4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 10:35 AM by trshaner

correcting out of focus

iaaronm

hello everyone! idk if this is the right place to ask for some feed back, but im having a bit of trouble with this shot as you can see,

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 11.53.30 AM.png

in the more detailed shot, the persons body goes slightly from focus to out of focus. I was shooting at 2.8 which might be the problem or she might have had a weird back? Also is there a better way to shoot this what would you do? As you can see the sun was completely gone and i was really pushing that ISO. 

Any help on correcting this, and also I included the final edit, thanks! If anyone would like the raw and give it a quick touch up and discuss how to improve it that be great!

IMG_7097.jpg

IMG_7097-2.jpg

• 1. Re: correcting out of focus
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is veiling lens flare caused by the strong sky and water reflection backlighting http://www.imatest.com/docs/veilingglare/. It's especially noticeable in the tree branches above the model's head. The wide-open F2.8 aperture may have increased the flare level as well.

Try using the Adjustment Brush and paint in the whole white sun flared area including the models upper body. I used global Effects> Dehaze 35 setting to reduce flare in the overall image plus the local adjustment brush with the below settings. If you are using LR CC 2015.2 add some Dehaze to the below local Adjustment Brush settings.

(NOTE: The actual settings required with the original raw file will most likely be different.)

Local Adjustment Brush + Global Dehaze 35.jpg

Local Adjustment Brush + Global Dehaze 35 -2.jpg

• 2. Re: correcting out of focus
            iaaronm Level 1

Thank you!

• 3. Re: correcting out of focus
              iaaronm Level 1

wait, how would i avoid veiling lens flare ? Just chomp down on the fstop ? 

• 4. Re: correcting out of focus
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

iaaronm wrote:

wait, how would i avoid veiling lens flare ? Just chomp down on the fstop ? 

Check the suggestions at the Imatest link I provided and this one:

http://www.imatest.com/docs/veilingglare/

Understanding Camera Lens Flare

Stopping down the lens may help some and you can check this using the Depth of Field preview button on your camera. The flare should be visible in the viewfinder. Reposition the camera (or subject) to move the Sun out of the image and use a lens hood or your hand to further block the off-axis sun. Some lenses are more prone to this type of flare and some have almost no issues. My Canon 16-40mm F4L IS produces this type of veiling flare in similar lighting, but my less expensive 17-40mm F4L is much better in this respect.