14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 12:25 PM by dj_paige

Unable to locate missing photos

mcable1981 Level 1

I understand how the filing system works and have made sure not to move any photos in my hard drive without doing so in Lr. I import raw files to my Mac hard drive, edit them, and they are stored on my Mac hard drive ONLY. Previous pictures that were on my old HP were successfully loaded onto this Mac hard drive with the help of Lr tech support last fall and have not been moved since. A large chunk of pictures from January of this year to July of this year, as well as random pictures from various years as early as 2010 are now not located. I have EXPORTED (not moved) to desk top files for printing purposes many times, but even photos that were never exported are showing up missing. All of my missing photos are listed as being in that since-erased desktop folder. Additionally, any photos that are found are the exported jpg, not CR2 files. Please help as I have no idea why these photos are missing or where else they could be as I do not move files, only export through Lr. I do periodically back up my entire Mac on an external hard drive, so should I simply load an older catalog? Please help!

If at all possible, I would love to speak to a human being on the phone. I had a wonderful experience when tech support helped me move photo files from my deceased HP hard drive last fall. I was actually planning to upgrade to Lr 6 but wanted to back up the entire program to an external hard drive before loading the new version, just in case. Now I don't feel comfortable doing so without knowing why this happened and how to get my precious photos back.

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

• 1. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi mcable,

The only reason for file missing form the Lightroom catalog is either images deleted from the Original location Or its moved to some other place.

If you move your images after you import them in Lightroom, Lightroom won't able to update the file location own it own. you need to manually relocate the images in Lightroom catalog.

You can refer the below link that how can you relocate the Images and folder in Lightroom catalog.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Locate missing photos

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

All of my missing photos are listed as being in that since-erased desktop folder.

How did you "erase" this desktop folder?

This would be the missing images perhaps?

• 3. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
              mcable1981 Level 1

I erased the desktop folder but, again, I have exported files MANY times to a desktop folder for printing, erased it and not had this trouble. I have scoured my hard drive for this large chunk of CR2s and they aren't there. I put the folder in the Trash on my Mac.

90% of the photos missing were never exported, period, let alone to this folder. Some haven't even been edited.

Here's my biggest concern: photos I haven't moved, only exported are missing. Photos I haven't even exported are missing. Photos I haven't even edited are missing. I know to move photos only in Lr and have not done anything except export.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                dj_paige Level 9

I have scoured my hard drive for this large chunk of CR2s and they aren't there.

You shouldn't be "scouring" your hard drive ... you should use your operating system's search feature to search all of your hard drives for one or more of these missing files, by file name. Try that and let us know what you find.

Do you have backups of the photos in question?

Perhaps I have misunderstood something, but it seems that you haven't addressed the point made by wobertc about the folder you deleted. What was in it? Were the missing photos in that folder?

• 5. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                  mcable1981 Level 1

I did use the file names. My hard drive contains some of the jpgs but the chunk of files missing aren't in my photo folder where all of my uploaded photos go automatically.

I do have backups of these photos as the entire hard drive is backed up on an external hard drive but the last backup contains the same clitch - those chunk of photos are missing. also searched this hard drive for the file names without luck.  I have also never erase my SD cards.

The folder in question contained exported jpgs of some of the missing photos, but definitely not all of those that Lr claims were last seen there. And definitely not my CR2 files because I never moved those, only exported jpgs. 

Im sorry if this is confusing. I've not moved my photos in or out of Lr simply to avoid this problem! If this makes no sense, I'll call the help line. Sorry for the bother.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                    dj_paige Level 9

I'm still not seeing the words I want to see.

Did you use your operating system's search feature to search ALL hard drives for these photos? Yes or No? (And for the purposes of this question, let's not discuss exports or moving files or any other that other stuff, just Yes or No regarding how you did the search)

• 7. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                      mcable1981 Level 1

Yes. I entered the file name in the search bar on both my Mac and the hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                        mcable1981 Level 1

Yes. I entered the file name in the search bar on both my Mac and the hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                          mcable1981 Level 1

I dug the file out of the Mac trash and have restored the photos. My husband is no longer allowed to touch Lr.

All joking aside, if a file is exported as a jpg to a desktop file from Lr (for printing from a printing lab, for example), I should be able to delete that desktop folder without losing the raw file location, correct?

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: Unable to locate missing photos

I have also never erase my SD cards.

wow! then your original CR2 files must be there?

You must have a lot of SD cards!

(Just peeking into your discussion with dj who is better at answers!)

• 11. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                              dj_paige Level 9

if a file is exported as a jpg to a desktop file from Lr (for printing from a printing lab, for example), I should be able to delete that desktop folder without losing the raw file location, correct?

Correct!

• 12. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                                mcable1981 Level 1

Um, yeah. I also have the files backed up on Time Machine and an external hard drive. The SD cards are in a fire and water proof safe. Weeee bit paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone

• 13. Re: Unable to locate missing photos

if a file is exported as a jpg to a desktop file from Lr (for printing from a printing lab, for example), I should be able to delete that desktop folder without losing the raw file location, correct?

Yes! (as per DJ_ )  but if you added that folder to the catalog, and deleted it with the OS (not LR) then that folder would still show in the library catalog but be marked as 'missing' with a [?]

Sounds like it's time to dig into that safe!!! Nothing wrong with being paranoid when it comes to preserving your images!

• 14. Re: Unable to locate missing photos
                                    dj_paige Level 9

Clarification

dj_paige wrote:

Correct!

If a file is exported as a jpg to a desktop FOLDER file, I should be able to delete that desktop folder without losing the raw file location IF THE RAW IS NOT IN THAT FOLDER.