8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2015 8:01 AM by A.T. Romano

Aquador

aquador

I use premiere element 13. I can not import video clips from my hard disc to my video project I am currently working with. I have first to choose all files to be able to see the file in the mapp. When I try to import it it says "can not find the code" What is wrong?

• 1. Re: Aquador
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

If you are trying to edit non-camcorder video, the video may well be using a codec that Premiere Elements can't edit.

What steps are you taking to import the videos? Are you using Add Media/From Files and Folders?

• 2. Re: Aquador
            aquador Level 1

I have no problem to edit the film clips but I can not import it from the hard disc. I use both Sony HD camera and GoPro camera.. I have used Add media from files.

• 3. Re: Aquador

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements?

Also, ensure that you have an internet connection. If this is the first time you are editing this type of video, the program may have to download the necessary codec.

Although it's hard to say exactly which codec you need without knowing more about your camcorder. What model of Sony HD camcorder and at which settings? Most camcorders can shoot in a variety of resolutions and can save video in a number of formats.

• 4. Re: Aquador
                aquador Level 1

Now I found one way to solve my problem that I could not import the file. My video I was editing was from my Sony  HDR-PJ740 camera and I imported the file from my GoPro camera directy from the camera, and not from the hard disc. Now I , however, found out that I can not at all import my video clips from the hard disc. I have to open the video Movie I am editing directly when I open Premiere Element. If I first open the program and then try to import the video clipsfrom the hard disc it does not work. So the program can handle my different camcorder-video without problem but I can not import the file from the hard disc. It is no problem to import Pictures from the hard disc.

Should I download different codec, and if so which codecs? Can I solve the problem in Another way?

• 5. Re: Aquador

I recommend against downloading additional codecs. Between Premiere Elements and Quicktime, you have all of the necessary codecs to work with this video and adding more codecs could cause more problems than it's worth.

That said, I don't understand what you mean by: " So the program can handle my different camcorder-video without problem but I can not import the file from the hard disc."

Meantime, can you confirm that both camcorders are set to record your video as 1920x1080 AVCHD? These cams can shoot and save video in a variety of formats.Your Sony, for instance, can shoot in 4 different resolutions, at 2 different frame rates and 3 different quality levels. We need to make sure we're comparing apples to apples here.

• 6. Re: Aquador
                    aquador Level 1

Thank you for your answers. Yes, the camcorders are set 1920x1080 AVCHD.

I want to clarify my sentence: So the camera can handle...

What I mean is that I have no problems to editing my video clips  when I have imported them from camera, but the program say that I do not have the correct codec to import the video clips  from the hard disc.

Please, clarify what you mean with "Between Premeiere Elements and Quicktime you have all necesary codecs to work with,.. I downloaded Quicktime but I could not found the list with different codecs? Where do I found them?

• 7. Re: Aquador

If you have Quicktime and Premiere Elements, you have all the codecs you need to edit AVC video.

But I'm still not clear what you mean when you say "  when I have imported them from camera, but the program say that I do not have the correct codec to import the video clips  from the hard disc."

It's the same video either way, right? How can getting the video one way cause a missing codec error -- unless the files you're trying to add from your hard disc are not the actual video files from the camcorder. And that could be. That's why I recommend people use the Premiere Elements Video Importer (from Add Media/From Camera or Devices) to get the video from their camcorder rather than trying to do it manually using the operating system. When you try to do it yourself, you sometimes grab the wrong files.

• 8. Re: Aquador
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

aquador

You report that you have transferred your video file from the camera to the computer hard drive and are trying to get the video file from there into your project with the project's Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. But, this results in error message relating to codecs. And, if you use Add Media/Videos from Flip or Camera instead of Add Media/Files and Folders, you have no problem.

What happens if you cascade the windows so that you can see at the same time the video file on the computer hard drive (desktop in my example) and the project Expert workspace and you drag and drop the video file from the hard drive to the project's workspace? Do you get the same error message as you do when you use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets?

Drag-and-Drop.jpg

About this file saved to the computer hard drive...what is its file extension? What is the file extension of the file that you do get into the project directly from the camera?

ATR

Add On...a note for clarification...the file extension is not a codec...just the wrapper format for file. I am using it here as a rough identification of the video on the hard drive versus same video from camera that did get into project.