6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 4:10 AM by Peter Spier

Nested Style break through to Paragraph Return not Forced Line Break

projectsix Level 1

Hi

I am producing a printed brochure for a client of their products, I am photographing the product and then placing on the page layout in InDesign. The typography on the brochure (each line being of different style) will be Code, Short 4/5 word description, Size and quantity in pack then price. When I am taking the shot I want to copy and past in the meta description this text with returns that is supplied by my client. In InDesign I want to place the image then use 'Object/Captions/Generate Caption…' and apply a nested style. As clients don't always listen it will be far simpler to say to them to supply the copy with returns rather than forced line breaks. There are hundreds of these products and I know they will put some returns in if I ask for forced line breaks so best to ask for returns so they will all be the same.

Now to the questions:

How can I run a Nested Style through to a Paragraph Return?

All I can see is a Forced Line Break?

Or any other thoughts on how to do this?

Many thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: Nested Style break through to Paragraph Return not Forced Line Break
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A paragraph return starts a new paragraph, so it restarts any nested styling. You cannot do what you want directly with nested styles. You must either devise a method for using find/change to convert the paragraph breaks to line breaks (and that would be relatively simple if you have only one style for captions, and it is used for them exclusively, and each caption is its own story), or you can set up a "cycle" of individual paragraph styles, assigning a Next Style to each one to set up the styling sequence, but this only works if your pattern is 100% consistent -- always the same number of paragraphs and in the same order.

• 2. Re: Nested Style break through to Paragraph Return not Forced Line Break
            projectsix Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for a speedy response!

Firstly I looked into using the 'next style' feature which I have not used before and cannot seem to get to work properly, it seems to only work when I use a forced line break again and not a para break? Secondly I am not sure this method will work for me as there is no feature in the 'Caption Setup' to apply style then next style. I want to set things up so that once I have 'generated caption' from the images I do not have to enter the text block again just position it. At this stage I think the best option is to reiterate to my client the importance of the 'forced line' break as opposed to 'paragraph' break in the supplied copy and use nested styles.

Do you have any other thoughts?

Many thanks

Martin

• 3. Re: Nested Style break through to Paragraph Return not Forced Line Break

The use of Next Style would require setting up an Object Style that specifies the first style and also apply next style (and I don't know how this would interact with captions), or coming back to the text, select all, and right-click the name of the first style, then choose Apply <stylename> and next style. Next style is only applied automatically (other than by object style) when you type a paragraph break.

Honestly, given that the client is extremely unlikely to follow directions, or to manage to get the pattern perfect for using the next style feature, I'd go with the find/change method, setting up nested styles, and do it after the captions are in place. You'll still need to be prepared for out-of-order segments -- that's a fact of page layout life.

• 4. Re: Nested Style break through to Paragraph Return not Forced Line Break
                projectsix Level 1

Thanks Peter,

Yes I think place the supplied copy in an InDesign doc then find and replace all then use that doc to copy and paste into the meta description of the image. This way I can just find and replace all and it won't affect any intro pages body copy.

Thanks again

Martin

• 5. Re: Nested Style break through to Paragraph Return not Forced Line Break

No, you will need a different style to apply to captions, no matter where you do the find/change. You can't selectively apply nested styles to some paragraphs and not to others that use the same style.

• 6. Re: Nested Style break through to Paragraph Return not Forced Line Break

You can limit the find/change to one particular paragraph style in the Find Options section....