6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 1:05 PM by Peter Luty

Capture date when only the year is known

Peter Luty

What do people do with the metadata 'capture date' if they know the year a photo was taken but not the day or month? I'm scanning photos from the 1930's and have set each one to 01/01/year when I know only the year of the photo. This seems inelegant. Any help would be appreciated. Peter Luty.

• 1. Re: Capture date when only the year is known
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Peter Luty,

Greetings.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Capture date when only the year is known
            Peter Luty Level 1

Hi Rohit

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand how to alter the capture time of a photo but not how to deal with a photo where you only know the capture year and no other information. Perhaps there is no way to do this. With Elements Organiser which I used to use in the bad old days, it was possible to set just the year (e.g. 1935) or, if you knew the information, the full date (e.g. 1/April/1935).

Peter.

• 3. Re: Capture date when only the year is known
              deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi,

As the images that you are scanning are not digital images. And back at that time the capture time information was not saved with the image. As the modern camera do these days.

So if we don't have that information , we will not be able to retrieve that using any Application.

Only way out would be to enter the date manually.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Capture date when only the year is known
                Peter Luty Level 1

Hi Deepakgahlot,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand the information must be entered manually, my query concerns how you enter this information when only the year of the photo is known, not the day or month.

Peter.

• 5. Re: Capture date when only the year is known
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                  What do people do with the metadata 'capture date' if they know the year a photo was taken but not the day or month? I'm scanning photos from the 1930's and have set each one to 01/01/year when I know only the year of the photo.

That's the convention I use:

- Unknown time: 12:00:01 am.  (I don't use 12:00:00 because some old software, though not LR, got confused by times exactly 12:00:00. This may no longer be relevant.)

- Unknown day: 1.

- Unknown month: 1

I then add the keyword "Uncertain date" to any photo with any uncertain capture-date components.

Often I have a batch of slides for which I know the relative ordering from the numbers stamped on the slides.  I'll use times of 12:00:01, 12:00:02, `12:00:03, etc. This then sorts the slides properly when viewing sorted by capture time, which is very convenient.

The industry metadata standards support unknown date/time components, but most software doesn't implement it.  The one program I know that implements (or implemented) it was Photoshop Elements 8 and earlier, and it had a number of bugs with such unknown date components and confused other software trying to read the metadata.

• 6. Re: Capture date when only the year is known
                    Peter Luty Level 1

Dear John

Many thanks for your very interesting reply. I rather suspected that there was no ultimate solution but I do like your way of sorting the photos by using an artificial time. I think that is, indeed, 'elegant'.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply. You've put my mind at rest!

Peter.