6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 8:52 AM by Chetna Srivastava

Emailing in Lightroom 5 Using Export Actions Folder

fjllore

I am so frustrated right now.

This is not the first time I have spent hours trying to get Lightroom to work with my email client (I am using Airmail on a Mac).

I follow the directions and create an Airmail alias and drop it into the Export Actions Folder.

But when I try to Export, all it does is open my Applications Folder.

What in the Heck am I doing wrong?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Emailing in Lightroom 5 Using Export Actions Folder
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi fjllore,

This is happening because you might have selected the preset for email (hard drive) which means exporting on your hard drive for the mail purpose.

To get this preset completely setup go back to export> choose the preset name that you created> and choose the export to location from the first drop down menu which might be set to "Choose folder later" and save that preset.

This "Choose folder later" is enabling the Finder window to pop-up so as to ask you about the location of your hard drive where you want to export these images.

It will export those images and save them at the location which you would choose under Export to location.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Emailing in Lightroom 5 Using Export Actions Folder
            fjllore Level 1

Hi Chetna,

Thanks for the response.

But 'export to 'hard drive'' is the only setting that will show you the Post Processing window at the bottom.

With export to 'email' the Post Processing Window does not show up.

Once you put your email alias into the Export Folder like all the guides out there say to do,

it is supposed to make the app open. It does not. It just opens Finder and the Applications Folder.

Thanks,

Fernando

• 3. Re: Emailing in Lightroom 5 Using Export Actions Folder

Yes, that is right.

It will open up your default mail application but you have to setup the export location for that.

You need to follow the exact same instructions that you did before but I am mentioning them here by adding one more step so that you do not get to that finder window popping up at export.

Here are the instructions that you need to follow :

1. In Explorer (Windows) or the Finder (Mac OS), create a shortcut (Windows) or an alias (Mac OS) to your preferred email application.
              2. Start Lightroom and in the Library module, click the Export button.
              3. Select For E-mail from the Lightroom Presets list on the left side of the dialog box, and scroll down to the Post-Processing Settings area on the right side of the dialog box.
              4. Choose After Export > Go To Export Actions Folder Now. Lightroom takes you to the folder in Explorer (Windows) or the Finder (Mac OS).
              5. Drag the email application shortcut or alias you created in step 1 into the Export Actions folder.
              6. Back in Lightroom, choose After Export > Email application.
              7. Click on the drop down menu next to "Export To:" and choose Specific folder. then, click on "Choose" under the same drop down menu which would open the Finder window and you need to browse and choose a location where you want to save the exported files
              8. Click the Add button to save this new preset as a user-defined preset.
              9. Click Cancel to exit the Export dialog box.
              10. Try to export any of your images from Lightroom and this should enable your mail app to pop-up.

Step 7 is an additional step in this list which you need to do and create a new preset again with these settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chetna

• 4. Re: Emailing in Lightroom 5 Using Export Actions Folder
                fjllore Level 1

Thanks, Chetna,

But this is not working.

I must be dense, forgive me.

I can go as far as step 6.

When I get to step 7, I finally figured out there are two different 'export to' drop downs.

One is at the top and has only 'email, 'hard drive' and 'CD/DVD' and the other one is on the right at the top,

and has 'specific folder', 'choose folder later' and 'same folder as original photo'.

So when it says 'you need to browse and choose a location where you want to save the exported files' I chose Desktop.

This didn't make any difference. It still didn't open the app.

What folder do I tell it to save it to? Do I need to tell it to save it to the Export Actions folder?

Where am I going wrong?

• 5. Re: Emailing in Lightroom 5 Using Export Actions Folder
                  fjllore Level 1

Chetna,

Thanks for your patience.

I got it to work!

The only thing I did different was to uncheck 'put in subfolder' in the

Export Location window at the top.

I do not know why Adobe makes this such a gruelingly difficult process.

We are in modern times where apps are written every day. Short programming code

can simplify the process even further.

It should be integrated to post on any external ap for the web, not just Facebook.

Thanks again, Chetna.

• 6. Re: Emailing in Lightroom 5 Using Export Actions Folder

I understand it took long for you to figure this out.

Glad to know you finally got it to work.

Regards,

Chetna