• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open each PDF file in a new window?

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening multiple PDF files, Acrobat Reader DC groups them in the same window as tabs.  How can I change so that each PDF file opens in a new window?

TOPICS
Modern Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Hi All,

We appreciate your valuable feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve Acrobat, and we appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share your feedback.  

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you will be able to be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.

We are actively working on all the currently unavailable features, such as 'open cross-document links in the same window'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Launch a PDF>Navigate to Edit>Preferences>General>Uncheck the option "Open documents as new tabs in same windows" and then relaunch Acrobat.

You would now see PDF' opening in new Windows and not in a tabbed format in the same window.

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!  Thank you.  I overlooked the 'uncheck if you don't want' approach...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't seem to have this option in Preferences->General.  I am using Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.  Which menu is this option stored in XI Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option is not available in version XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the latest version Adobe Reader version, do the following:

1) Open any pdf document on your desktop

2) Click "Edit" at the top left

3) Click "Preferences" in the resultant drag-down menu

4) Click "General" in the window that then opens

5) Put a check-mark in the little box at the ninth line down that says "Open documents as new tabs in the same window (requires restart)"

This will solve your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a big mistake in my last reply. It should have said "Uncheck" the little box at the beginning of the ninth line entitled "Open documents as new tabs in the same window )requires restart)."

Sorry about that typo!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 23.001.20093.0 - after updating the check box for "Open documents as new tabs in the same window" is no longer available. Does anybody know how, in this version, I can have each document open in a new window - I HATE TABS!!!

Matt29362810hy2b_0-1681277183293.png

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does you use the new UI of Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd

Thanks for your reply...yes..the UI has been updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can disable this:

Amal_0-1661253905077.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...Perfect thanks Bernd...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Acrobat Pro 64-bit after my company "upgraded" from an earlier version of Acrobat Standard 64-bit to current version of Acrobat Pro but in 32-bit - when I installed Acrobat Pro 64-bit, the install didn't remember any of my settings and your post helped me to configure for window-per-document (like Matt, I hate tabs!) - Thank you very much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT available on my Adobe Acrobat Pro!!! Very frustrating! There is no preferences under EDIT.  And there is no Disable new acrobat anywhere. Please let me know how to fix this.  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMGosh you saved me!  Tabs drive me batty!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent!

The New UI is a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tabs suck, and technically should be illegalized!!  New procedure, open document, drag tab out onto desktop where it belongs, then resize and position as needed...all they did was add more steps, which is the opposite of improvement...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS - the bookmarks are a bit of a pita as well, I've heard of anyone ripping the table of contents pare out of a book and then covering half the page they are try to read, with it.  Maybe that is what you should use the tab for....eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're now in June of 2023 and I cannot find this option in the General tab. Was it moved or removed? I recently reinstalled Acrobat after a reinstall of Windows, and I'm no longer able to change this setting.

Screenshot 2023-06-20 151733.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the "new UI" tabs cannot be turned off. See discussion above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah! I was able to disable new Acrobat and now I can disable "Open in new tab". Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just expect that Adobe will, at some time, switch everyone over to the new UI, since they obviously consider it better in every regard. (It may be the time to start posting feature requests for changes to the new UI).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, but are they going to add back the option to disable Open in Tabs in the new UI? It seems a bit of a step backwards to remove a desired feature. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe don't share their plans, but I think it VERY unlikely that they plan to add back the option to work without tabs. The new design is built around them. If this is important to you, I suggest you post a feature request. When you do, please post a link to it, so other people with the same wish can add their votes. Votes matter, but you need a LOT of votes to overcome Adobe's idea of good design.  https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines