Hi, I have had Premiere elements 9 for a while and it has worked with very few issues.
However, the last few times I have tried to open a project or create a new one, it will not allow me to do so. It kicks in as if it is about to boot up but then the blank grey screen appears with the menu at the top and the only menu items which are not greyed out are File>Open, File>New, File>Open Project, File>Open Recent Project and File>Exit.
Sometimes (but not always) this message appears: "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project."
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program using the installation CD. I have a windows vista PC.
What computer operating system - Vista 32 or 64 bit?
Have you gone through the usual drill
1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?
2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1? You are working from 9.0.1?
3. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?
4. When you did the uninstall/reinstall was the free ccleaner run through between the uninstall and reinstall?
5. Is your computer optimized - no pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video - hard drive defragmented - operating system updates (if any) updated....
Please consider and then let us know the results. We will then decide what next. Any questions, please ask.