7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2016 2:24 PM by Ann Bens

Capture DV tape using HDV camcorder

anogr

Hi,

I have a few old DV tapes that I want to copy to my computer using my (not quite as old) HDV camcorder.

But no video file is created on my computer. Capturing HDV tapes works fine, but DV tapes don't. I have tried to use all combinations of DV/HDV project and DV/HDV capture (that is, four combinations). Premiere Elements won't control my HDV camcorder if I try to capture the DV tape using the DV camcorder option. If I use the HDV camcorder option, I get a warning that the formats do not match but everything appears to be working otherwise during capture. But when I'm done, the video file is almost empty (contains only a few bytes).

My HDV camcorder (Canon HV20) plays the DV tape fine. I'm using Windows 8.1 and Premiere Elements 12.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Capture DV tape using HDV camcorder
          A.T. Romano Level 7

anogr

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 assumed 64 bit. Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Please excuse the mentions, but I will mention the following just in case so as not to take anything for granted....

I am assuming that you are working with firewire connection and NTSC set up...

If you are doing DV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements capture window, your Add Media = DV Camcorder. But before you select DV Camcorder, make sure that the project preset is set for NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen to agree with the DV data recording 4:3 or 16:9. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. If not, then you set the project preset manually according to the following before you select Add Media = DV Camcorder.

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
          • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

If you are doing HDV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements capture window, your Add Media = HDV Camcorder. But before you select HDV Camcorder, make sure that the project preset is set for NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30 to agree with the HDV data. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. If not, then you set the project preset manually according to the instructions above before you select Add Media = HDV Camcorder.

If for some reason, Premiere Elements captures fail, you can consider capturing in another program and then importing the split clips into the project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders.

WinDV   WinDV

HDVSplit  HDVSplit 0.77 beta

Also, please refer to   Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Capture video

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Capture DV tape using HDV camcorder
            anogr Level 1

I'm sorry for not responding to your excellent reply sooner. I had tried all combinations of DV/HDV in project settings and capture, including yours. But I managed to borrow an old DV camcorder and import the clip that way.

Now, I have edited about 40-50 movies of my kids when they were young and realized that one of my video players complains the file format to be corrupt. It appears that Premiere Elements saves .mp4 files incorrectly. Most players do play the files without complains though.

• 3. Re: Capture DV tape using HDV camcorder
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

appears that Premiere Elements saves .mp4 files incorrectly. Most players do play the files without complains though.

Saves? You mean plays?

When a file plays in vlc or wmp it does not automatically means it will play nice in PE.  PE is not a videoplayer its a video-editor.

Post a screenshot of a clip in MediaInfo Windows  in treeview.

On a sidenote: if one want to capture dv or hdv on windows 7 or 8, one usually has to set the firewire driver to legacy.

Changing setting should be done without the camera being attached to pc. Otherwise pc wont see the settings.

Connecting the camera to pc should always be done with the camera off. The firewire on the camera side in not hotswappable.

• 4. Re: Capture DV tape using HDV camcorder
                anogr Level 1

I'm sorry for my limited vocabulary. By "saves" I meant creating a video file from my project after editing. The final video file in .mp4 format will play nicely in most video players, but at least one (don't remember which though) opened a warning dialog box saying the file was corrupt.

• 5. Re: Capture DV tape using HDV camcorder

Just stick to the vlc player that is all you need.

• 6. Re: Capture DV tape using HDV camcorder
                    anogr Level 1

Yeah, VLC is a great video player... today. But I'm a little worried about the future. In 30 years when my kids hopefully have kids of their own, will they be able to play the files? Hopefully.

• 7. Re: Capture DV tape using HDV camcorder

30 years from now imo there will be no vlc, mp4 etc.

We will be watching video (or whatever it called then) in a whole different way.