6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 6:35 PM by jc46957964

2015 shape path not snapping to grid

jc46957964

Been having an issue with shape in AE 2015. I set it to snap to grid and everything works, then make another shape and it snaps in a different space, almost in between the grid points. Deleted the shape and started over and it snapped as expected. Can I get snapping that consistently works?

• 1. Re: 2015 shape path not snapping to grid
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where you working at different resolutions in your comp window? (Half, quarter, full, etc.)

• 2. Re: 2015 shape path not snapping to grid
            jc46957964 Level 1

Actually I did try it at Full and again at half to see if it made a difference, the anomaly occurs under both resolutions. Making a bug report

• 3. Re: 2015 shape path not snapping to grid
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure that the grid spacing isn't hiding lines. Make sure that your initial click is close enough to a grid line to get snap to grid to work. Here is a perfect example. Snap to grid is on, grid spacing is 100 pixels with 2 sub divisions and as you can see the shape layer I started and ended close to the grid snapped perfectly into place but the one that I started and ended about half way between the subdivision lines did not snap to the grid. It's not a bug, you just have to be fairly close to the reference for any snapping in AE to work.

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 7.50.28 PM.png

• 4. Re: 2015 shape path not snapping to grid
                jc46957964 Level 1

Adobe_Snap.jpg

In the first shape, the one that snaps to some offset and is annoying, it will not snap to the grid, whatever I do. The only way is start over and then it snaps. Shape A here will never snap I have to delete it and make a new shape, Shape B snaps just fine. What it seems to be is how accurate I am in placing the first rectangle, which I my opinion is the whole point in snapping. I still maintain that it is a bug. But I thank you for your time in helping. In illustrator you can place a point as inaccurately as you like, turn snapping on and move it exactly where you want. I do understand your point about the initial placement to "get snapping to work", but I don't think it should work like that, I think it is wrong. Bug or not it I think you'd agree it can be improved.

• 5. Re: 2015 shape path not snapping to grid
                  dissidently Level 1

Snapping is bad in Illustrator when compared to other illustrative apps. Like CorelDraw. Or Freehand, from whom Adobe had the opportunity to learn...

However snapping in AE is at an entirely different level of useless. I'd call it half baked, but that's a credit it doesn't deserve. It's more like dough.

• 6. Re: 2015 shape path not snapping to grid
                    jc46957964 Level 1

Yup definitely doughy, lol