of this file are: VLC Media File .MP4. Size: 412 MB. Duration; 11:44.61 You will recall that this was the file I managed to save from a Mini DV tape which broke on me.
                • The transition effect that I have been using throughout certain stages of the whole project is called: "Cross Dissolve", which I add inbetween the panels for a smooth dissolve transition between certain scenes.
                • The transition effect is represented on the timeline by a small square box coloured grey. Now, all the cross dissolve transitions I have been using from the beginning of my whole project, up until the point of where the My Movie MP4 file footage starts - have worked fine. But, when I try to add them to the split panels in the MP4 file, I get the same grey square box, but there are no cross dissolve transitions. I can only assume that this is because the transitions are geared up to work with MPEG2 files and not MP4 files - although I can't see why. When I continued with the project, after the end of the footage in the MP4 file, the rest of the footage is as MPEG2 (from MiniDV tapes that did not break), and I can add cross dissolve transitions as normal, which do work.
                • But all of this is moot anyway because I'm still unable to save the whole project onto my PC hard-drive or onto DVD. I'm still getting the" Adobe Premiere Elements 13 improper shutdown message/Windows 7 is looking for a solution - close program now message"  flash up.
                • In regards to wanting to return my Adobe software package to a reseller - yes I HAVE CAREFULLY READ the "from a reseller" thread, which you kindly included in your last thread. Fortunately, I still have the physical installation CDs, instruction manual, and serial number. I may try uninstalling the software on my PC, and if possible, sell the physical software package on eBay or something - that's the only way I can see to make some money bacvk on this.  But, with that,I am worried that there may be a problem with the serial number needed to activate the software, and my personal Adobe account. I may need to deactivate my Adobe account before I can proceed. Fortunately, the software is not an app so I only need to uninstall the software, and not deactivate it. Do you have any thoughts on this?
                • I will now investigate Roxio and see what they can do for me.

I really appreciate your incredible help and patience with me. But my patience with using this software, has almost run out. I solve one problem, and another set of problems are immediately thrown up in my face. The fact that if I decide, to go with Roxio (which I have used successfully before), is no reflection on you personally, Mr Romano.

I will of course, keep you informed of any new developments. In the meantime, take care.

Very best wishes,

Daniel Bowes

• 6. Re: How do I return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and get a refund?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel Bowes

Thank you for the replies and follow ups.

Whatever your decision on what is best for you, that is what I want for you also.

If you feel it is time to move on to another video editor, I understand and appreciate that you considered my comments.

I saw you with a purchased non working product with no avenue for return/refund and was hoping that we could make it workable

so that your investment was not lost.

Please do not stop your decisions because of what I am about to write. They are my thinking about idea notes to which you need not reply.

Right now I do not think that there is anything wrong with your transition placement, I just need to get back to you with firm details why I believe that.

Hopefully within the next 12 to 24 hours or sooner. The primary concerns in placing a transition are the "handles" at the end of one of the clips and those at the beginning of the next and whether or not those edges are "trimmed". But, I must ask "Are you consistent in which workspace you place the transitions? Are they all being placed either in the Expert workspace or the Quick workspace without switching back and forth? And, what transition alignment have you been setting - Left Clip, Between Clips, Right Clip? And, have you been making adjustments under the More button of the Transition Adjustment Dialog? I have worked with H.264.MP4 and MPEG2.mpg and video transitions without issues.

The export to file and burn to disc may be of far more consequence. I will incorporate my thoughts on that along with the transitions matters.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On....whatever you decide, you have led me into a very interesting video transitions feature - those gray vs those colored transitions markers in Quick.

• 7. Re: How do I return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and get a refund?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel Bowes

I may have solved the mystery of the gray vs the colorful Quick workspace transition marking....first let us see if we are referring to the same thing.....

Had you always been seeing - those gray boxes at the end of the first clip and the being of the second clip in the Quick workspace?

TransitionRenderedQ.JPG

And suddenly you start seeing the following instead

Transitionunrendered quick.JPG

This is what I believe each represents....in the Quick workspace, the gray is the rendered transition and the colorful one is the unrendered transition.

In the Expert workspace, the rendered transition would have a green line over it and the unrendered would have an orange line over it.

If you are in the Quick workspace and stuck with the colorful one, switch to the Expert workspace to determine if there is an orange or green line over the transition. If you find it rendered in Expert, by time you get back to the Quick workspace, you should find your colorful one turned gray. I have not found it to work if I hit Render in the Quick workspace when it comes to these transitions.

