9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 7:57 AM by GAB Photography

LR CC Not Loading catalogue

GAB Photography Level 1

I have LR CC installed on both my desktop - a Mac - and my laptop - a MAC. For some reason today LR on my desktop will not load up and open the active catalogue, nor will it load and open any of the other backup copies, going back two months. Merely goes into a loop of attempting the load. However catalogue itself must be fine since with my laptop the catalgoue - on an external hard drive - loads and opens fine. Issue seems to be with the desktop copy of the LR CC program itself.

What do I do to repair the LR CC on my desktop?

• 1. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi GAB Photography,

Could you please if Lightroom is running in background?

If it is there, end the task and try to load Lightroom again.

Also, you can try to right click on the Lightroom icon and choose run as administrator.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue
            GAB Photography Level 1

Chetna

No, LR CC 2015 is not running in background. I've rebooted and attempted to relaunch LR CC 2015 several times - same thing each time - I get as far as the "load catalogue" screen, I se;etc the catalogue listing  and LR attempts to open the catalogue but all I get is the "spinning ball" icon as it repeatedly attempts to load and open the catalogue. I am using MAC OS V 10.10.5 as my operating system and right clicking the LR icon does not bring up a menu to select "run as an administrator.". 

• 3. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue

Ohh right. Run as admin would not be available for you being on Mac.

I am sorry I missed that part.

would suggest you to reset preferences for Lightroom and then, try to load the catalog.

Article for instructions to reset : Recover catalog and images after resetting preferences

• 4. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue
                GAB Photography Level 1

Chetna

That did not work either.

1. In attempting to load the catalogue LRCC 2015 does not open fully enough as a program sufficient to let me save the catalogue information before doing the reset preferences. The LR menu bar greys out the "edit" menu option.

2. So I went into Finder in MAC did did a manual copy of the LR catalogue folder.

3. I the tried to navigate to the "com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist" file in the preferences file in MAC OS per the instructions you sent me. However, there is no such file in the Library folder.

4. So I then did a search of my whole Hard drive for that file name - thinking perhaps it was in another folder. However no such file name came up.

5. So I then did a full HD search for any file with "plist" in the name. Found numerous ones BUT none had a complete name of "Lightroom5.plist" and none of the "plists" were attached to a folder with the name "com.adobe.Ligohroom5".

Note:  As I stated in my first note my Lightroom program is "Lightroom CC 2015". It is not "Lightroom 5". Is it possible the preferences file for LR CC 2015 is not the same name as is in the information you sent me to in the "recover catalogue and images after resetting presences" help file?

• 5. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue

You need to follow the below instructions.

1. Quit Lightroom

2. Open Finder and click on Go menu at the top

3. Choose Go to Folder and type ~/library and hit Go.

4. Open Preferences folder

5. Rename com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist to com.adobe.Lightrool6-old.plist

6. Launch Lightroom and check if you are able to get it to work.

• 6. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue
                    GAB Photography Level 1

Chetna

Still did not work.

1. I followed the steps in your note and renamed thecom.adobe.Lightroom6.plist to com.adobe.Lightrool6-old.plist

2. Launched LR CC 2015 and clicked on the name of the catalogue to open it. LR attempted to open but stalled out with the 'spinning colour wheel' icon and never opened the catagoe.

3. I shout down LR and rebooted by MAC desktop and tried it again - no luck. Same result - LR CC 2015 on my desktop will  not open the catalogue.

4. I ejected the hard drive containing the catalogue and attached it to my MAC laptop. LR CC 2015 on my laptop opened the catalogue without any problem. Ran the "check integrity" on the catalogue as well as the 'optimize catalogue' commands on it.

5. Reattached the hard drive  with the catalogue  to the desktop and launched LR CC 2015 - same result; program attempts to load and open the catalogue but fails to do so.

Clearly the program has to be with the desktop copy of LR CC 2015, since the catalogue is opening and working when launched via my laptop.

• 7. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue

Thanks for the update.

Yes, it definitely has to do something with the Lightroom program on the desktop.

Would want you to try the below steps once:

1. Open Finder and click on Go menu at the top

2. Choose Go to Folder and type ~/library and hit Go.

3. Open Application Support> Adobe and rename Lightroom folder to Lightroom-old

4. Make sure that Adobe folder has full read and write permissions.

If this does not help, you might want to try reinstalling Lightroom program on your desktop.

• 8. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue
                        GAB Photography Level 1

Chetna

Unfortunately same results. Guess I will have to try reinstalling LR CC 2015. Since I'm using the creative cloud version of LR how do I reinstall it on my desktop?

• 9. Re: LR CC Not Loading catalogue
                          GAB Photography Level 1

Chetna

Finally got it to load - turns out for some reason I was not checked into the Creative Cloud - it had been deactivated somehow. All it took was to go to the CC app, g oo the top right, left click  and check the preferences, and then sign back in to 'activate' my LR CC application.