17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 8:33 AM by philb76499547

controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists

philb76499547

I am producing an ebook using the command File - Export (actually, as I have a German GUI its Datei - Exportieren. If I get any of the commands slightly wrong that's why).

Normally, I can change the size of the pictures by selecting the picture and selecting Object - Object export options. If I check "User-defined layout" and the appropriate settings, I can, for example, specify that my picture is right-justified and taked up half of the screenwidth.

As soon as I insert a numbered list, or a numbered header, the justification of objects no longer works. It doesn't matter whether the current paragraph has numbering - as long as at least one paragraph earlier in the document was numbered, this doesn't work any more.

Is this a known bug and does anyone know any solutions or workarounds?

Phil, Berlin

• 1. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
          Yves Apel Level 2

Hi,

Can you post a test file (dropbox link, ...)?

At which size and alignment should it finally appear in the ePub?

–Yves

• 2. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
            Derek Cross Level 6

Is this a fixed Layout or Reflowable text ePub. I assume you're using Paragraph Styles?

• 3. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
              philb76499547 Level 1

will do after the week-end (its part of a training I'm doing and the files are saved there)

• 4. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                philb76499547 Level 1

To create this document, I did the following

1. Open a new document and set a text frame
                2. Add a picture with File – Platzieren (sorry don’t know the English term here)
                3. Anchor the picture in the first paragraph
                4. Use Object – Object Export Options to set a user- defined layout, right justified, with user-defined width 50% of the page width.
                5. In the second paragraph, start a numbered list with Text – Bulleted and Numbered list – use numbering
                6. In the third paragraph, return to default paragraph style and add a picture with exactly the same characteristics as in the first

To summarize, what we have here is as follows:

• The first paragraph containing an anchored picture, with export options formatted to be right-justified and filling 50% of the page
                • The second paragraph containing part of a numbered list
                • The third paragraph containing a second anchored picture with export options formatted exactly the same as the first.

The resulting eBook has the first picture formatted correctly, the second not.

A similar effect can be produced by adding a numbered header (instead of a numbered list) in the second paragraph. It doesn’t seem to matter whether paragraph formats are used, or if the numbering is added manually, as above.

What I am trying to produce is a document with the second picture formatted exactly the same as the first. What can I do? (and if this is a bug, is there a workaround?). The InDesign and ePUB files are in a dropbox which I can share with anyone who sends their e-mail address to philbutland(at)yahoo.com

• 5. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                  philb76499547 Level 1

I have found a workaround. If, when I export the ePub (File - Export), I go to the Text page of the export window, I can specify that the numbering is converted to text.

This actually solves my immediate problem (the picture following the numbered list is now correctly positioned) and it also works with numbered tables. I still find it very unsatisfying and would prefer to solve the central problem rather than limiting my other options like this.

• 6. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                    Yves Apel Level 2

Hi,

This is a kind of feature, Adobe integrated with CC. There has been the problem that technically, InDesign lists and ePub lists are completely different. To determine, when a list finishes, Adobe uses the left indent value. So if you start a list and it has a left indent of 0, it ends only at the point where the next text begins with a different indent setting. All other lines between are considered as part of the list and reproduce their formatting (image aligned on the left side, indented to the last numbered list entry). Single lines with anchored images are also considered as such, so in your case it counts the image as part of the list. Sorry, this is as complicated as it sounds. I would also wish this could be improved, but its not that simple to bring different technologies to a common point.

A workaround is to set a different left indent for the list. You only need to apply a left indent of 1px difference to the list as the one used for the text, and it should work.

List-indent.png

You can also find some more details on this as well as some other workarounds in my german book about E-Books with InDesign: dpunkt.verlag :: E-Books mit InDesign CC - Die Profi-Anleitung für ePub, Mobi & Co.

• 7. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                      philb76499547 Level 1

As I mentioned, I did find a workaround by setting the export option for numbered lists to "convert into text"

I did try your fix, but it didn't seem to work

Because of the space required to position the numbers, my list is indented anyway (the paragraph is indented 18px and the first line is indented -18px). I've tried changing these values, but the formatting for pictures after the list is still wrong.

By the way, I have your German-language book on my desk in front of me. If there is section here directly referring to this problem, please let me know of the page number or section number. I had a brief look and couldn't find anything directly connected.

