8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2015 6:29 PM by A.T. Romano

A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product

ajprice1994

I would really appreciate help with this. Watching the original video alone in quicktime, it appears perfectly fine. When I imported it into premiere elements, it started flashing static on uneven intervals. I went through with the project anyway since I thought it would fix itself but no, the finished product is affected in the same way. This is the finished product:

Symphonie Espagnole - YouTube

Any idea what this is? And how to fix it? Is there a way to go about this that doesn't involve me starting the entire project over again?

Thanks,

Alex

• 1. Re: A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what operating system?

What model of camcorder was the problematic video shot with and what is its resolution and frame rate?

Was all video that you assembled for this project shot with the same model of camcorder or are you mixing other video formats/resolutions/codecs with this video?

• 2. Re: A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product
            ajprice1994 Level 1

Hi Steve,
            I'm working on Yosemite 10.10.5 and Adobe Premiere Elements 13.0

I don't know the model of it since I was borrowing it. Resolution is 1920x1080 and H.264 codec. File type is .mov I don't know how to find the frame rate. I though that might be problem and was hoping for help with that.
            Each camera angle was shot on a different camera. One other camera has the same resolution of 1920x1080 and withH.264 codec. File type of this is also .mov. A few of the other files I was using are in .m4v with varying resolutions.

• 3. Re: A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product

It might be worth opening a couple of sample videos in Media Info and checking on the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codec.

Open a sample of the first clip you added to your timeline, since it's the clip that will trigger the program to set the project settings. Then open the troublesome clip (especially since you aren't sure of the camcorder sources). Then open the Project Settings (under the Edit menu) and note the settings on the General page.

Once we know that information, we can better figure out what might be going on.

Premiere Elements usually sets up its project settings to match the first clip you add to your timeline and it can usually blend other formats pretty well. However, since the Quickime/MOV format can represent such a vast array of video codecs and m4v's are generally a delivery format rather than an editing format (It's what iTune videos are distributed as) it might be wise to get a good idea what we're working with before we start looking for a solution.

• 4. Re: A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product
                ajprice1994 Level 1

I opened a brand new project and imported these two videos. One works perfectly, the other is problematic. Yes I tested them and there is still a problem, even in the new project and even when the first clip I added was the one with the problem.

The problem clip (Lalo.mov):

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 8.01.46 PM.png

The good clip (balcony 1.mov):

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 8.02.15 PM.png

The project settings:

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 8.02.44 PM.png

• 5. Re: A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product

What are the project settings AFTER you add one or each of those clips to your timeline?

• 6. Re: A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product
                    ajprice1994 Level 1

Adding in the problematic clip:
                    Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 5.58.19 PM.png

I closed the project without saving and instead added the good clip to the project:
                    Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 6.01.29 PM.png

Just out of curiosity, I opened the problematic clip in iMovie to see if it's not possible to be edited but it seems to work fine in that program.

• 7. Re: A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product

I'm not sure why you're having problems. The program seems to matching the specs of either clip.

Maybe it's only when you combine them in the same project you're having problems?

In most cases, Premiere Elements can blend different formats so that they match whatever project settings it's using. It's possible these two clips are different enough that it can't.

• 8. Re: A single camera angle is flashing static in editor and in final rendered product
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ajprice1994

If you have not done so already, please take the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 into the free MediaInfo program (Tree View), go to the video properties, and determine if there are 1 or 3 frame rates listed there. I am suspecting that this problem video was recorded with a variable frame rate. What made me wonder about that is the frame rate given in your screenshot is described as a "Average Frame Rate". You do not see that in the properties that you list for the no problem video. Just a guess. For MediaInfo Mac, please see if you can get that information. http://mediainfo-mac.en.softonic.com/mac

Premiere Elements typically has problems with video with variable frame rates. Symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. Worth the look at. Typical remedy is to take the problem video into the free HandBrake to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version. And, then you import that into the Premiere Elements project.

While you are in MediaInfo, please find out if the 1920 x 1080 has a frame rate of 29.97 progressive or interlaced frames per second. You will see that under the listing for Scan Type. If the video is interlaced you will see Scan Order as well as Scan Type. We may want to adjust the Premiere Elements project settings based on your finding.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR