4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2015 9:50 AM by Rick Gerard

Making Particle effect follow image path

Webbie_Works

I have my image being "drawn in" with the stroke effect, I am trying to get the particle effect follow the path of the image coming in. You can see below. I have tried and looked everywhere but the particle effect doesnt follow the path.

• 1. Re: Making Particle effect follow image path
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

An easy way to do this is to add a solid above your animated text. If you used a path to reveal the text layer and the text layer is at 100% scale then you can simply select the path and press Alt/Option + M and then Ctrl/Cmnd + C to set and copy a mask keyframe. If you used some other technique to reveal the text layer then you can set the blend mode of your solid layer to one that will allow you to see through the layer or adjust the opacity and use the pen tool to draw a path that you want the particles to follow. When the path is done just press Alt/Option + M and Ctrl/Cmnd + C to set and copy a mask path.

Now add your particle effect to the solid and change the blend mode back to normal or set the opacity to 100%. Find the Emitter location and set a keyframe then press Ctrl/Cmnd + V to paste the path to the emitter position. This will give you a motion path with the middle keyframes set to rove over time. You can grab the last keyframe and drag it out to adjust the timing of the motion of the emitter point. If you used more than one path to trace the text then just repeat the process for each path.

• 2. Re: Making Particle effect follow image path
            Webbie_Works Level 1

I tried what you suggested. I might not have doen it right because the particles dont move from the first keyframe.

ae_screen.png

• 3. Re: Making Particle effect follow image path
              Webbie_Works Level 1

I believe I figured out. I appreciate your help.

• 4. Re: Making Particle effect follow image path
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should not have an expression for Producer Position, you should have a bunch of keyframes. Set a keyframe for mask 1, copy that keyframe, select the Producer Position keyframe and paste. You should see this:

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 9.47.08 AM.png

Note how I adjusted the timing of the producer point keyframes. Here's a project file: Dropbox - particleOnPath-CC12.aep (note: your browser may add a .txt extension to the app file. Just delete it and it should open)