We recently upgraded from RH5 to RH7 and I am running RH
version 7.00.145 on my machine.
After upgrading, we found there were problems with em dashes
and en dashes, in that they displayed as &emdash; or
&endash in our output. We corrected this with a search and
replace, replacing the erroneous code with RH's code (eg <symbol
After this, however, we noticed that RH7 sometimes copied
HTML comments from within the header and inserted them along with
the code for the em dashes or en dashes. This produces the
appearance of an extra space in the output.
The only way we have found of fixing this is to move HTML
comments from the header to the bottom of the page, then manually
delete the extra comments around the en or em dash.
This problem does not happen with every page that has en
dashes or em dashes and there are no obvious differences between
pages that are affected and those that are not.
Has anyone else encountered similar problems? I would
appreciate any advice on why this problem is occurring and any tips
on how we can stop this.
You need to install all the patches. There were many serious
bugs fixed in 7.01 and 7.02. There is also a 7.03 out now, which
wouldn't hurt to install either. I believe you'll need to install
all three patches in order. You can find information about the
patches and bugs on
Peter Grainge's site.
I don't think the projects you've opened with 7.00 will be
fixed automatically by these patches, but any new projects, or ones
you haven't yet upgraded won't show these issue. For the effected
projects, if you haven't done anything apart from upgrade them, you
could restart with backup copies, but that might not be a
possibility if you've made a lot of changes.
I'm sure Rick, Peter et al. will jump in with additional
info, but you can at least have a look at what Peter has already