2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2015 7:38 AM by Bo LeBeau

Index Card Template on Letter Size Page

brainstewn Level 1

I'm Learning the basics of InDesign for my own use in my businesses.  I would appreciate any advice in creating an InDesign file/template to create four index sized flash cards on a 8.5 x 11 size page.

I stumble along with what I have but I would like to learn how to put cut marks on the page and lock the index card area to the page. Thank you in advance for your help and experience.

Visitor Host Flash Cards.jpg

• 1. Re: Index Card Template on Letter Size Page
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This would be very similar to setting up business cards, so here's a link to my old business card templates that you can pick apart: Download - Hightail

In your example above I would set up something like the template for bleed -- you need to pull those color bars beyond the edge of the cards for trimming if they are supposed to touch the edge, or I would hold them back at least 1/8" from the trim line (in which case you can butt the cards against each other and use a single cut between them), but keep in mind that if you print these yourself on a desktop printer the sheet-to-sheet registration is likely to be off +/- that 1/8 in either direction.

• 2. Re: Index Card Template on Letter Size Page
            Bo LeBeau Level 4

Flash card generally have the question on the front and the answer on the back.

For the backside you need to reverse the right to left order so the correct answesr appears on the back of the cards.

If you are unsure about this, just take a piece of paper and write the questions  as they would appear in the final produce, then on the backside write the answers in the proper position.

if you do this It will be very clear how you have to set up your flash cards template for double sided printing.