6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 2:42 PM by ECBowen

Who here is a creative who is sick of having to understand GPUs?

ekreidler Level 1

Hi -- I'm a motion designer who lives in Adobe Creative Cloud (and C4D), and I own:

- a Mac Pro with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

- a Windows machine with a NVIDIA Quadro 6K and a Tesla K2 (2012 MAXIMUS configuration -- whatever that means. All I know is I've always had to check "use unsupported GPU" in AE. Why would I have thought that NVIDIA's alleged flagship cards (at the time) would be supported by their partner Adobe?)

All of my GPUs are constant frustrations and disappointments. And all seem to be instantly out of date the second you buy them.

(oh yeah, and they're expensive)

Every trip to the NVIDIA web site makes me want to scream. SCREAM. SCREAM.

Imagine a world where Adobe (or Apple...or Maxon...or somebody) provided leadership on explaining how much VRAM you need, the pros and cons of x number of CUDA cores, etc, etc. and how it directly and specifically relates to your daily workflow across AI, PS, AE, Premiere, etc.

Right now I have to run AI CC2015 with GPU unchecked to avoid constant crashing. Awesome!

I get that Adobe hates Apple, but know that this war causes much pain.

I suppose I'll just have to go get that computer science / EE degree, and then maybe I'll know what computer and GPU(s) to buy.

Okay rant done for today. Happy Friday!

• 1. Re: Who here is a creative who is sick of having to understand GPUs?
          JFPhoton Level 3

...I have seen other posts where Mac users are having similar issues, even though their machines have adequate hardware. The consensus is that there is some problem between the Mac OS and  the Adobe software......see if you can find these posts and threads here on this forum.

In general, After Effects barely uses the GPU at all.....the load is ALL on the CPU. If 4k is being used, a minimum of 4GB of video RAM is suggested....more is better.   AE will use ALL the system RAM you can throw at it.

PPro DOES use the GPU for certain GPU accelerated operations, like scaling and certain effects, to greatly accelerate rendering of previews and exporting the timelines which contain those accelerated effects and operations.

Be aware that the use of a SLOW storage system,or, not enough system memory will cripple both of the programs. Hopefully, you have SSDs and at least 32 GB of system memory to avoid hardware bottlenecks.

• 2. Re: Who here is a creative who is sick of having to understand GPUs?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If the GPU acceleration was explained then those using the GPU acceleration media apps would not buy the Quadro cards. The problem you has is the Tesla and driver ie the maximus config. If you take that out of the equation then it works flawlessly on the Titan X which would be allot cheaper. If you have Octane with C4D then you definitely want the Titan X cards. That is what I would suggest.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Who here is a creative who is sick of having to understand GPUs?
              ekreidler Level 1

Thanks for your reply and the information. I will check out the Titan cards. What's the most frustrating is that I feel like both Adobe and nVidia are looking to each other to explain what the best solution is. I feel like each company shrugs and says "it's not our problem."

And of course, it's not just compatibility between Adobe and nVidia -- you have to factor in Element3D, C4D + GPU rendering, AE plugins (Trapcode, etc). Very hard to find the perfect configuration.

It's also frustrating that nVidia is so focused on the video game market. It'd be nice to have an area of the site purely for graphics professionals.

Finally, as a Mac person, I really feel abandonded. I feel forced to even own a Windows machine because of Adobe, and I've had a tough time integrating it into my workflow due to font problems, network problems, incompatible plugins, etc, etc. And it's a killer machine, 64GB RAM, multiple SSDs, etc.

I guess it's the nature of the business these days.

• 4. Re: Who here is a creative who is sick of having to understand GPUs?
                ekreidler Level 1

Oh yeah, and no ProRes on Windows is a real stumbling block as well.

• 5. Re: Who here is a creative who is sick of having to understand GPUs?
                  ekreidler Level 1

Thanks for your reply and the info. Both machines are at 64GB of RAM with multiple SSDs. I had to get the GTX for the Mac solely for Element 3D v2, and I've had a heck of a time integrating my Windows machine into my workflow due to font / plugin / network incompatibilities, plus no ProRes.

Granted, at my small shop we try and do a lot of different things, but I miss the days of just buying the top-of-the-line Mac and knowing you were covered.

I wish there was a spec that Adobe / Red Giant / Maxon / Video Copilot all worked towards. But it does seem to be the nature of the business these days to balance a lot of tech factors.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Who here is a creative who is sick of having to understand GPUs?
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

GPU acceleration is only specific to the MPI language used ie Cuda or Open CL. Beyond that any of the Geforce cards that have the minimum hardware spec will support the Cuda acceleration for that application. The Quadro cards are the same but on average have much lower specs for an equivalent Geforce card yet cost far more. The issue your running into is the Tesla Maximus config that is not supported by many GPU acceleration applications or is problematic with the Nvidia drivers. That is the issue. If you removed the Tesla card and used a Titan X card setting the acceleration to just use the Titan X card it would work fine as long as the application used the Nvidia control panel for Cuda GPU setting. Remove the Quadro and just use the Titan X card or 2 of them and it works for all the applications listed accept for Ray Tracer in AE until Adobe updates their libraries for that. However Ray Tracer is rarely used and that work is better done in C4D. BTW Pro res works fine in Windows. Before there was not a software option to export Pro Res in Windows. Now there are a couple. So there is no reason not to use Windows or PC at this point even for Pro Res.

Eric

ADK