15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 7:33 AM by ECBowen

Best budget system build for premiere pro cc

sankoor2012 Level 1

Hi,

plz let me know the best budget system build for adobe premiere,aftereffects,etc..(mainly for editing purpose)for nonstop realtime play.

i need the total config....can any one plz help me....

• 2. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
          RameezKhan Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to Premiere ProHardware Forum.

Thanks,

Rameez

• 3. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
            cc_merchant Level 4

What is the budget? Best is around $ 50K and upwards.

• 4. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The complete configuration depends on the media you are working with and the workflow. However the X99 platform is the overall best platform to build for realtime playback at this point for most media. I would suggest starting there with atleast 32GB of ram and the 5930K or 5960X CPU. The 5960X would be worth the money by far if realtime playback performance is the goal. The best Nvidia card to get would depend on the media and budget.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
                RjL190365 Level 4

Like cc_merchant stated, what is your maximum budget?

Well, it depends in large part on which video source, codec, resolution and compression that you're planning to work with. For example, a budget ($500-ish) PC is usually still unsuitable for editing anything higher than 480i/p SD DV material. And editing typical HD (1080i/p) source material still generally requires a total system budget of more than $1,000. And 4K? Well, that generally demands a $2,500+ minimum budget.

In addition, the more compressed the source material is, the greater the CPU processing power but the lesser disk performance it requires. Conversely, if your source material is less compressed (as in relatively large file sizes per minute for a given codec and resolution), you wouldn't need so much CPU but you would need an extremely fast and extremely large capacity disk system. There is absolutely no free lunch at all whatsoever between CPU, RAM and disks.

• 6. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
                  sankoor2012 Level 1

Hi,i selected this configuration for my budget,is this suits for adobe premiere pro cc and after effects or anything to change,plz help me...

i am editing red 4k footage and some dslr footage also

gtx 750ti

Asus Z97-PRO

cpu cooler - coolermaster hyper 212 evo

ram 16 gb - vengeance

Intel Core i7-4790K

2tb hard disk

600 watt

• 7. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
                    cc_merchant Level 4

That is definitely below par for Red 4K and DSLR material, or any material for that matter. Only a single HDD is not enough. The rest is far too weak for this material! CPU, memory, video card, PSU are all insufficient. Double or triple the budget and you may have a chance.

For ideas, have a look at Choosing the components

• 8. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
                      RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

that build would only be good for hd footage as RjL190365 suggested. your build is ok for a tight budget build, but could use more hdd's like cc_merchant points out. you could do proxy editing with the red 4k footage with this build to get decent performance.

• 9. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
                        JFPhoton Level 3

hah !!....you would be FAR better off buying a higher level, new Asus gaming laptop !! In fact, unless you are working with very difficult industrial grade codecs and intensive timelines, a newer Asus gaming laptop would probably be MORE than sufficient for your needs.

Newer laptops coming out very soon are available with the faster Skylake CPUs....one which turbos up to 3.8 Ghz! Plus, they have NVidia GPUs which range from 4 to 8 GB of video memory. They even allow for up to 64GB of system memory !!....though 32 should be fine.

just plug in a big external monitor and you are good to go !!

if you need more "horsepower", then build a desktop based on the X99 MOBO and the Haswell E CPU. The NVidia 980ti is a good match with an overclocked 5960x 8 core CPU !

• 10. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc

a $1k skylake laptop will be around 30% slower cpu and the nvidia gpu about 1/2 the power, and wont be as up-gradable as a desktop pc. to get a laptop with a cpu that will perform close to the i7-4790k may cost over 2x as much of desktop build.

• 11. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
                            JFPhoton Level 3

Bill Gehrke and I have the same Asus gaming laptop from 2 years ago, and they work fine....the G 750JW. We each upgraded the memory to 24 GB and put 2 SSDs in the machine and get good performance, even though the NVidia 765M GPU only has 2 GB of DDR5 video memory.  The four core Haswell i7 in our machines turbos up to 3.2 Ghz. I got mine refurbished for only $800 !!

The newer laptops have better GPUs and CPUs. To beat them with a desktop means spending between two and three thousand dollars minimum. If the DSLR footage  he mentioned is 4K, as well as the "Red" footage.....he MAY need the the more powerful desktop X99 Haswell E solution with a new Samsung 950 Pro PCI SSD for media and project files.

• 12. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
                              sankoor2012 Level 1

Hello sir,

Can u plz give me the better config list for 4k footage,because now a days 4k footage is common for editing,so plz tell me the best bang for the buck config,thanks

• 13. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc

your asus probably has the i7-4750HQ, which is almost 30% slower than the i7-4790K. there are even i5 cpu's that are close to the i7-4750HQ speed. the GTX 765M is again about 30% slower than the 750 ti. i don't argue you can't edit with those laptops, others here would say that cpu and i5's are not fast enough. but i do argue that its not the best value, and i didn't see the OP ask for mobile/laptop. if the OP couldn't afford the new i7-4790k build, he could look for a cheaper build, or even look for used or refurbished desktops and laptops. chances are he would find a deal on a faster desktop than laptops for the same price. a desktop still has the benefit of being easier and cheaper to fix and upgrade.

current laptops with the fastest mobile or desktop cpu's are $2-4k. all that money and they would still be slightly slower than the i7-4790k which can be built or bought for $1k. newer skylake mobile cpu's might slightly surpass the i7-4790k at the top end, but will be in a $3k+ laptop. a $2-4k desktop build or bought system would perform 20-45% faster than these similar priced top-of-the-line laptops.

• 14. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc

the x99 platform eric and others here mentioned will be alot better for 4k. these systems will be $2-4k in price. they need good quality motherboards, psu's, and cpu coolers to get the most out of the i7 cpu by overclocking. the i7-5820K is entry level for 4k, it can perform close to the i7-5930k when both are overclocked. the i7-5930k has more pcie lanes, they would help if you plan on loading up on multiple video cards and other pcie cards like raid, pcie ssd, or video capture/out cards. the i7-5960x is a big step up in performance and price, it would be recommended if you can afford it. the gtx 980 ti would be good for red footage.

there are lots of x99 threads on this forum, you can read thru them to get build examples and discussions over those builds.

• 15. Re: Best budget system build for premiere pro cc
                                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If you need to get the desktop platform you are looking at then get the Skylake 6700K with a Z170 board and 32GB of DDR4 with a 970GTX. That atleast will give you decent performance with 4K even though desktop is currently limited to 4 core/ 8thread. That skylake chip is unlocked as is the DDR4 which has a significant impact on GPU acceleration applications. I would not suggest a laptop for 4K unless you have to get a mobile system. The performance will always be 25%+ less on a laptop for the configuration and more money as well to get anywhere close to the desktop

Eric

ADK