3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2015 10:20 PM by RoninEdits

new edit pc feedback

albalapse

Hi all, I'm putting together a new edit PC and looking for feedback from the lovely people here

(ie if you have better or more appropriate component suggestions, I'd love to here from you!)

I'll mainly be editing AVCHD 1080p (Canon C100)  and 4k (Panasonic GH4) but also be processing raw timelapse footage so starting of with 1000s of raw stills, processing to 6k Cineform / prores 444)

CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 800

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K Extreme Six Core 3.5GHz [15MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz]

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X99-A Intel X99 ATX (Socket 2011-v3, 3x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2x PCI-E x1, 10x SATA 6Gb/s, SATA Express, M.2 Slot, 2x

USB3.1, 8x USB3.0, 8x USB2.0, 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX) (MOBO-X99-A)

MEMORY: 32GB Kingston DDR4 2133MHz (4x8GB) (KVR21R15S4/32)

GRAPHICS CARD: 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GDDR5      ========== Possibly 2 of them in SLI..... would that be worth it? ============

POWER SUPPLY: 700W be quiet! System Power 7 Premium Silent PSU 80+ Silver Certified

BOOT DRIVE : 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Drive ========== Possibly 2 of them in raid 0.... would that be worth it? ========

As for other HDD (media, working video files etc) config.... looking for advice on that... I was thinking either....

a) 2,3 or 4 4tb WD black in raid 0 for 8,12,16tb or total storage (fast enough as raid 0)
      b) 1 (or 2 in raid 0) 1tb SSD drives for the active project(s), plus a 4tb sata to 'off load' finished projects (while still having instant access for any minor changes)
      c) As option b), but instead of SSD, one of the new m.2 drives for media, but they're max 512gb.... and my average wedding that is shot with 3 GH4 in 4k comes to      350gb.... so 512gb is cutting it close. m.2 sound great, but I need A LOT of internal storage, that I can edit from....
      d) Thunderbolt PCI card and thunderbolt G RAID?

With each option above, should I still have a separate drive for media cache / page file etc.... I have read (and am re reading the tweakers page about disc config, but I'd love to hear from someone who has built a machine recently for similar purposes

OS = Windows 7, 8 or 10..... currently on 7, should I just stick to 7 or get 8 (or 10!) ?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated folks

Thanks

• 1. Re: new edit pc feedback
          cc_merchant Level 4

2 Video cards are not worth it and even if you decide to get 2, do not use SLI.

Boot drive: Forget the EVO. Go for the 850 Pro instead. Don't raid a boot disk. That is asking for trouble. If you want extra speed for loading programs, use a 950 Pro m.2 disk for that.

Get a bigger PSU, around 850W gold label.

Your storage options are not options. NEVER, never store valuable and precious data that you cannot afford to lose on a striped array. Disaster disaster has the nasty habit of striking at the most inconvenient moment you can imagine...

If you need a lot of storage space, the only sensible solution is to add an Areca raid controller and use a raid3 array for your media and projects and be very meticulous and disciplined with your backups.

From the way you describe it, my suggestion for your storage needs would be:

• C: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, OS, programs, pagefile
          • D: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2, media cache & previews
          • E: Areca ARC controller with around 5 HDD's (Seagate Constellation or similar enterprise disks) in raid3, media, projects and exports
          • F: Backup drive

For OS I would go for Windows 10.

• 2. Re: new edit pc feedback
            albalapse Level 1

Hi CC_Merchant, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I had a feeling dual GPUs wouldn't be that much of a benefit.

As for the striped array, the data on them would be backed up on 2 separate externals (not matter what internal / current project HDD set up I go for, ALL data would be backed up externally)

I had discounted a raid controller purely to keep costs down, but will look into it again.

Cheers

• 3. Re: new edit pc feedback
              RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

multiple drive designations are a carry over from hdd's that were 3-4 times slower than the fast sata ssd's of today. with sata ssd's in raid it can remove the need for separate cache drives etc. pcie ssd being well over 10x faster than hdd's would be plenty without any raid.

os/apps drive: samsung 850 pro 256gb or samsung 850 evo 500gb. (evo 500gb is more comparable to the 256gb pro).

projects, cache, previews and media: pcie ssd such as samsung 950 pro or intel 750, or sata ssd raid with samsung 850's. (raid could be raid 0 from motherboard, but better from raid card like an areca for raid 0, 5, or 6.)

backup drive: external for extra safe, or internal for ease of use. holds clone of os/apps drive, backup of media/projects, and .proproj file copies (daily or more frequently).

no raid is safe, just safer. anything could happen from raid corruption, accidental user file deletion, virus file deletion or encryption, power surge/loss, or hardware failure of the raid controller that will cause data loss. the only safe option for data in a computer (including raid with parity), is to have data backed up off-site and verified using a file hash/checksum. an external hdd backup is fine for most, cloud/internet storage can work for a second off-site backup as well. usually the media placed on the media drive isn't changing by the minute or hour, so using raid 5 or 6 (safer than raid 3) to prevent data loss from constantly changing data isn't as important. any new media being added to the raid should be immediately copied to the backup location(s). ssd's like the samsungs have alot lower failure rate than hdd's, this is another reason why parity raid with ssd isn't as critical. odds are by the time these ssd's get worn and are at risk, you would be on to another computer build with the latest and greatest storage devices. if the raid build was using lots of drives, such as a 6-8 drive setup in raid-6, it makes more sense to use the raid with parity to repair a drive failure instead of rebuilding the entire raid and having to copy over all the data, and separate backup(s) would still be recommended.

windows 10 is fine, just google for spyware or tracking disable guides to turn off the built-in spyware.