8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2015 7:00 PM by A.T. Romano

3 Questions: 1 Audio, 1 Video, 1 Rendering

os31776508 Level 1

Hey. I'm trying to add narration to a video in Premiere Elements 13. Here are my problems.

1. When I click off narration window or push done, it stops recording. How can I remove the narration window without stopping the recording process. (See Screenshot).

2. The video doesn't play in real time. It doesn't flow properly, so I can't narrate properly. How do I get the video to play smoothly in real time?

3. There's a render button, and then it renders again when you save it. Do you need to render it twice? If it renders when you save it, why have a separate render button?

Thanks in advance for replies.

• 2. Re: 3 Questions: 1 Audio, 1 Video, 1 Rendering
          A.T. Romano Level 7

os

1. When I click off narration window or push done, it stops recording. How can I remove the narration window without stopping the recording process. (See Screenshot).

As far as I can see, you cannot. You can click drag on an edge of the Narration dialog when it is recording to make a miniature size of it (won't be able to get to the stop button until you resize it enough). What had you hoped to do while the Narration Tool dialog is recording but not visible?

2. The video doesn't play in real time. It doesn't flow properly, so I can't narrate properly. How do I get the video to play smoothly in real time?

Is there an orange line above the video? If so, the Timeline render that content to get the best possible preview. When Timeline rendering is complete, the orange line should be green which means you have the best possible preview. Timeline render

Render button above the Timeline

Press computer keyboard Enter key

Timeline Menu/Render Work Area

3. There's a render button, and then it renders again when you save it. Do you need to render it twice? If it renders when you save it, why have a separate render button?

As a guideline, if there is no colored line or a green line above the Timeline content, then you are getting the best possible preview. No Timeline rendering is available or possible. If the line above the Timeline content orange, the program is telling you that you are not getting the best possible preview. In that case Timeline rendering is recommended, is available, and possible. Timeline rendering is a long story for next time if needed. Sometime you save the project with a "Timeline rendered" look and reopen it to a "Timeline unrendered" look. That is my the focus for the longer story for next time if needed.

Please consider. Any questions, please let us know what supplemental information that you need.

ATR

• 3. Re: 3 Questions: 1 Audio, 1 Video, 1 Rendering
            os31776508 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.

1. I'd like to see what I'm narrating. What is the point in having a narration tool if you can't see what you're narrating?

2. and .3 Will look at the timelines and need for rendering and return with any questions.

• 4. Re: 3 Questions: 1 Audio, 1 Video, 1 Rendering
              A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Thanks for the reply.

But, I am not seeing how the Narration Tool dialog is in your way of seeing the Timeline Tracks. Please refer to screenshot of 13 Expert workspace with Narration Tool dialog opened and not covering Timeline tracks.

13narration.JPG

And you can even make the Narration Tool dialog smaller by clicking and dragging on one of its corner edge.

13Two.JPG

Same situation in the Quick workspace where there is not cover up of the Filmstrip by the Narration Tool when position as illustrated.

Please consider and give more details as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: 3 Questions: 1 Audio, 1 Video, 1 Rendering
                os31776508 Level 1

I was referring to the need to see the video to narrate it. The video was obscured in my screenshot above. Will try minimizing narration window.

With regard to speed of video and color of lines through the timeline, there were yellow lines through the audio and video. I used render button, and it made video play properly. Lines remained yellow. Will return with additional questions.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: 3 Questions: 1 Audio, 1 Video, 1 Rendering
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Thanks again for the follow up. Just some just in case notes as you explore your workflow....

Are you OK with the difference between

a. the no colored line/green/orange line that can appear over Timeline content as an indicator of whether or not you are seeing the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor - with orange indicating Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview

Render11.JPG

and

b. the orange line that runs through the middle of a video or an audio clip - called the rubberband which can be used to control/set certain properties applied to the clip?

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Rubberband Options Detailed

ATR

• 7. Re: 3 Questions: 1 Audio, 1 Video, 1 Rendering
                    os31776508 Level 1

a. Yes to green and orange. Not sure what no line means.

b. I noticed the lines through the audio and video timelines can be moved up or down, but I don't know what for.

• 8. Re: 3 Questions: 1 Audio, 1 Video, 1 Rendering
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

os

Regarding Timeline rendering - you are going to get the no colored line over the video content when the properties of the just arrived file to theTimeline match the project preset description. But that no colored line is going to be short lived since for every edit of the file the line turns orange (indicating Timeline rendering needed for the best possible preview now that you have done an edit on the file). After that, it will be only an orange needs rendering for preview to green does not need rendering for preview cycling with edits and Timeline rendering. You do not have to do this Timeline rendering but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

The link provided should detail what you can control with the rubberband when the clip header is set to the property that you want to control

Example...by default, audio clip rubberband is for Volume. You can increase or decrease the clip volume by moving the rubberband up or down with your mouse curse...by default, video clip rubberband is for Opacity. You can increase or decrease the clip opacity by moving the rubberband up or down with your mouse curse. The blog post details how you can set the rubberband for another property and use the rubberband movement to control that property.

Here is another blog on clip rubberband.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Video and Audio Track Content Rubberband

ATR