15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 8:30 AM by garryp95381311

Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.

garryp95381311

My folder in LR suggests there are 38 images, the folder I wish to import from has 200, LR has previously imported these photos but they no longer exist in LR. I have no what has happened to them, but LR will not re-import them and if I synchronise it again suggests they already exist.

How do I get to see these images ?

I do not see any filters on the folder.

• 1. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi garryp,

It could be possible that those other images are present in Lightroom and they are in some other folder depending the import settings that you chose.

Would suggest you to pick up the file name of any one those left over images (which you are unable to re-import) and search for that file name in Lightroom.

To do a search, choose all Photographs in Library Module and press backslash (\) to turn on the filter bar and type in the filename in the text box

search_capture.PNG

This will show the image if it would be there in Lightroom Catalog.

You can right click on that image and choose Go to Folder in Library to get to that folder which contains that image.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
            garryp95381311 Level 1

Good suggestion but I already tried this and it doesn't find it.

• 3. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
              dj_paige Level 9

You need to search for the photos by following all four of these steps:

1. On the left hand side of the Library Module, under Catalog, click on "All Photographs"
              2. Expand all stacks (Photos->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
              3. Turn off filters (Ctrl-L) once or twice
              4. Use the Lightroom filter bar to search for one of these files by file name

Once you have found one or more of these photos, make a note of the folder that it is stored in so you can find them again; or assign keywords and/or other metadata to the photos so you can find them again

• 4. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                garryp95381311 Level 1

OK I thlink I'm getting somewhere.

The issue is I have these images on my local drive and a back up drive. In all photos it shows the image assigned to the back up drive but it's not connected. As such LR recognizes the image but won't reimport it it into my local folder.

HOw do I get around this ?

• 5. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                  Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Since, the images are already present in Lightroom, you would not be able to re-import them from your local drive.

If your hard drive is not connected, then do you see the exclamation mark on all those images indicating photos are missing?

do you have the original images on your local folder?

• 6. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                    dj_paige Level 9

Importing or synchronizing is never the way to fix this problem, as you have discovered.

The correct procedure is to tell Lightroom where the photos are located on your hard disk. Here are the instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 7. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                      garryp95381311 Level 1

Sorry for the delay I've been travelling.

So the situation is  per Lightroom :

I have 22000 photos showing in the All photographs section of the catelogIt shows 18000 are missing

I have 4000 in my C: Library

I use 3 drives for my photos:C: Local DriveD: Principal storage for photosE: Back up

As such I could have the same photos in all 3 locations

I typically load the photos in C: and then transfer them to D: and back up D: to E:

When I'm travelling I don;t want to take D: with me so I work on C: photos.I have over 8,000 photos in my C: Drive

It is clear that some of the photos in my C: drive are recognised by LR as being in either D: or E: and will not re-import, or I have a corrupt catalog that "thinks" it's already in C:

What's the solution here? I can;t go through each photo individually to correct it's location.

ThanksGarry

To: Garry Pycroft <garrypycroft@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:15 PM

Subject:  Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.

created by Chetna Srivastava in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionSince, the images are already present in Lightroom, you would not be able to re-import them from your local drive. If your hard drive is not connected, then do you see the exclamation mark on all those images indicating photos are missing?  do you have the original images on your local folder? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8088450#8088450 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8088450#8088450 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 8. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                        dj_paige Level 9

What's the solution here?  I can;t go through each photo individually to correct it's location.

The link I gave shows how to connect folder by folder, or better yet, it shows how to connect an entire hierarchy of folders in one operation. You should read it.

As stated above, re-importing is not the answer. Synchronizing is not the answer.

• 9. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                          garryp95381311 Level 1

If this is the link on locating a missing folder then this doesn't resolve the probrlem.I don;t have any "?" or "!" in the library.

As an example I have my "Arches" folder in LR it shows 39 photosThe C: drive folder it is connected to has 190 photos.The 150 photos "missing" cannot be re-imported as LR recognizes they are loaded (but on another drive)When I go to "import" it provides me the option to upload 0 photos.When I reconnect the folder, nothing changes, when I synch the folder nothing happens.

Help !!!

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 12:53 PM

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

What's the solution here?  I can;t go through each photo individually to correct it's location.

