10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 12:37 PM by shalo54

KeyShot vs After Effect

shalo54 Level 1

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge.

I was looking for a spark animation for welding project and I came a cross KeyShot, I just wanted to know Do KeyShot and After Effect do the same thing?

Thanks

Alex

• 1. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not even close to the same thing. Key Shot is a 3D modeling app and After Effects is a compositing and motion graphics app. If you are doing a wedding project and things like animating stills KeyShot is for creating 3D models. Before this post I had never heard of it. You could create a book in KeyShot and then texture the pages with photos or videos, then flip through the pages but Blender, a free and open source 3D app, could also do that with no more investment than the time it takes to learn a 3D app.

If you just want to create a slide show there are easier options than After Effects and much easier options than learning a 3D app. Lightroom, Mac Photos, and a bunch of other software and even websites build animated slide shows with ease. AE is powerful enough to perform any animated graphic or compositing effect you have ever seen in a movie so there's a big learning curve.

• 2. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

KeyShot doesn't do any modeling, it's strictly a presentation renderer aimed at making imported models look good and rendering them fast.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect

Mylenium, thanks for the clarification. I didn't spend any time on the site except to take a look at the price....

• 4. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect
                shalo54 Level 1

Thank you very much Gentlemen for your responds,

I was looking for creating Welding animation that I found KeyShot.

Currently  I am using Solidworks to create the models and Solidworks Composer to do the animation and explosion and Bill of  material  and so on ( and maybe I will use InDesign to create Users Manual)

I was thinking to use KeyShot to create the animation and rendering the assembly part since   it looked fairly easy to learn and produces great images but I haven't got to the animation part yet to see if it is easier than Composer or not.

I was looking for creating Welding animation that I can add to my online Users Guide.

Just to be clear I not working in this field yet I am just trying to learn as many as programs that I will need for my career change to become technical illustrator/animator.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect

I'm not seeing the correlation between wedding animations and 3D modeling and rendering. KeyShot looks like it's pretty good at creating animations using already created 3D elements but it doesn't look like you can deform your 3D elements like you would need to for flipping the pages of a book. There is no modeling in KeyShoot and it doesn't look like there is character rigging, but it looks like the texturing is very powerful and the rendering speed looks impressive if you have a system with the supported GPU. I don't know for sure because I have not tried it nor am I likely to do so in the near future.

I'm also wondering about your online users guide. Users guide for what? AE is advanced compositing and motion graphics. There are tons of 3D apps for 3D CGI creation. Animation skills that can make you a good living require a lot of study and practice that does not really involve specific software but involves the study of motion and perception. 't can take years to master each of these techniques. Learning all programs that you will need for a career change does not necessarily mean that you need to master all before you start creating. I'd just focus on one area, the area you are the most interested in and see where that takes you. It would really help us give you some advice if we knew what kinds of things you are most interested in. You may be better off just starting with Adobe Illustrator or some other program or you may be better off starting with a 3D app to learn how to make models. 

• 6. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect
                    shalo54 Level 1

Thank you very much Rick for your reply,

I think we are not in the same page . I was talking about WELDING animation not Wedding videos.

I am a graphic designer and I use Photoshop, Illustrator and Corel Draw for almost 5 years now also I used InDesign couple of times. My goal is to become Technical illustrator and create Users manual for machinery or installation guides. some companies have online manuals which can have an animation embedded to show the customers how to put stuff together .

Here is a video that started my curiosity about creating welding animation

CATIA Composer Moto Demo - YouTube

I would really appreciate any advise

Alex

• 7. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect

What I get for reading the forums on my phone.

Welding demonstrations can easily be done by compositing particle effects in AE. You can also use any 3-D app.

I understand now.

• 8. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect
                        shalo54 Level 1

Thank you Rick,

• 9. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect

By the way that demo video of the motorcycle is all 3D. Can't be done natively in AE. This is the kind of thing that you could do in AE without much trouble:

It's just the first example I found and pretty simple.

• 10. Re: KeyShot vs After Effect
                            shalo54 Level 1

Thank you very much Rick,

I really appreciated.

I will post a video here  as soon as I completed my project