4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 1:37 PM by Berk T. Voiten

Indexing cs6

Berk T. Voiten

How do you index names if the names are listed last name, first name and order is separated by semi colon, e.g., Smith, Joe; Balboa, Rocky; Penny, Will

Is there a key stoke shortcut? I want the names in the index to be in same order: last name, first name.

• 1. Re: Indexing cs6
          Ellis home Level 4

From InDesign Help | Creating an index

•  

In the document window, select the word or words you want to index.

•  

Do one of the following:

• For standard words or phrases, press Shift+Alt+Ctrl+[ (Windows) or Shift+Option+Command+[ (Mac OS).
            • For proper names that you want indexed by the last name, press Shift+Alt+Ctrl+] (Windows) or Shift+Option+Command+] (Mac OS).
          • 2. Re: Indexing cs6
            Berk T. Voiten Level 1

Thanks Ellis, but your answer applies when the names are listed first name last name followed by a comma. I already know how to index names that are presented in this order:

e.g, Joe Smith, Rocky Balboa, Will Penny

This does not work when the names are listed last name, first name — e.g., Smith, Joe; Balboa, Rocky; Penny, Will

Additionally, there is the problem that the last and first name is separated by a comma, and followed by a semicolon.

• 3. Re: Indexing cs6
              Ellis home Level 4

I see. It seems the only way is adding the name from the Index Panel. For some reason, using the keyboard shortcut for word/words just list the first word. There are some scripts for indexing that might do it. Check here: Create an Index from a list of keywords

• 4. Re: Indexing cs6
                Berk T. Voiten Level 1

I ended up going the GREP route although I'm not very good at GREP; but I managed to kludge together a couple of GREP statements that seem to do the trick —

first one reverses Last and First name: [ Find: (\w+), (\w+)   Change to:  $2 $1 ], then one to replace semicolons with commas.

Then I can use the indexing shortcut: Shift+Option+Command+[