Thanks for the help

Apel Yves <forums_noreply@adobe.com> schrieb am 10:55 Montag, 26.Oktober 2015:

controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists

created by Apel Yves in InDesign EPUB - View the full discussionHi, This is a kind of feature, Adobe integrated with CC. There has been the problem that technically, InDesign lists and ePub lists are completely different. To determine, when a list finishes, Adobe uses the left indent value. So if you start a list and it has a left indent of 0, it ends only at the point where the next text begins with a different indent setting. All other lines between are considered as part of the list and reproduce their formatting (image aligned on the left side, indented to the last numbered list entry). Single lines with anchored images are also considered as such, so in your case it counts the image as part of the list. Sorry, this is as complicated as it sounds. I would also wish this could be improved, but its not that simple to bring different technologies to a common point. A workaround is to set a different left indent for the list. You only need to apply a left indent of 1px difference to the list as the one used for the text, and it should work.  https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-8106092-836200/900-333/List-i ndent.png  You can also find some more details on this as well as some other workarounds in my german book about E-Books with InDesign: dpunkt.verlag :: E-Books mit InDesign CC - Die Profi-Anleitung für ePub, Mobi & Co. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106092#8106092 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106092#8106092 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in InDesign EPUB by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 8. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                        Yves Apel Level 2

Hi,

can you please provide a sample. Otherwise, I may not further help. Lists are explained in chapter 4.4 in my book.

• 9. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                          philb76499547 Level 1

Attached as InDesign and ePub files

In the InDesign file we have 3 lines, which now do the following:

line 1: contains anchor for picture (object output options: centre-justified, 50% of the page)

line 2: contains numbered list

line 3: contains anchor for picture with the same object output options.

I changed the paragraphs settings for lines 1 and 3 so that they are both indented by 1 pixel. Just to be sure, I also changed the paragraph settings for the list, so that the paragraph is indented by 30 pixels and the first line by -24 (the default was 18 and -18).

As you can see in the ePUB file, the position of the second picture is still wrong.

I hope this is enough info. I'll read through section 4.4 of your book to see if I rind anything there.

Many thanks

Apel Yves <forums_noreply@adobe.com> schrieb am 11:40 Montag, 26.Oktober 2015:

created by Apel Yves in InDesign EPUB - View the full discussionHi, can you please provide a sample. Otherwise, I may not further help. Lists are explained in chapter 4.4 in my book. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106183#8106183 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106183#8106183 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in InDesign EPUB by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 10. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                            Yves Apel Level 2

Sorry, no attachments here in the Adobe forum. You can send me the link via pm or using the contact form on my website: ebook-world.eu

• 11. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                              Yves Apel Level 2

I've received the files.

It does not work in your case as you have only a single line defined as list. If there are two or more lines, it works as described above. For me this is a bug. I will describe it to the developers.

You can do the following in between. Add a second numbered row, but leave it blank. InDesign will not export it to epub since it is blank. But it will set the image behind as expected.

2015-10-26_13-31-49.png

PS: Since the list has already a left indent indication, you don't need to add the 1px to the image line.

• 12. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                                philb76499547 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. I made the change that you suggested and the justification was correct.

However

The test file that I sent was a simplification of the original problem, which was caused, not by a numbered list, but by a numbered header.

If, in the file that I sent you, you change the format of the second line from numbered list to Heading 2, the same problem appears. Furthermore, adding an extra line (either of a numbered list of a numbered header) afterwards does not correct the problem.

Is this understandable? If not, I can make the updated files available.

Apel Yves <forums_noreply@adobe.com> schrieb am 13:36 Montag, 26.Oktober 2015:

created by Apel Yves in InDesign EPUB - View the full discussionI've received the files. It does not work in your case as you have only a single line defined as list. If there are two or more lines, it works as described above. For me this is a bug. I will describe it to the developers. You can do the following in between. Add a second numbered row, but leave it blank. InDesign will not export it to epub since it is blank. But it will set the image behind as expected.  https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-8106444-836205/900-479/2015-1 0-26_13-31-49.png   PS: Since the list has already a left indent indication, you don't need to add the 1px to the image line. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106444#8106444 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106444#8106444 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in InDesign EPUB by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 13. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                                  Yves Apel Level 2

Heading 2 works with the same trick. Did you check that the line with the image has a different indent value (0px) as the line with heading 2 (1px). If I take your document, and apply your expected situation, they do not, which causes this error again.