The link I gave shows how to connect folder by folder, or better yet, it shows how to connect entire hierarchies of folders in one operation. You should read it. As stated above, re-importing is not the answer. Synchronizing is not the answer. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8100011#8100011 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8100011#8100011 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 10. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                            dj_paige Level 9

If the photos don't have a question mark or exclamation point, then you need to find these photos in Lightroom. Follow all of these four steps in order:

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
                            2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
                            3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
                            4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Once you find the photos, if they don't have an exclamation point or question mark, then go to the link and go to the section entitled "Updating Folder Location", this will allow you to connect the photos to the folder you see in your operating system.

Importing will not fix this problem. Synchronizing will not fix this problem. You haven't seemed to grasp this point even though I am telling you this and Lightroom is telling you this. You are wasting your time trying to import or synchronize.

• 11. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                              garryp95381311 Level 1

Hello again,

I still haven;t resolved my issue.

So my Catalog shows all my photos - with the portable drive connected no problem, when I remove it I see the "!" against many photos. So I select the "!" and choose the local folder, great. But this ONLY updates that one photo, it does not update all the photos. It seems I have to go through photo by photo to reassign the drive. I looked at whether I could do a batch update but I don't see the option.

So yes the images I want in my c: library are on my c: (local) drive.

Thanks for the guidance so far

RegardsGarry

From: Chetna Srivastava <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:15 PM

created by Chetna Srivastava in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionSince, the images are already present in Lightroom, you would not be able to re-import them from your local drive. If your hard drive is not connected, then do you see the exclamation mark on all those images indicating photos are missing?  do you have the original images on your local folder? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8088450#8088450 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8088450#8088450 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

• 12. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                                dj_paige Level 9

garryp95381311 wrote:

Hello again,

I still haven;t resolved my issue.

So my Catalog shows all my photos - with the portable drive connected no problem, when I remove it I see the "!" against many photos. So I select the "!" and choose the local folder, great. But this ONLY updates that one photo, it does not update all the photos. It seems I have to go through photo by photo to reassign the drive. I looked at whether I could do a batch update but I don't see the option.

So yes the images I want in my c: library are on my c: (local) drive.

Thanks for the guidance so far

This is why I gave you a link in an earlier message to the exact instructions that would allow you to reconnect entire folders, instead of photo by photo. It seems you haven't read it. I think you should read it.

• 13. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                                  garryp95381311 Level 1

Hi DJ_Paige,

I appreciate your patience and I have read that article. The only option I see from this is to move the folder and have the library rebuild itself.Following the purely "update folder location" does not add the missing photos as the folder already knows the true location on the drive (as there are 40 images already showing).I'm almost at the point of just deleting this folder and then re-importing the folder.

RegardsGarry

From: dj_paige <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 4:05 AM

|

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

garryp95381311 wrote: Hello again,I still haven;t resolved my issue.So my Catalog shows all my photos - with the portable drive connected no problem, when I remove it I see the "!" against many photos. So I select the "!" and choose the local folder, great. But this ONLY updates that one photo, it does not update all the photos. It seems I have to go through photo by photo to reassign the drive. I looked at whether I could do a batch update but I don't see the option.So yes the images I want in my c: library are on my c: (local) drive.Thanks for the guidance so far

This is why I gave you a link in an earlier message to the exact instructions that would allow you to reconnect entire folders, instead of photo by photo. It seems you haven't read it. I think you should read it. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8123118#8123118 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8123118#8123118 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. |

• 14. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                                    dj_paige Level 9

If you're not going to try "Update Folder Location", then there is no solution. "Update Folder Location" does exactly what you want it to do, if only you'd give it a try.

• 15. Re: Folder is not showing images and will not re-import.
                                      garryp95381311 Level 1

In the Library, I go to the folder, select "Update folder location"...it does nothing, the 42 images that were shown previously remain the only images displayed, yet the folder on the drive contains over 100 images.The only option I can see is to go into catalog and photo by photo update where the image resides (locally rather than on the portable drive). If I could bulk select the photos and update the image location this would work but I do not see the procedure for this. I have to do each individually.

From: dj_paige <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 4:05 AM

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionIf you're not going to try "Update Folder Location", then there is no solution. "Update Folder Location" does exactly what you want it to do, if only you'd give it a try. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8126669#8126669 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8126669#8126669 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"