11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 7:47 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.

Six_Blocks

Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10. Worked fine on my PC since I bought the program a few years ago and have been editing with it with ease. I put the program on my new Mac laptop and can't see or hear the audio of imported clips.

• 1. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

six_blocks

Premiere Elements 10 on Mac

What are the properties of the involved clips - are these "audio" clips or "video that comes with linked audio" clips?

What Premiere Elements Get Media/ choice are you using?

By

can't see or hear the audio of imported clips.

are you saying that, when you import the file into the Timeline workspace of the project, there is no representation of the audio in Project Media?

What Mac OSX is your Mac using?

Let us start with the above and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
            Six_Blocks Level 1

Thanks for the reply

When I put in something I filmed, in the timeline you can see a picture of the video clip. Usually you can see the soundwaves of the audio but this is just the straight flat black like, even when the audio is expanded.

If I put an mp3 audio file in to the narration then I can hear that, but not from the actual video clip.

Mac OSX 10.9.5

• 3. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
              Six_Blocks Level 1

Not really a "new" computer. But one I was given to use at work.

• 4. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

six_blocks

Thanks for the reply.

Your details suggest a problem with the audio format so let us explore that further.

Please excuse the following questions if you have been there and done that already. I do not want to take anything for granted....

1. There are 2 audio display format types at the Timeline level

a. one with just a horizontal black line that runs through the audio clip

b. one with the waveform

You select the one you want by repeated clicking (toggling) of the icon to the left of the audio track name. Is there no waveform seen in the Timeline audio representation for the file if you toggle that icon?

2. What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the file?

3. You wrote

If I put an mp3 audio file in to the narration then I can hear that, but not from the actual video clip.

Can I assume that the problem video/audio is on Video 1/Audio 1? You seem to say that a mp3 audio file plays back with sound when placed in the Narration Track. If you remove the problem video/audio from Video 1/Audio 1, and place the mp3 audio file on Audio 1, does that mp3 file play back with sound?

If you move your problem video/audio file to Video 2/Audio 2, does the problem still exist?

Before the problem presents, have you created any narrations with the project's Narration Tool?

Please review and consider. And, then based on the details in your reply, we will plan troubleshooting strategy.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
                  Six_Blocks Level 1

1. Still no waveforms, even in preview you can't hear the sound

2. Canon T5i, if I watch the clips in iphoto, you can hear the sound but not in PE 10

3. I tried it in a different channel video2/audio2 and still wasn't there. I haven't created any narration but I can't seem to record using the built in microphone, when I go to the audio preferences under audio hardware it is set to built in output. When I try and change it to "system default input/output" it give me an error message saying "Ensure that you have installed Adobe premiere elements in the administrator mode, and have sufficient privileges to change the audio setting"

If I put the mp3 in audio 1 I can hear the mp3 played and see the audio waveform

• 6. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

six_blocks

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the properties of that Canon T5i video, you are probably working with an AVCHD.mov file (1920 x 1080 @ 30, 25, or 24 progressive frames per second). The audio is said to be PCM Stereo. Is that what you have?

Are you running the program as administrator, from a user account with administrative privileges?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements?

Does the problem exist with and without antivirus and firewalls disabled?

If you open the QuickTime player, do you get the following pop up? If so, what happens if you click Yes to the following pop up

QuickTimePlayer.JPG

For troubleshooting purposes only.....What happens if you take the AVCHD.mov into HandBrake to get the H.264.mp4 version and then import that into the Premiere Elements project, do you get sound for the file when it is on the Timeline Video 1/Audio 1? https://handbrake.fr/

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
                      Six_Blocks Level 1

I didn't get the error when I opened quicktime, the version on this computer is 10.3

I am not sure when it comes to administrator. I found the discs from when I bought it and put it in and loaded/installed it. Much like I did when I got it the first time. Wondering if because it is a work issued computer that is technically mine there is still some sort of lock on it.

When I put it through hand break I had the audio

• 8. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

six_blocks

Thanks for the reply with very interesting results.

The fact that the HandBrake conversion worked leads me to believe that the issue resides in this particular file.

In the conversion...

a. The audio format went from PCM to AAC....still Stereo.

b. The file extension went from .mov to .mp4

I am strictly an Elements Windows user....for Mac, how are you set up for user account with administrative privileges as per the following online link

How do I grant a user administrator privileges in Mac OS X?—ESET Knowledgebase

If you are forced to use the HandBrake workaround to get sound for these files, the good news is that I believe that HandBrake can do Batch conversion as well as the individual type.

We will be watching for your progress as your time permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
                          Six_Blocks Level 1

Thanks for the reply, in HandBreak I assume/hope that I don't lose any video quality. The majority of the stuff that I edit is a strength and conditioning podcast where we use a separate audio file from an mp3 or wave but having the sound in the clip obviously helps when trying to match them up but not the end of the world...for now haha. As sometimes as the camera man I chirp in with comments and use the camera mic for me.

I do have admin privileges on this computer, which is strange. 

• 10. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
                            Six_Blocks Level 1

sorry for the slow reply, I thought I clicked Add Reply

• 11. Re: Can't get audio from clips in Elements 10.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Six_Blocks

Thanks for the replies.

The quality of the HandBrake export H.264.mp4 has been very good (no loss of quality), and I have not even bothered with enhancing any of the settings.

But, always good to do the mini test run before the regular project.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR