3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2015 11:45 AM by djmattyz

replicating evening sunlight?  tips please

djmattyz Level 1

im doing a comp where i want to replicate the evening sun with its long shadows

the text is going to travel along the road and arrive in front of the camera.

however, by using the lights in AE i cannot seem to find the correct one . "spot" and "point" are the ones im using but the shadow seems to dissipate too soon and too much with these.  in order to replicate the shadow i need to place the light rather closely behind the text, and this causes a problem when the text is travelling into the screen.

see below

galwigo.jpg

• 1. Re: replicating evening sunlight?  tips please
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Shadows depend on distance and angle. Directional light only uses angle so it most accurately mimics the sun but it only casts shadows with hard edges. You can simulate softer edges by using a shadow catcher a blur and the multiply blend mode. You can also use a point light but you will have to set the falloff to none and move it a long way away from the text layer. If you get the angle and distance right a point light will work. 

• 2. Re: replicating evening sunlight?  tips please
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

however, by using the lights in AE

Why would you even? Simply duplicate the layer and distort it with a corner Pin until it looks like a shadow, then manipulate it with blurs, masks and a simple linear wipe to get correct fading and adjust its coloration and opacity.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: replicating evening sunlight?  tips please
              djmattyz Level 1

well that is an interesting point,   i figured that creating a shadow from a light would be a better way since it will animate naturally with the object and the alterations to the shape etc...would be more natural as a whole, as long as i have "light" and a "solid" placed correctly.

if i create a duplicate , then i  have to manually immitate the properties of a shadow, potentially overlooking some property which i may be unaware off.,  but i see your point, i will try it..