7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 4:53 PM by trshaner

Lightroom export colours suddenly off

tss68nl

I updated from windows 7 to windows 10, and all of the sudden my file export colours are way off when I export to disk.

Lightroom shows the colours correctly, any other viewer (including irfanview, windows pic viewer, browsers etc) display the colours exaggerated.

Ofcourse I checked a couple of things:

• Still exporting as sRGB
      • Downloaded irfanviewer as to check if the new picture viewer in windows was off. But also the colour managed irfanviewer is off
      • Checked calibration on my screen, correct, but still the colours are off.
      • If I check, the colours look overdone. They kinda look like an 'untagged' jpg, a jpg that has no embedded profile info so to say.
      • If I get older exported files (exported under windows 7), they display correctly in Lightroom, windows picture viewer, and irfanview. So that kinda rules out a problem with screen calibration, viewer or profile.
      • Furthermore, if I export using for example the plugin for Smugmug export, the colours are correct! And here it's made into a jpg also. So it definately seems something odd with the export to disk functionality of Lightroom.

What on earth is going wrong here? Does lightroom 'forget' to write the proper profile information in the sRGB file?

• 2. Re: Lightroom export colours suddenly off
          tss68nl Level 1

Ok, so I switched the whole monitor to a default sRGB profile. Now:

• When I restart Lightroom, LR now displays the same colour as the exported jpg on disk. However, it is still way off compared to the exported file through smugmug plugin. The effect is reversed: smugmug looks bleached
          • Even worse: My full windows 10 looks bleached. All icons have pastel colours, not full blue, full red, full black.
          • And the worst is yet to come: If I select the calibrated profile again.... it doesn't change back anymore to normal colours.

So now I have:

• Still a correct exporting smugmug plugin, as the exported file to smugmug look just as insanely bleached as the rest of my desktop and internet content
          • A deviating export to disk, which surprisingly looks kind of ok
          • A deviating lightroom as it conforms to the deviating output of the disk export.
          • So all in all: I can now export to disk without surprising myself, but exporting to smugmug is now the reversed issue. Great!

I wonder how other people actually see the exported files

• 3. Re: Lightroom export colours suddenly off
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

tss68nl wrote:

• Even worse: My full windows 10 looks bleached. All icons have pastel colours, not full blue, full red, full black.
            • And the worst is yet to come: If I select the calibrated profile again.... it doesn't change back anymore to normal colours.

The Windows 10 upgrade has been know to replace the monitor profile with an OEM profile that is not compatible with LR. What model monitor and monitor calibrator are you using. If you do not have a monitor calibrator and your monitor is wide-gamut try selecting the Adobe RGB profile in Windows Color Management for your display.

• 4. Re: Lightroom export colours suddenly off
              tss68nl Level 1

The Windows 10 upgrade has been know to replace the monitor profile with an OEM profile that is not compatible with LR. What model monitor and monitor calibrator are you using. If you do not have a monitor calibrator and your monitor is wide-gamut try selecting the Adobe RGB profile in Windows Color Management for your display.

I have a Dell 2413 (indeed wide gamut), and use an X-Rite i1Display Pro to calibrate it every month or so.

After calibrating, the issue still persists. So that would mean Lightroom cannot use the color profiles made/replaced by windows 10, period?

• 5. Re: Lightroom export colours suddenly off

Please close and reopen LR so it can load the new monitor calibration profile.

• 6. Re: Lightroom export colours suddenly off
                  tss68nl Level 1

Restarted the whole PC. Didn't help a bit

Weird thing is, from the browsers, Google Chrome looks bleached just like windows, but the new Edge browser kinda displays the image content correctly.

I think you are right and the update of windows 10 messed up the profile. I just can't get a good profile back into my system. I will take a look at that tomorrow evening. It's 01:30am here. Damn issues

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Lightroom export colours suddenly off

You may have multiple issues: 1) Monitor Profile Hijacked (you fixed with recalibration), 2) Browser color management somehow reset during the Windows 10 Upgrade, 3) LR Export module using Adobe RGB or Pro Photo RGB profile when set to sRGB (Reset LR Preferences file to fix.)

Test you browsers here: WIDE GAMUT ADOBE RGB LCD Monitors Screens Troubleshooting Over Saturated sRGB Color Reviews on the Web Tutorial

The only fully color manged browser that works properly using my wide gamut monitor calibration profile is FireFox: How to configure Firefox color management

As you are probably well aware (but worth repeating) most windows applications (Photo Viewer etc.) are not fully color managed or must be properly configured to use the monitor profile. Microsoft Office is another example and will display over-saturated colors when using anything other than sRGB profile image files with a wide gamut monitor.