I suggest to take the "Convert to text" option. Automatic lists need some advanced practices as they are hard to manage, as you can see yourself.

• 14. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                                    philb76499547 Level 1

You're right. I forgot to add the indent when reproducing the numbered header. Now it works as expected.

It probably is easiest to convert to text, but its good to know what was causing the original error and what the possible workarounds were.

Thanks for the help.

Apel Yves <forums_noreply@adobe.com> schrieb am 14:42 Montag, 26.Oktober 2015:

created by Apel Yves in InDesign EPUB - View the full discussionHeading 2 works with the same trick. Did you check that the line with the image has a different indent value (0px) as the line with heading 2 (1px). If I take your document, and apply your expected situation, they do not, which causes this error again. I suggest to take the "Convert to text" option. Automatic lists need some advanced practices as they are hard to manage, as you can see yourself. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106523#8106523 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106523#8106523 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in InDesign EPUB by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 15. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                                      philb76499547 Level 1

Actually, I just checked. In the case of numbered headers, you don't even need to add the extra line. Just indenting your header by 1 pixel solves the problem.

In case anyone is experiencing the same problem and is looking for a workaround, I'd summarize the problem and possible workarounds as possible.

1. Picture following a numbered list is not properly justified according to the specified output export options.

Workaround 1: when exporting your ePUB document, on the Text page, select numbering - convert to text

Workaround 2: change the formatting of your list so that it is indented by 1 pixel more (or fewer)                           NOTE: if there is only one element in your list, you need to add an extra blank dummy list element

2. Picture following a numbered header is not properly justified accouding to the specified output export options.

Workaround: change the formatting of your header so that it is indented by 1 pixel more (or fewer).

A more detailed explanation of why these workarounds work is in the above correspondence.

Apel Yves <forums_noreply@adobe.com> schrieb am 14:42 Montag, 26.Oktober 2015:

created by Apel Yves in InDesign EPUB - View the full discussionHeading 2 works with the same trick. Did you check that the line with the image has a different indent value (0px) as the line with heading 2 (1px). If I take your document, and apply your expected situation, they do not, which causes this error again. I suggest to take the "Convert to text" option. Automatic lists need some advanced practices as they are hard to manage, as you can see yourself. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106523#8106523 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8106523#8106523 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in InDesign EPUB by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 16. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                                        Yves Apel Level 2

I don't get it. You repeat my answers in an additional post and mark it then as correct. That's a great thanks for my help

Your conclusion is by the way not correct:

1. To have the image aligned as set in the object export options, the left indent value of the list paragraphs must be different on at least, but not limited to 1px compared to the paragraph where the image is anchored.

2. If the list consists only of a single line, there is a bug in InDesign where the object export options are not honored. > Workaround: Add a second but empty line with the bullet/numbered list activated. See also the post above.

If you want to have the numbers exported as they appear in InDesign, select the "Convert to text" option on export.

• 17. Re: controlling the justification of objects in ebooks does not work after numbered lists
                                          philb76499547 Level 1

Sorry, I don't know how these things work. I had thanked you in  a previous message (and I did mean it, many thanks), and I was trying to sum up for anyone who doesn't want to wade through all the different messages. And yes of course it works when you indent by more than one pixel.

Apel Yves <forums_noreply@adobe.com> schrieb am 15:57 Montag, 26.Oktober 2015:

created by Apel Yves in InDesign EPUB - View the full discussionI don't get it. You repeat my answers in an additional post and mark it then as correct. That's a great thanks for my help  Your conclusion is by the way not correct:1. To have the image the aligned as set in the object export options, the left indent value of the list paragraphs must be different on at least, but not limited to 1px.2. If the list consists only of a single line, there is a bug in InDesign where the object export options are not honored. > Workaround: Add a second but empty line with the bullet/numbered list activated. See also the post above. If you want to have the numbers exported as they appear in InDesign, select the "Convert to text" option on export. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8107051#8107051 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8107051#8107051 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in InDesign EPUB by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.