Your transition has been applied. With the rendered version, you get the best possible preview of the transition in action.

If I have targeted the area that you were referring to, it is best to focus on the Expert workspace where you can see better what is happening and thus have more control.

As an aside, did you ever wonder about how to delete a transition in the Quick workspace? Click on the placed transition to select it and then hit the computer Delete key. Or, Click on the placed transition to select it and then Edit Menu/Delete.

ATR

Add On...I think I stayed up too late. I decided to see what this looked like in 14. Should not have done that, needs more work in 14. I will consider all this in the morning morning.

• 8. Re: How do I return my Adobe Premiere Elements 13 and get a refund?
                      danielb4195942 Level 1

Dear ATR,

Thank you once again for your very informative response. It has given me food for thought. To answer your points:

• The whole project has been done only in the Quick workspace, not the Expert. Each cross dissolve transition has been added "Between Clips" in the timeline, and are grey in colour. They are positioned at the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second clip. The transition has been rendered because I can see that when I play the clip back. And, yes, I do know how to remove a transition by clicking on the grey square and clicking delete. 
                      • Now, this means that in the timeline from the start of the project at 00:00:00 right up to: 00:41:06.20, the footage is made of MPEG2 files BEFORE the footage rendered from the broken/recovered MiniDV tape - immediately after that is the MP4 file made by Windows Movie Maker Version 2012. In that case, where I tried to insert the cross dissolve transitions, I INITIALLY got the coloured transitions, and you are quite right, the transitions were not rendered. But now, on the MP4 file, I AM getting the grey colour, but the transition is STILL NOT RENDERED.
                      • What might complicate the matter further, is that BEFORE I started working on this project proper - I did tests on things like how to add score, and how to add different types of text, and so on - so that I would know how to do these things in advance, and to familiarize myself with the program, (remember I was more familiar/comfortable working with Roxio software at this time). I saved these files as: Australia Score Test and Australia Titles or Subtitles Test. In fact, my finished project file, still has the name Australia Score Test. I've found that as I added more to the project, the files were automatically listed in my documents with the Adobe logo, next to them, as Australia Score Test_1/2/3/4/5. I have JUST NOW gone into my Documents on Adobe and blitzed (deleted) files 2-5, so that only 1 remains. I have also deleted the same for encoding layout files and prel files. Also, when I tried recently to uninstall and then reinstall the software, using the original disk, in the hope that in doing so might resolve the problem of not burning the project onto DVD or computer - I've found that Adobe files from my previous completed projects had been automatically re-instated. So, I have just deleted them again.
                      • But, I do have two different versions of the same file, when I go to open an existing project: the first file appears to contain the whole project, with the damaged footage "Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary" section as the original MPEG2 file, BEFORE I recut the same footage using Windows Movie Maker Version 2012 and saved it as an MP4 file.0000
                      • The second file contains the same version of the first file, but the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary section IS now the MP4 Movie Maker file - with grey, unrendered transitions.
                      • But all of this may still be moot, because I CANNOT save either file onto my PC or DVD - still get the "Adobe Premiere Elements 13 is not working correctly, close the program/Windows 7 is looking for a solution" message pop up. And the encoding process is still stuck at 0% with the little blue status wheel spinning forever. So, I close the program.
                      • I am unfamiliar with the More button of the Transition Adjustment Dialog - never used it, never even heard of it, and I'm not sure how to use it, I'm afraid.
                      • Remember everything appeared to be fine with the project, until I introduced the damaged Currumbin footage into the mix - after that I got nothing but system crash. But, even when I removed the footage, I still got system crash. That may be all beside the point now. (I have also juggled around with the order, moving all the other footage up 10 mins, by cutting and pasting in the timeline, but that was BEFORE I knew I could rescue the Currumbin Wildlife footage by saving it as an MP4 file). Now, I've put everything back as it was before.
                      • I have contacted Roxio several times today - it works much the same as Adobe chatroom - there is an 0800 number I can call for UK support, even though it's based in the States - they promised somebody would call me/email me to give some advice. But, nothing yet. I did go onto one of their Live support chatrooms, and explained what my predicament was: they've got my details, and maybe somebody will call me later today. I'm in no immediate rush.
                      • If I do go with Roxio though, it would mean recutting everrything by starting over with new software - something I am loathed to do, but I will do it if I have to.

It's now 07:07 in the AM in the UK. This whole thing has given me acute insomnia - but at least we can communicate in the same timeline.

Thanks again for your incredible patience and support. It is of great value.

Take care, buddy.

From Danny.