3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 12:10 PM by SJRiegel

Master pages - different header for chapters

Sean Saratoga

Hi, I'm fairly new to Indesign and I am using a template for a book which included Master Pages set up with bottom number footers, and two upper headers.

The left hand one I am using for my author name, and the right I began using for the book's title.

I want to drop the title and replace it with the name of the current chapter, of which there are thirty five chapters.

It seems I would do this by adding in each separate chapter name as a variable? Or do I create multiple master pages?

Can someone give me the basics as to how I should approach this?

With variables, can I highlight all the pages of the chapter and change the variable for the selected pages without having to do it page by page?

Anyways, and help would be appreciated. As mentioned, this is my first project along these lines.

• 1. Re: Master pages - different header for chapters
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You just need one variable field on the master page, based on a paragraph style that you will use only for the chapter headings. You can place the heading in a box just off the page, but in the bleed on the first page of your chapter.  Having the chapter title once above the first page of the section (as long as it is touching the bleed), carries that title over to subsequent pages until another instance of that paragraph style is found.

Screenshot 2015-10-20 14.00.55.pngScreenshot 2015-10-20 14.00.14.png

Screenshot 2015-10-20 13.59.46.pngScreenshot 2015-10-20 14.00.38.png

• 2. Re: Master pages - different header for chapters
            Sean Saratoga Level 1

Okay, I think I get this.

For my chapter headings, I use one for the chapter number, and a second for the subtitle. So, I would put my paragraph style for the subtitle on page one of the chapter up in the bleed, and it would grab that text to place in the right hand side header? Cool, I'll play with that now and post back if I got it working! Thanks.

And tried before posting and YES! 300 page novel, now with every chapter headed.

That was great. Really appreciate the fast reply!

• 3. Re: Master pages - different header for chapters
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome.  Those sample pages are from a 200+ page catalog currently in progress, so I also appreciate every time-saver like this that I can find.