14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 5:17 PM by wobertc

Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)

MissM2 Level 1

I have been having a lot of trouble getting a custom book template to save. I have finally gotten a 4-square image per page template working, but cannot configure a 12pt font to set below each of the 4 images. The text defaults to 18pt --it sits below the two top images, but sits on the lower portion--on top of the two bottom images-- I can't get them all to show at 12pt. Is it even possible to have 12 point font show below each of the 4 images?

Thank you!

[Notes taken while trying to set up the custom book: I have configured the book settings in the upper right corner; PDF, Small Square. The page to the layout I want, configured the book preferences (from the toolbar) to ‘zoom to fit’ and ‘constrain captions to text safe area’, use metadata file name. Under ‘Auto Layout' I have ‘Multiple-Both Pages’ set as default. I updated the preset to Multiple Both Pages, left side drop down to “same as right side” and right side dropdown to ‘fixed layout’, 4 photos (and selected which layout), zoom to fit.

I keep changing the font size to 12 (from 18) and it only allows text below or above—but not both (why isn't this possible for a 4 image layout?)

• 1. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

"Is it possible?"

Yes, I have had no trouble achieving 4 images each with text below.

Using any of the 4up templates supplied by Lightroom,

In the Text panel- tick/check 'PhotoText', adjust the 'Offset' to about 15pt. Check 'Align with Photo'

My "Type" options allow me to set font down to 4pt text.

Some templates the text shows 'on' the image, but simply corrected by altering the Cell 'Bottom' padding. (Remove the check from the 'Link all' box)

Keep trying.!

ScreenShot128.jpg

• 2. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
            MissM2 Level 1

Thank you, wobertc. Is it really not possible to save presets? I have attempted to make this book at least a few dozen times, modifying settings in the panel. I have about 150 (almost all square) images that I need to put into this particular book, so it would be great if the program saved my settings so I would have the least amount of tweaking to do--but every time I make the changes and create the book, it doesn't seem to have used the settings I applied in the panel.  Copy and pasting settings does not work--in the standard c/p way (is there another way?!) I'll need to do this all over again in about a month...so I need to figure out what I'm not doing right!

• 3. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)

Are you "Saving" your book design ?

1. When you first add images to the book module, you should click on the Tab- [Create Saved Book]

Then always re-open your book from the Book named in the Collection Panel.

Then everything you do in designing your book is automatically saved as you work. (so it is a bit like a 'smart' collection.)

ScreenShot137.jpgScreenShot139.jpg

2. When you have designed a page with image and text, etc, you can 'Save' the page as a CUSTOM PAGE. Right-click on the page for the menu. You can have many "Custom Pages" and select them from the Page selection menu (under 'Custom Pages' )  So consider these as page templates of YOUR DESIGN! or Page 'Presets'

ScreenShot143.jpg

3. You could set your default Book Layout Design as a PRESET (In the [Auto Layout] panel ) to use your  preferred Custom page for the whole book.

This makes it easy to select your 150 images, open the Book module, Click [Auto Layout],  Your design is done!

ScreenShot144.jpg

• 4. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
                MissM2 Level 1

wobertc Thank you very much for your time putting that together. I thought that I had been saving presets all along but those changes weren't reflected in the books I created. I'll go through the steps as you laid them out. Maybe I was doing something wrong. It really is not intuitive for me (maybe Adobe is using a format widely used in an other app regularly used by publishers--no idea!)

One of the issues I'm having is that although I set the text to 10pt, it always uploads at 18. I hit 'clear book' to change the settings and upload the images again, and it gets rid of the settings. Ideally, so there is not confusion on the recipient end of this book, I would like to put the image titles on top of the top two images (photo text) (I've set the template to 4, square) and the title text below the two bottom images (page text.) I had issues with there being enough room for text--and enough room for the images to show enough detail doing it another way (but maybe you can't / shouldn't use page text in this way.) So I create a new book (it's not currently set to auto-populate), configure everything, then there is no way to save -that-, and if I create a new book and have presets, there is no 'populate' tool...I've tried it the other way-- populated the book, configured the settings, but it didn't make changes to the whole book.

• 5. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
                  MissM2 Level 1

I've spent hours and hours on this. It's absolutely ridiculous. I've used a ton of software programs over the years and I've been trying to recall the last program I used that made me this frustrated. Unless you're using a set template in Book, I'd give Adobe an F for making it intuitive to customize, save and reuse those custom settings.

• 6. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)

image titles on top of the top two images (photo text) (I've set the template to 4, square) and the title text below the two bottom images

How?   Select the 'Top' two images (by CTRL+Click both) Apply "Photo Text", Click on the [ABOVE] button.

Select the 'Bottom' two images (by CTRL+Click both) Apply "Photo Text", Click on the [BELOW] button.

Change 'Padding' and 'Offset' sliders to position image and text on each individual "Selected" image.

Page text is one cell for the whole page.

Photo text can be applied to each Photo cell.

"Clear Layout" as you discovered clears everything. Not advised!

Only use "Auto Layout" when starting a new book design.

You must always Create a 'Saved' Book in the collection panel! and work from that.

To maintain some consistency when you want to change images-

You can duplicate the saved book in the collections panel (rename the 'copy')

You can delete images from a Saved book Collection (the 'Copy' you made?)- in the collections panel (NOT the book)

You can add other images to a Saved Book collection- in the collections panel. Then Open and place 'new' images in the Book design.

if I create a new book and have presets, there is no 'populate' tool..

"Auto Layout" is the 'populate' tool. And you select your wanted preset in the auto layout panel.

So your "Custom Page" is - Four Images, Photo Text Above & Below, and could be used in an Auto Layout Preset.

Stick with it !  It will become easier after the learning process.

You must watch some videos (eg. Julianne Kost) or buy a book- (Martin Evening or Scott Kelby)

• 7. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
                      MissM2 Level 1

I'm making another book again! ARGH! wobertc (or anyone else!) can you tell me if the Page Text (not the photo text) is also part of what can be saved and reused? I keep updating the preset and nothing happens. (Were you saying that you have to lay out one page the way you want it then 'Create Saved Book', clear book, then click auto-layout again?) I finally have the book layout the way I want it, but I can't get the page text on the bottom to work when populating the book. I need the same text on each page on the bottom of the book. Thank you!

• 8. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)

Hi again,

If I am correct, it is difficult to have the same text appear on every page.

Page Text is specific to each page and must be typed on each page.

Photo Text is extremely difficult to make appear under all Photos, but you can save a "Custom Text" preset.

Try this it may work, sometimes!!!-

1. Select several photos by holding Ctrl and clicking on each PHOTO (not the pages or backgrounds), 

2. Tick the box for Photo Text,

3. in the drop-down menu choose 'Custom Text',

4. Drop-down again and choose 'Edit Custom Text', type your text to appear.

5. Save your Custom Text as a preset. It will be always available to add to any photo.

You may be lucky to see the same custom text under the selected Photos. Even if you have to apply the Custom Text to each photo one-by-one, possible but time-consuming.

An easier way might be to create a PNG image in Photoshop (sized the same as the Book pages eg. 8x10inch).

Type your "Global Text" near an edge on a transparent background, use this PNG image as a Global 'page' background.It needs some pre-thought with the page templates you intend to use.

Custom Page templates only save the 'Positions' of photo and text, not the text!

• 9. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
                          MissM2 Level 1

Thank you, wobertc - nothing is easy, right?! I wanted to use that page text for my contact information and there are over 30 pages in this book so I was hoping to auto-populate. I had considered making a background as you mentioned, but that is another trial and error process I was hoping to avoid (it's a deadline issue)! Oh well. Looks like for now, that's what has to be done. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

• 10. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
                            MissM2 Level 1

Ok...Is the 4 clean square 8x10? The background graphic is not showing up!

• 11. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
                              MissM2 Level 1

Okay--I just wanted to come back and close this loop for anyone else having this issue. I did make a background in Photoshop with the proper orientation (10x8 (not 8x10) - based on the Standard Landscape in the Book Module (the layout is listed at the top of the right frame and can be changed--that's just what I needed mine to be - using 4 even clean squares.) If you have many pages in your book and a deadline that won't allow you to manually input page text on each page (that is the ideal way) then the background created in PS using the 'apply globally' tool is unfortunately what you're forced to do. I was on the phone with tech support trying to figure out why it wasn't showing up and the guy said to save the PS file as a JPEG (I had tried .png, .psd.) Okay, that worked, but it looked awful. Al things considered, I needed to send the book off with the bottom text--looking awful. I really hope this is something Lightroom addresses in future iterations. The module is so close to being SO much less frustrating!

• 12. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)

Cannot resist a reply!!

Text on a background graphic (created in Photoshop) does not have to be "Awful".

ScreenShot144.jpg

• 13. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)
                                  MissM2 Level 1

Here's what mine looked like: Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 6.34.20 PM.png

Like I mentioned, the psd and png versions wouldn't show--I will go back and try again though-maybe the issue was something else. I'm not sure why the Adobe support guy said to use jpg--I assumed that was the proper format for that use (given my previous failed attempts.) I'm wondering now if maybe files made using the type tool in PS need to be saved at a certain dpi? Je ne sais pas...

Thank you wobertc

• 14. Re: Text below 4 images in a book? (PDF)

saved at a certain dpi?

Yes-  A 'New' document in Photoshop 10x8 inches 300ppi.

JPG is ok, since you could make the 'page' a color for the background.

And I have learnt that a PNG image is only needed for Watermarks in Print module, where transparency if often required.

ScreenShot145.jpgA Background JPG with a Logo.

Interestingly, a background graphic and Background color (both checked on), cannot be visible together- and moving the Opacity slider shifts from one to the other, with a fade between both extremes.