1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 9:58 AM by Rick Gerard

VFX

Tinashe_z

I have seen a few short films on youtube, were they use after effects to create super powers. I wanted to do the same on a similar project, are there any good tutorials on how its done using the latest version of after effects? Thanks

• 1. Re: VFX
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are about a zillion ways to create super powers. It's all layers and blend modes. It may involve rotoscoping or keying. What exactly are you trying to accomplish. A link to a video or a simple screenshot of a video will give us someplace to start. This one uses stock footage of fire or creates fire with a very good particle system that doesn't come with AE, rotoscope, glow and lighting effects that can be done with shape layers blurs, opacity and blend modes, stock footage of smoke or fractal noise with masks, blurs and blend modes, and some excellent pre-production planning and photography. There's a lot going on here:

Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 9.40.24 AM.png

When you are trying to replicate an effect you have to start by breaking down the shot into layers and then come up with ways to create the images on each layer. Here I see a background layer with the actor on the left and everything else, some glow effects on the lights in the background, some fire effects on at least one layer, some smoke effects on a layer above the fire layer, the actor on the right, some overlaid fire on the actor 's hands and another smoke layer on top of everything.

Everything is pretty basic compositing in this shot. Techniques to learn are rotoscope or rotobrush to separate your footage into layers, blend modes, creating smoke, basic compositing, using opacity and if the camera is moving you'll need to learn about tracking. If I were to teach this shot to a bunch of beginners in a classroom situation It would take about a week, five class periods,  to go over all of the fundamentals and I would expect about an hour of home work every night.

What do you see in this one?

Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 9.53.20 AM.png

I see roto, probably a clean plate, particle systems and deformation probably created with a 3D model.

BEWARE of YouTube tutorials and make sure that the person giving the advice actually knows what they are doing. Most do not give the most efficient workflows and many can back you into a corner and waste a bunch of time.