7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2015 3:30 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I change the background color of a rolling title?

jabarker1978

I added a title using the Aquarium title style, but when I chose to make the title roll, the background turned black automatically. If I can't use the Aquarium as the background, then I'd at least like to make it blue. Does anyone know how to do this?

• 1. Re: How do I change the background color of a rolling title?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jabarker1976

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

Assuming Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, 13/13.1, or 14 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit....

Expert workspace

Project Assets

Panel Options

New Item

Color Matte - create a blue Color Matte

Then

Video 2 goes your title template credits file

Video 1 goes your blue color matte

Please consider and let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I change the background color of a rolling title?
            jabarker1978 Level 1

Thank you for the quick response A.T Romano. Sorry for the lack of information - 1st time I've ever asked a question.

I'm working on a Mac (OS X El Capitan - version 10.11.1) with Premiere Elements 14. I tried to follow the directions you gave, but it didn't do what I wanted. I think I created a new, blue Color Matte, but it didn't show up in the Video 2 line - the color matte and the title roll looked like they were both on Video 1.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: How do I change the background color of a rolling title?
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you need to be in expert mode.  Just place the items manually as ATR described.

• 4. Re: How do I change the background color of a rolling title?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jabarker1978

Thanks for the reply.

Please give this another try.

You in the Expert workspace of Premiere Elements 14

In the Expert workspace

You create a blue color matte in under Project Assets/Panel Options/New Item/Color Matte

(The color matte will be placed automatically on Video 1 at the position of the Timeline Indicator.)

You drag from the Aquarium_credits thumbnail under Title & Text Tab to its position on Video Track 2.

Do you not see

MacColorMatte.JPG

This is done with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 64 bit but is expected to be the same in Premiere Elements 14 Mac.

Please consider and let us know where we differ.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I change the background color of a rolling title?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jabarker1978

Already mentioned details...reminder

All that you and I have written already points to you working in the Expert workspace.

1. You mention Color Matte...that feature is only in the Expert workspace/Project Assets..and you mention Video 2 (tracks are only in Expert workspace).

2. My instructions called for the Expert workspace

But the answers will be in the details, and we should be able to sort through them to get the effect that you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I change the background color of a rolling title?
                    jabarker1978 Level 1

Yes, I was in the Expert workspace. I did get it to work this time, but sort of created a new problem. My rolling title text already existed in Video 1 and when I created the Color Matte, it placed it next to the text also in Video 1. So I grabbed the rolling title text and dragged it up to Video 2, which worked. But now it has created a blank space in video 1 between the Color Matte and my next clip (a still image). I can highlight that blank space and right click, but the option of "Delete and Close Gap" is greyed out for some reason, so I can't choose it. Now I can't figure out how to get rid of that blank space in Video 1!

Thanks again!

JAB

• 7. Re: How do I change the background color of a rolling title?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

JAB

Thanks for the follow ups.

There are time when Delete Close Gap will not work, especially when there is content above or below the gap. Other factors can be involved also.

Can you move the clips into their correct locations using the mouse cursor?

How is it that you have a clip next to your rolling credits? Usually the rolling credits end the video presentation.

Please consider the above, let me know if you can put things in place with the mouse cursor. If not, please give more details, and we will figure out the factors and target them.

Thanks.

ATR