1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2015 2:19 AM by haynesgeoff

PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn

haynesgeoff

Some time ago I put 8 films onto 3 DL DVDs (2 3s and a 2). 1 of them has become corrupted so I decided to put 2 films on each of 4 DL DVDs using the original files.

The files went into PE13 OK and I added a menu as in the original. I haven't made any further changes. When I try to burn to 8.5 GB file it encodes OK but then sticks on 0% burn. When I eventually click on cancel the program freezes.

Anybody have any ideas please?

• 1. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
          A.T. Romano Level 7

haynesgeoff

Premiere Elements 13 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 13 to 13.1 with an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Does you computer use an Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher video card graphics card? If not, please disable the preference

"Use Hardware Acceletation (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)".

With your DVD DL in the burner tray and just before you hit the Burn button in the burn dialog, what does the Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate (with check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

If you cannot burn to disc, can you burn to Folder (8.5 GB)?

Please consider and then let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

Any questions or need clarification about the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
            haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi ATR

Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz. OS W7 64 bit.

I've just tried updates and it downloaded Adobe Applications Manager. It now says all up to date.

Graphics card: 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5450 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

How do I disable "Use Hardware Acceleration" please?

I never burn directly to disc. When I try to burn to folder (8.5 GB) space required is 7.95 GB and bitrate is 3.64 Mbps.

I'm very grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Geoff

• 3. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Go to the Preferences (under the Edit menu on a PC) and, on the General page, uncheck the option to use hardware acceleration.

If that doesn't work, make sure timeline does not include blank spaces or places where there is audio but no video. Replace any blank spots on your timeline with blank video clips.

Also, make sure that Fit Contents to Disc is selected on your DVD burn option screen.

• 4. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

As mentioned already disabling the preference Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher) typically gets rid of a lot of export issues if you do not have one of those cards. You do that by going to Expert workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General and removing the check mark (if there) next to that preference at that location.

But, from your latest information

When I try to burn to folder (8.5 GB) space required is 7.95 GB and bitrate is 3.64 Mbps.

Whether you burn to disc DVD DL or Folder (8.5 GB), that information tells me that you are trying for too much content on that burn to. The 8.5 GB/240 min spec in reality is 7.95 GB. So I interpret that Space Required 7.95 GB as max capacity and the project had to lower the max bitrate from 8.00 Mbps to 3.64 Mbps which is extremely low and which is expected to give a poor quality product.

Your Space Required and Bitrate appear to be content consistent with you already working with the "Fit Content To Available Space".

Any consideration for Timeline irregularities would appear to be secondary to too much content. For troubleshooting purposes, what happens if you make a copy of the project and decrease the Timeline content, is the burn to Folder (8.5 GB) successful?

We will be watching for further development as your schedule permits.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                  haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve and AT

I have unticked Use Hardware Acceleration but am still getting the same problem.

I understand your point about too much content but this is puzzling - the file I'm now working with has a running time of about 4.5 hours but the DVD I made some time ago had a running time of about 7 hours. I had no difficulties doing this, it played OK and the quality was fine although, I guess, the bitrate must have been around 2Mbps.

If there's no way round this I guess I'll have to split my 8 films between 8 discs.

Many thanks for your input.

Geoff

• 6. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that you're creating a 4 1/2 hour DVD with plans to output a 7 hours?

Maybe AT Romano can help you. That's way beyond what I can support or even recommend.

• 7. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                      haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

No. What I'm saying is that I'm struggling to create a DVD which will run for 4.5 hours when I had previously used the same originals + others to create a 7 hour DVD which gave me no problems.

• 8. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that the completion of the 7 hour version on the Folder (8.5 GB), bitrate about 2 Mbps, encouraged you to expect no problems with the 5 hour version. Do you still have the project file (.prel) for that 7 hour version? It would be interesting to learn if you can still take that to successful burn to Folder (8.5) at this time. When you get so far beyond the real capacity of the intended disc and are left with "Fit Content to Available Space", I am not sure of the expectations.

Thank you for looking at any possible involvement with the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher preference. You have ruled out that factor. During the burn to temporary Disc Encoding files are generated and automatically saved to the place designated in preferences (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disc and Disc Encoding category). How much free space is at that particular save location? Besides that, have we decided that you computer is optimized - no pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, or conformed video files? Still would like to determine if that 7 hour version would be successful now.

Your reported very lower bitrates and their expected affect on quality of the end product would encourage me to discourage that type of situation. But, you need to go with what works for you if what you see is still giving you acceptable quality.

Please consider the above, and then we can evaluate what next.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                          haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

Unfortunately I don't still have the .prel for the 7 hr version but I still have the files burn from it.

Disc encoding shows 431 GB for everything but Media cache which is 307.7 GB (different HDD).

Would I be better to put all of them on the same HDD?

I'm beginning to think that I taken enough of everybody's time and would be better just to go for a separate disc for each half. Unfortunately that just takes up more storage space (physical space not digital) which is in short supply.

Many thanks again for all of your input.

Geoff

• 10. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Thanks for the reply....never hesitate to ask questions, never too many.

The easiest, best successful results are expected from the two disc set.

You could try going with empty

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder (do the burn to with unrendered files)

Media Cache Files Folder (these will regenerate automatically if and when needed)

Windows 64 bit default location, Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/version number

and

Cleaned Media Cache Database

See Edit Menu/Preferences/Media

But those are just wishful attempts to get that successful burn to Folder (8.5 GB). Wonder if editing out some non essential parts of the project would get it through the burn to?

Please consider. As your schedule permits, please update us on your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                              haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

I've deleted everything PE related from all my HDDs (except for the program!) and started again from scratch with exactly the same result. I am now going to put each film on 1 DVD instead of doubling them up. I've wasted enough on your and my time trying for the seemingly impossible.

I'm very grateful for your time and trouble.

All the best

Geoff

• 12. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Thanks for the update.

Good choice rather than cutting away and sacrificing value content. Never a waste of time to explore the possibilities.

Thanks for checking out the suggestions and the follow up in the thread. Appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                  haynesgeoff Level 1

AT

Thanks for the good wishes.

How's this for a further puzzle? I took i film - about half of that I was trying brfore - and left the menu on. It wouldn't burn to an 8.5 GB folder.

I did the same but without the menu and it burnt to a 4.7 GB folder without any problem.

Ain't technology wonderful?

Geoff

• 14. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Interesting.

With the setup that would not go with the menus...

a. How many menu pages and how many Timeline markers?

b. What specific disc menu theme....did you do any extensive customization of the menus?

c. What was the burn dialog's Quality area Space Required and Bitrate immediately before you hit Burn?

With the setup that would go without the menus...

a......

b. What specific disc menu

c. What was the burn dialog's Quality area Space Required and Bitrate immediately before you hit Burn?

Thanks for the updates, hoping to find the keys in the above to overcome technology.

ATR

• 15. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                      haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

Sorry for the delay but I hadn't noted those figures and have been very busy.

With menus (tried Comic Book ans Faux Widescreen)  - 2 markers - 1 Main menu ans 1 stop so only 1 page menu - I only added the title and enlarged the text on the menu -same for both menus

to 8.5 GB folder    7.95 GB and 7.11 Mbps

to 4.7 GB folder     4.37 GB and 3.90 Mbps

Without menus or markers the figure are exactly the same.

I hope that helps.

Geoff

• 16. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Thanks for the additional information.

The 8.5 GB Folder would seem to be in better shape than the 4.7 GB Folder with regard to the deviation from the max bitrate and related expected quality.

Did you go through the usual menu drill

a. At least 5 frames distance between Timeline markers

b. No stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline

c. In movie menu customization area, no overlapping buttons as evidenced by red frames around the overlapping buttons?

Just some thoughts.

ATR

• 17. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                          haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

Unfortunately I can't burn the 8.5 GB file to a DL disc as there's no obvious split (so IMG Burn tells me).

I always use a main menu marker at the beginning of a film and a stop marker at the end. this has never caused me any problems before - have I been lucky so far?

No overlapping buttons on the menus.

All the best

Geoff

• 18. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

I would question whether or not ImgBurn can handle the burn to Folder (8.5 GB), probably can, but....

Please remove the stop marker at the end of the last item on your Timeline. It is not needed there and causes burn to issues. This may be the key.

This comes with a 99.9999999% certainty. If you escaped that probability, it would be highly unlikely - I never say never.

We will be watching for the outcome. Sounds promising to me right now.

To be continued....

ATR

• 19. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                              haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

All of my DVDs have been burned using IMGBurn and some of them are DL from 8.5GB folders. Trouble is, the program has to be able to find a convenient split to be successful.

I'm burning a file to folder at present but will try a menu without the end stop marker later. I have always put a stop marker at the end before and seemingly have been incredibly lucky. Having said that, it occurs to me that previous burns have been with PE 8 or earlier - would that make a difference?

Geoff

• 20. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

My recollection is that the stop marker matter looms as a factor in Premiere Elements (generally) for the success or failure of the burn to DVD disc from within Premiere Elements.

But, I wonder...if you do the burn to Folder, does that stop marker make a difference to ImgBurn. All ImgBurn should be doing is copying the VIDEO_TS Folder to the DVD disc in the correct disc file system? Need to think about that one.

ATR

• 21. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                  haynesgeoff Level 1

Sadly life sometimes gets in the way but I have finally managed to try again.

A file I burnt to 4.7 GB folder was 4.37 GB and 4.09 Mbps without a menu. The same file with a menu was exactly the same size but would not burn to folder - even without a stop marker at the end.

I don't think ImgBurn is a factor as the problem arises before it comes into play.

Geoff

• 22. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Not recommending this, but for troubleshooting purposes....with your present state of 1/2 the original project, do you still get Status = Ready if you do the burn to with no check mark next to Fit Content To Available Space and you in control of the Bitrate with the Quality Slider - even if you have to take it to 1.69 Mbps what I think is the lowest set?

But, please work with no stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline.

ATR

• 23. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                      haynesgeoff Level 1

AT

Yes - from roughly the same size down, as you say, to a minimum of 1.69 Mbps. I have always left Fit Contents to available Space ticked,

• 24. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

In the current plan for a 2 disc DVD-VIDEO set

Right now you seem to be working with 1/2 the original project and burn to Folder (4.7 GB), and still that will not go to a successful burn to disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes) or burn to folder (8.5 GB).

In this current situation, can you get a successful burn to Folder (8.5 GB) with this current 1/2 the original project version (and with menus)?

ATR

• 25. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                          haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

You've misunderstood - perhaps I wasn't very clear!

I can burn 1/2 the original to 4.7 GB folder and then to disc with ImgBurn. What I can't do is burn the full original to 8.5 GB folder despite the fact that i have previously burnt 1.5 of the original to 8.7 GB folder.

It seems that it is a menu that prevents the burn to folder for some reason. Whilst this doesn't matter with 1/2 on 1 disc, it does matter with the full original (or more) on 1 disc.

Geoff

• 26. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Thanks for the clarification. I was still worried that you could not get the compromise 2 disc set project to work for you.

Great news that you can.

So...1/2 project, OK burn to Folder (4.7 GB), with menu and using ImgBurn.

What about, 1/2 project, burn to disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes) with menu and using Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc...did that work too or you did not try that because you are not interested in that?

ATR.

• 27. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                              haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

I can burn 1/2 project to 4.7 GB folder without a menu but not with so it seems to be the menu that's causing the problem.

I haven't tried burning straight to disc but I'll give it it a try, hopefully, sometime this weekend and let you know.

Geoff

• 28. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought was the situation - as you wrote

I can burn 1/2 project to 4.7 GB folder without a menu but not with so it seems to be the menu that's causing the problem.

That is why I was wondering, if this is a matter of disc capacity, what happens when you take your 1/2 project to burn to Folder (8.5 GB) - do you get a successful burn to with menus.

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 29. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                  haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

Interesting ......

I took a file I had burnt to 4.7 GB folder, added a menu and tried burning direct to disc from PE. It encoded fine and started the burn. When I had to go out it was at 4% burn. When I got back 2 hours later it was still at 4 % burn.

I hope this is useful.

Geoff

• 30. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                    haynesgeoff Level 1

Sorry - missed your last question.

With a menu, I can't burn to either 4.7 GB or 8.5 GB folder.

Geoff

• 31. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Referring to post 29, what did you do as described

I took a file I had burnt to 4.7 GB folder, added a menu and tried burning direct to disc from PE.

In that 4.7 GB Folder, you have OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. Premiere Elements does not support the import of the VIDEO_TS Folder, but does support its individual DVD video files that it contains. So, are you saying that you took the VTS_01_01.VOB, imported that into the project, applied menus, and then tried the burn to disc DVD? And, that did not succeed? Assumed you used the DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes.

If you tried to do burn to Folder 8.5 GB for the 1/2 project and that did not succeed, that suggests that you are not dealing with a disc capacity issue.

Please remind me if you have tried another movie menu theme in this project? If so, which ones? But, when you hit Burn to initiate the process, do you get from Encoding Menus stage to the next stage Encoding Media without errors - that 2% error is at the start of the burn to?

ATR

• 32. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                        haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

You said "In that 4.7 GB Folder, you have OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. Premiere Elements does not support the import of the VIDEO_TS Folder, but does support its individual DVD video files that it contains. So, are you saying that you took the VTS_01_01.VOB, imported that into the project, applied menus, and then tried the burn to disc DVD? And, that did not succeed? Assumed you used the DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes."

That is all correct.

The menus I've tried are Comic Book and Faux Widescreen.

When I hit Burn I get: Burning Files to folder then Encoding Media. This all seems to go smoothly (I have never seen any error messages) then it goes to Burning to Folder which stops at 0% for folders and 4% to disc.

My frustration is that I am not trying to do anything I haven't done many times before without any problems.

Geoff

• 33. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Thanks.

We may have been there before, but, whatever the video card/graphics card, please double check both ways for disabled and enabled for the preference "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics and Higher)" found Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

ATR

• 34. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                            haynesgeoff Level 1

AT

This was ticked when I first had the problem but as suggested earlier it is now not ticked.

Geoff

• 35. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                              haynesgeoff Level 1

Don't know if anybody will still be following this thread but here's hoping.

Having put my the set of films I was having trouble with each on a separate disc, I have now gone on to another set. I decided to try putting 2 on 1 disc but is time using 2 menus instead of just 1 as I have always done in the past - it worked.

So I went back to my original problem and tried that with 2 menus and now that works.

I find all this very puzzling but at least I've found a way of doing what I wanted to do in the first place albeit in a slightly different way.

Geoff

• 36. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Many thanks for the follow up and great news that you were able to obtain a burn to. Great job.

Please remind me - when you talk about success with two menus instead of one, are you saying that before you used only a main menu setup whereas now you are using a theme setup with both main menu and scene selection menu? This might suggest a problem with your menu markers, but..... We could explore that for future projects if it would be helpful.

Nonetheless, great news, great job.

Best wishes moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 37. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                                  haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi AT

Many thanks.

"Please remind me - when you talk about success with two menus instead of one, are you saying that before you used only a main menu setup whereas now you are using a theme setup with both main menu and scene selection menu? This might suggest a problem with your menu markers, but..... We could explore that for future projects if it would be helpful."

That's exactly right. I have always just used a main menu in the past so, as I said, whilst this is a workaround which lets me do what I want to do, it's not so convenient when using the discs, though far from being a major problem.

Thanks again

Geoff

• 38. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Geoff

Thanks for the follow up.

If you have the time and interest, we could go into deeper details on the main menu only workflow to determine if we can spot any flaws in that workflow.

ATR

• 39. Re: PE 13 encodes but stops at 0% burn
                                                                                      haynesgeoff Level 1

Thanks AT.

That would be great. I guess we'll both be fairly busy over the next week or so but, if you have the time and inclination to send me a suggested course of action, I'd be very grateful and will follow it as soon as I am able and get back to you with the results.

Have a great Christmas and I wish you all the very best for 2016.

Geoff

1 2 Previous Next