9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 5:24 PM by Evokejay

How do I change parts of a moving object?

Evokejay Level 1

I've got a character who is running, and i'd like to change his outfit at a certain point without redoing the keyframing. I've got both outfits done in illustrator and have tried alt-dragging the 2nd outfit onto a duplicate of the 1st animation precomp but instead of pasting in place it paste whereever it wants in the frame.

I'm looking for this exact effect:

Abhishek Shankar - HCL (Director's Cut) on Vimeo

• 1. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?
          Mathias Moehl Adobe Community Professional

This is hard to understand without knowing more details about your comp. Are the layers just animated with position scale and rotation, or are you using the puppet tool or anything else?

• 2. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?
            Evokejay Level 1

Just position, scale and rotation. No puppet tool

• 3. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the layers are the same size you can duplicate the layer then use the replace footage option on the top copy then add a transition like wipe or an opacity fade.

If this were my project I would have created the character and the clothing in illustrator as a composition with each element on a separate layer. Then I would have imported the AI file as a composition retaining layer sizes, then I would have turned off the visibility of the layers I wanted to reveal, the change of cloths and since you are just animating position, scale and rotation, I would have parented the first set of clothing to the second set, animated the first set, then turned on the first set and used a transition to reveal the change of clothing.

If Puppet Pin was required and the change in clothing is the same size you can duplicate the layer as I said before, then select the duplicate set of clothing in the timeline, then the new set of clothing footage in the Project Panel, then hold down the Alt/Option key and drag the replacement footage to the timeline. If puppet pin was involved you would then have to pre-compose the layer before adding the transition unless it was just an opacity change.

• 4. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?
                Evokejay Level 1

I want to try the parenting option but im expecting to run into an issue: my characters are separated in different layers, and each part is parented to each other say the arm to the body. I need to do the same for the different character outfit as well. But how can i do that for the second one and still parent this whole thing to the first one?

• 5. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?

If you are just changing one layer then just make the replacement layer the child of the original.  That should not break anything. It would be easier to give you precise instructions if you included a screenshot that shows the layers you want to replace with all of their modified properties revealed. Just select the layers and Presley u Key twice and then drop a full resolution screen shot into the reply field on this forum.

• 6. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?
                    Evokejay Level 1

Character A.JPG

This is Character A. Character B's layers look exactly the same. And here's the same above layers but with the keyframes included.  I can't extend it more to show every layer

modified.JPG

• 7. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?

What layer are you trying to replace?

Just drag the replacement layer, to the timeline above the existing animated layer. Set the CTI to the start of the animation, select the replacement layer, hold down the shift key and parent the new layer to the original. If you need to change the pants and change the shirt then you'll need to do the same thing with both of those elements. Holding down the Shift key when parenting makes the child, the replacement layer, jump to the current position of the parent layer so no lineup should be required. If you start off scaled or rotated then you'll either have to adjust the scale and rotation to match or you'll have to use the duplicate the layer I want to replace trick and then replace the footage with the new layer. This may cause problems if there are things parented to the duplicate layer so you may need to get a bit creative. I can't tell unless I see the layer you want to replace with all of it's modified properties revealed at the first keyframe in that layer's animation. For example, if you want to replace the Torso layer then select that layer, press the U key twice, then show me a screenshot that includes all of the modified properties for that layer.

This whole thing may be easier if you just duplicate the composition in the Project Panel and then change the source footage in the duplicate. You can then just put both comps in a master comp and do a transition between them.

• 8. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?
                        Evokejay Level 1

I need to replace just the arms, legs, and torso.

I will try both and reply with an update. Rick thanks for taking time out to assist me with this and these options.

• 9. Re: How do I change parts of a moving object?
                          Evokejay Level 1

Rick, SO FAR SO GREAT! Thank you so much, I parented the other outfit to the original and rotated and positioned at the very beginning and it's working great. Once again, thank you for helping me with this. You've been wonderful.