9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2015 8:23 AM by A.T. Romano

All Footage is Completely White?

sp_gross

I've screen-captured footage using Adobe Captivate and I'm trying to put the clips into Adobe Premiere. The videos work just fine outside of Premiere, and when imported their thumbnails appear correctly, BUT when I play them inside Premiere there's nothing but white (grey, if I put them on the timeline) as if the footage doesn't exist!

I've googled this and tried a few fixes (updating my graphics drivers, converting the footage from MP4 to MPEG, and changing the Playback Settings from 'Hardware' to 'Software') but nothing has worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sp_gross

What version of Premiere Elements, and what computer operating system? What version of Adobe Captivate?

What are the properties of the screen-captured footage from Adobe Captivate? You seem to be suggesting that the file extension is mp4. What is the video compression, audio compression, frame rate etc.? Do you know if Adobe Captivate works from a variable rather than constant frame rate? If you do not know, then put your video through the MediaInfo video audio properties read out program and determine if there are 1 or 3 frame rates in the video properties (Tree View). MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net  Be careful with your downloading and installing choices when Media Info is involved since the program is known to travel with unwanted baggage.

Answers to the above will put us on the path to understanding and/or resolving the issue.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
            sp_gross Level 1

Hello, and thanks for the swift reply! I'm currently using these versions of the software:

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and a trial version Adobe Captivate 9, running on Windows 10 (is it maybe because I'm not allowed to export from a trial version?)

The file extensions are mp4s, yes. Though I've tried converting them to mpegs, avis and movs using Freemake video converter.

Captivate publishes using a fixed framerate, and from what I can see Premiere knows to use the file's pre-existing FPS.

I have a screenshot of all the publish settings here: captivate publish.png

• 3. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

sp_gross

Thanks for the reply with troubleshooting details.

If you are sure that Adobe Captivate is recording with a constant frame rate (as evidenced by one frame rate in the MediaInfo readout), we can rule out that factor. Premiere Elements does not fare well with a video recorded with a variable frame rate across the duration of the clip. That 12 frames per second frame rate by itself is of concern. But other things to focus on first.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 10 and are running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)? What is the video card/graphics card that your Windows 10 64 bit computer is running? If NVIDIA GeForce, stop, we need to talk.   ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

Right now it looks like you have a 1920 x 1080 file with a .mp4 file extension and a 12 frames per second frame rate.

More later.

Please consider, and supply more information. Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
                sp_gross Level 1

I don't have the latest version of Quicktime Installed, I am using the system as an administrator and I do indeed have NVIDIA GeForce. I wasn't aware of that issue - seems like that could definitely be it! I'll try roll back my drivers and see what happens.

EDIT: That's done it! Rolled it back to a 2013 Windows 7 driver and now the previews are working!

Thanks for all your help!

• 5. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

sp_gross

Great news. Great job. Thanks for the follow through.

Be sure to have QuickTime 7.7.6 installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements and run the programs as administrator (user account with administrative privileges). Although 7.7.6 is not the latest version of QuickTime, it will be the Premiere Elements requirement for QuickTime 7 install (typically latest version). Apple has a problem with 7.7.8, the actual latest QuickTime 7 version, and Windows 10.

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Very pleased with the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
                    sp_gross Level 1

So, I've come back after the weekend to make some very small changes to my project and... it's all gone wrong again!

Preview thumbnails are there, but no video. When I scrub through the timeline my audio track plays, but the video does nothing.

Just installed that version of Quicktime to see if that would set things right, but it didn't

• 7. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

sp_gross

Thanks for news of the latest developments in your Premiere Elements workflow.

Let us check out the possibility that the NVIDIA GeForce got automatically updated since the roll back.

Please see Device Manager/Display Adapters/NVIDIA and its properties' Driver tab. Is the dating and version number of the card still May 2013 or are you back to the updated version again.

We will be watching for your results as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
                        sp_gross Level 1

As far as I can tell, NVIDIA has not rolled back.

I managed to edit the video blind (I could see bits of clips when I slapped fade-in transitions on them!), exporting to check if it went well. It's up on Vimeo if you're curious Sam Gross - 2D Game Animation Showreel (2015) on Vimeo

Now that I'm not pressed for time, I'm going to re-update my GeForce drivers for gaming and consider upgrading to a newer version of Premiere in future.

Thanks ATR for all your help, and speedy replies!

• 9. Re: All Footage is Completely White?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

sp_gross

Thanks for the update. I wonder if there is more going on than just the NVIDIA (and its May 2013 dating). Did the new problem exist even if you started a new project?

Best wishes with your projects. Watched and enjoyed your animations.

ATR

Add On....If you do decide to go to a newer version of Premiere Elements in the future, please give the tryout a workout before purchase to assure the compatibility of the program with your computer environment and project goals.....big changes in sharing area layout in 14, no DV and HDV Capture Firewire in 13 and 14, and marked changed in workspaces 10 versus 11 and later...generally principles stay the same but features do not always.