6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 6:14 AM by rpandita

GTX570 not used

traveler6666 Level 1

Although my GPU is recognized and shown as passed within Lightroom 6.2.1 there is absolutely no utilization of the card (e.g. GPZ-Z).  How can this be fixed?

Additionally, I am really disappointed how LR utilizes a new PC with 32GB RAM I7-6700K two SSDs and 2 x Raids (0 and 5) with  fresh W10/64 install where everything! (CPU, Disks, RAM, GPU=0) is only utlized by less then 50% and I am waiting infront of the PC for LR! This has not changed since LR 1.0!

• 1. Re: GTX570 not used
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi traveler6666,

Greetings.

• GPU will be used only when you are working in the develop module, as an example if you do hdr merge or you do some editing.
          • I am not quite sure by your second question.
            • is LR using more that 50% of the CPU or LESS that 50% ?

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: GTX570 not used
            traveler6666 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I will check with the GPU. So it is not used generating the previews?!

In general, when I use LR my PC is less then 50% utilized. So where are the brakes? It is a Z170 with enough PCI lanes.

• 3. Re: GTX570 not used
              Phil323uk Level 2

Hi,

The first post here from Eric Chan will give you info on what to expect with GPU acceleration.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1828580

And this link will give some general info on GPU acceleration in general.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

As you can see from this your GPU is not on Adobe's recommended list.

You might get better performance by turning off GPU support in Lightroom.

• 4. Re: GTX570 not used

Hi again,

• It does use GPU while generating the previews, but it does not really use a lot of resources while generating the preview.
                  • Try updating the drivers if you have some issues with the GPU and LR - Drivers | GeForce
                • LR will use, depending on your work flow only that amount of CPU which it requires, and less that 50% is enough with the configuration you have.

Regards

Rohit.

• 5. Re: GTX570 not used
                  traveler6666 Level 1

Thanks for the quick replys.

The GPU was - I believer - recommended when I purchased it 3 years ago for Adobe Premiere Pro and it works with it. I updated the driver with no real improvement.

Concerning the overall performance: Why do I have to wait in front of the PC for lightroom to generates preview in snail speed? The hdd is utilized with about 1 MB/s! Yesterday night I was waiting 30 seconds for it to generate a preview from a jpg! RAWs were about the same time. If this is the performance increase that was announced with the version 6, I go back to Version 5.

Regards,
                  Claus

• 6. Re: GTX570 not used

Hi again,

• As Philip has said it is not a tested graphics card with LR 6, so rather than making LR work faster it can cause more issues to it.
                    • Uncheck use graphics processor in Preferences - Performance
                    • Restart LR and then check again.

Regards

Rohit