2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 2:08 AM by skägget

After Effects is freaking out and undoing everything

skägget

I've tried searching for my issue online, but I don't even know what to search for.

Every once in a while, especially when I'm in the middle of a heavyweight and short-deadline-project, my After Effects gets a shot circuit and starts freaking out.

What happens is that it starts to undo everything. I cant do anything to stop it. I just see hours of work disappearing in front of my eyes. I can change programs with keyboard and mouse, but that doesnt stop After Effects. I press escape, i press cmd+q, but nothing helps. I cant stop After Effects until it see fit to stop. Sometimes it last a few seconds, other times over a minute.

When it stops I'm left with reverting to latest save, or recreate what I've done. The redo/history in AE is in most cases unavailable.

I have no idea of why och what is creating this. Sometimes I think it might be a RAM-bug/glitch, because it ALWAYS happens when im working with a heavy project, and I'm working as fast as I can to meet a deadline. (The perfect timing for this, right?) But I have no idea.

It can be my Apple Wireless Keyboard, or Magic Mouse. But I don't know there either. I have not been able to recreate this problem, when it's not happening to me.

It has been happening to me since Aug 2014(When I started to work with CC..), and happens on regular basis. Maybe once a month.

I haven't reported it earlier, since as I said, it always happens when I'm on a short deadline...

I still use CC2014, version 13.2.0.49, since I can't get how that new preview function works in CC2015.

I use a 15" Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013, 16gb of RAM, 256 SSD, 500GB WD Elemets external where all the projectfiles are.

And as I said, Apple Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Anyone else that has experienced this issue?

• 1. Re: After Effects is freaking out and undoing everything
          dissidently Level 1

AE caches keyboard input. So it's most likely that your keyboard is spamming an enormous number of undo commands at some point in time, for some reason. This would explain why you're moving to another app doesn't solve the problem... AE has caught all the undo commands and is relentlessly attempting to do them.

If you have set "undo" to a button/combo on your magic mouse, it could be that, too.

Sidenote: I'm not sure how you work with a magic mouse. I have large hands, and simply can't get along with them. If you think it might be the mouse, try a big, ergo shaped (corded) mouse with high DPI resolution. You might be shocked how much better they are.

• 2. Re: After Effects is freaking out and undoing everything
            skägget Level 1

Hi!

Thank you for your advice.

I can't say that I myself has pressed undo a thousand times, but it might be a hardware bug in the Apple Wireless Keyboard. I will bring my corded keyboard to work and wait and see if it helps.

I will also look into changing mouse. I see how a big ergo shaped mouse might be better, but I've learned to appreciate the gestures on the Magic Mouse.