16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 6:24 PM by A.T. Romano

Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer

benc55122498

Hi,

Here is the scenario. I have a PC which is my friends who bought Adobe Premier Elements 13. The PC was originally on Windows 7 (x64) but is now on Windows 10 (x64). Adobe Premier Elements has been installed throughout but at no point has the sound worked inside the Organizer.

I have upgraded to 13.1 which was potentially meant to have fixed the issue, but this hasn't helped. I also tried the 32bit version of the program to see if that helped.

It is not a codec issue as the same videos play fine in Media Player Classic.

I have uploaded a copy of one of the videos here: Dropbox - Adobe

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

• 1. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
          A.T. Romano Level 7

benc

I have downloaded your file and for several hours have been working on the issue described Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit and Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 and the corresponding Elements Organizers.

If you are working on Windows 10 64 bit and have Elements Organizer 13/13.1, you should be able to get playback of this MPEG2.mpg file (720 x 576 16:9) with AC-3 (Dolby Digital Stereo) video plus audio. The only problem I see is the versions not setting the project preset correctly. I suspect that is due to that interlaced file having a scan order of Top Field First instead of Bottom Field First which would be in accord with the project preset of PAL DV Widescreen project preset.

If interested, I will detail the results that I obtained with these versions in Windows 7 64 bit.

What players do you have on this Windows 10 64 bit computer?

ATR

Add On....Elements Organizer 14 on Windows 10 64 bit is not currently supporting the file. Not sure what to make of that observation yet. At the same time, no problems with the file in Elements Organizer 13/13.1 and 12 on the same computer. Right now I am working with the following players installed on the computers

QuickTime 7.7.6 (Windows 10 64 bit)

MPC-HCx64

VLC Media Player

Windows Media Player 12

• 2. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
            A.T. Romano Level 7

benc

Just an add on update...

Windows 10 64 bit ... Elements Organizer 14 (in case you were thinking about moving from 13/13.1 to 14 to bypass the audio issue with your file.

I am not having any problems with playback of your file in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 player. But, I am with the counter part in 14.

The file is importing into the Elements Organizer with a gray thumbnail. Double clicking that brings up a message of non support. However, I can right click that same gray thumbnail, select Edit with Premiere Elements Editor, and have the file open video and audio into the Premiere Elements project.

So far, I have not seen any problems with your file in the Premiere Elements Editor.

ATR

• 3. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
              benc55122498 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Are you saying that in Elements Organizer 13.1 that you can see the video and hear the sound when you double click on the video?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                A.T. Romano Level 7

benc

I just tried it again this afternoon.

Again, if I import your video into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit, I can double click the file's thumbnail (which has video image) and get good video and audio playback. The display of the file in the player has the video with black borders at the top and bottom.

I cannot do that with Elements Organizer 14 (latest version) on this same Windows 10 Home 64 bit computer. There I get a gray thumbnail (even after update thumbnail). And, double clicking of that thumbnail brings up a non support message presumably from the Elements Organizer 14 player. Presumably since, if I right click that gray thumbnail and select Edit with Premiere Elements, the video audio opens and presents in the Premiere Elements 14 Editor without issue.

ATR

• 5. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                  benc55122498 Level 1

Hmmm well that is strange then.

So the program can definitely work, just got to work out what is different between your computer and the one I have here.

All we did with the files was to "import" from a folder. Should we have done something different?

• 6. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

benc

Thanks for the follow up.

Do you have any other source of video that is different than what you have, but, like your current video, uses Dolby Digital Stereo for its audio? It would be interesting to determine those results.

I have gotten the same results (video + audio)  from at least 4 different routes....Elements Organizer 13/13.1 player giving video and audio for your file. Out of curiosity, have you tried to use the same file (Drop Box sending) that you sent to confirm that it is behaving for me as it had for you previously?

Elements Organizer 13/13.1 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit

(1) File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/from Camera or Card Reader (I had the file on a USB Flash Drive)

(2) File Menu/Get Photos and videos/from Files and Folders

(3) Automatic copy that went into Elements Organizer 13/13.1 when the file was imported into Premiere Elements 14 Editor Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets

(4) Save to hard drive, then import from there into the Elements Organizer File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/from Files and Folders

But, Elements Organizer 14 on the same computer is calling out non support. So, it becomes difficult to suggest download and install an AC-3 codec under the circumstances. If it is an audio codec issue, then perhaps we could think of the issue in terms of access to the codec rather than a missing codec??

Please consider and update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                      benc55122498 Level 1

Hi ATR.

I just downloaded some VOB files with DTS and Dolby sound on them (http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/movie_index.php?type=dolby). Both play fine outside of Adobe Premier Elements Organizer. Both also play fine from inside Premier Elements as imported media and also from inside the preview of the organizer from inside Elements. All my original files also play fine from inside elements and the preview of organizer from inside elements.

Starting to get a bit annoyed with it now... it should be simple!

Ben

• 8. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Ben

Thanks for the replies and additional information. I just want to make sure I am clear on these latest results....

On  Windows 10 64 bit

Premiere Elements 14 Editor - VOB with Dolby Digital imported Add Media/Files and Folders/ - OK with video and audio playback in Edit area monitor

Elements Organizer 14 - VOB with Dolby Digital imported File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/from Files and Folders - was there audio with video playback in the Elements Organizer 14 player?

ATR

• 9. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                          benc55122498 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Still using 13.1, have not tried 14.

1) Premier Elements 14 Editor

• The 1st I mentioned file plays fine with video and audio
                          • The file I downloaded with DTS audio plays video but no audio
                          • The file I downloaded with Dolby audio plays video and audio

2) Premier Elements Organizer with Editor (add media from Elements Organizer)

• As above

3) Premier Elements Organizer (standalone)

• All files play fine with video but no audio on any of them

Ben

• 10. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ben

I incorrectly typed 14 in post 8, I should have typed 13/13.1.

Elements Organizer 14 was a complete failure for me with regard to your file's audio that we shared. Based on my results with 14, I saw no advantage in going to Elements Organizer 13/13.1 to 14. But, since we are not getting the same results with the Elements Organizer 13/13.1, you could explore the tryout of Elements Organizer 14 that comes with Premiere Elements 14.

If we pursue the idea of codec not available to Elements Organizer 13/13.1 for some reason, it might be a consideration to find and download and install a free AC-3 codec. But, be very careful. A lot of those free downloads come with unwanted baggage.

Besides the Media Player Classic, what other players do you have on your computer - QuickTime 7.7.6, VLC Player, other?

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

ATR

• 11. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                              benc55122498 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I tried some more things and still no success.

I tried installing Elements 14 and had very limited success. None of my videos played at all in the Organizer. It said that no codec could be found. From inside Elements I had some better success but worse than 13. All files played video, however only the one with Dolby Digital played sound. The DTS sound one didn't play sound. Also in the organizer I had no thumbnails, but it did create thumbnails from inside Elements looking at the Organizer folder.

I also tried upgrading Quicktime. I found online an installer for 7.7.8 Quicktime which I installed. The PC was previously on version 5 for Quicktime. Still no improvement.

I tried playing all of the movies inside Quicktime and none of them would play.

I have VLC player and Media Player classic, both of with play the files just fine.

Out of interest could you screenshot your installed codecs from http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe (It's a Microsoft tool that lists everything that runs at startup - google Sysinternals if you want to check up on it). Perhaps I can then work out which codec I'm missing and then fix from there?

Thanks

Ben

• 12. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                                benc55122498 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Did you manage to see which codecs you have installed?

Thanks

• 13. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                                  benc55122498 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

• 14. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

benc

Sorry for the delays and detours, but I have been working on ways to diagnosis your MPEG2.mpg with Dolby Digital (AC-3) stereo no sound issue in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 on Windows 10 64 bit.

Here is what I would like you to do.

1. Open Windows Media Player 12. Go to its Help Menu/About Windows Media Player.

2. In the page that opens, look to its bottom to where it has a  "Technical Support Information" link, and click on that link.

3. In Technical Support Information, you will get a comprehensive readout for codecs and such.

Go to the section with the header "MPEG/DVD Filters". Do you see "audio AC3 Filter" in that group?

CaptureAC3.JPG

As mentioned previously, I have no problems with sound from your file at playback of it in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 on Windows 10 64 bit which displays the above in Windows Media Player Technical Support Information.

But again, here is the catch....if I import your MPEG2.mpg with its Dolby Digital (AC-3) stereo into the Elements Organizer 14 on that same Windows 10 64 bit, file cannot be opened, giving off the message "The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compression/decompression (codec) installed."

I think that we have gone through this all before in this thread. The new content is asking you to compare what you have in the MPEG/DVD Filters with what I have listed in Windows Media Player 12's Help Menu/About Windows Media Player - Technical Support Information.

In this situation, I am not sure of the justification of download and installing a free AC3 Filter. Let us see what your MPEG/DVD Filters list looks like.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                                      benc55122498 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have significantly less filters than you, I guess either its not using the AC3 filter, or because I have a much newer version it doesn't like it.

Dropbox - wmpsupport.htm

That's the link to my codecs / filters.

What do you suggest next? Trying to match your versions?

Thanks

• 16. Re: Sound Problems with Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

benc

Regression from 14 to 13/13.1 thoughts.....

Yesterday when the link was posted, I could not open it because of the permissions that you set up in the sending.

I tried again tonight - I did not get the same sign in or else, instead the download button just would not work.

But when all is said and done, you have a file with MPEG2 video compression and Dolby Digital (AC-3) Stereo and a mpg file extension. As said, I can get your file to play back with video and audio in Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 10 64 bit. What I have not stressed is the fact that I cannot get audio playback from your file in Elements Organizer 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, primarily because you are not using that operating system. There the Windows Media Player MPEG/DVD Filters list looks like this

13 AAC.JPG

I have done the following tests which point to the Dolby Digital AC-3 Stereo as the issue here.

I imported your MPEG2.mpg with Dolby Digital Stereo into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and exported it as MPEG2.mpg with Dolby Digital Stereo.

Then I exported it again, this time as MPEG2.mpg with PCM Stereo.

Then I imported each of those exports into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Organizer.

It was the MPEG2.mpg with PCM audio that played back with audio, not the one with the Dolby Digital audio.

Short of converting your MPEG2.mpg with its AC-3, you could try finding a free AC-3 codec online, probably in some codec pack.

Some codec packs can cause unwanted problems. So proceed with caution if you go down that road.

But, as I said before, missing codec does not make sense to me under the circumstances....maybe a non available one?

Often the wrapper format defines the file....one wrapper (file extension) might not work as well with a particular combo of video and audio compression as does another. But the pieces do not fit together if we overview all of this.

ATR